Hard drive destruction, BOFH style

Niklas Karlsson

Feb 3, 2018, 4:54:54 AM2/3/18
I randomly came to think of a former cow-orker (and then non-PHB at a
later gig). He subscribed to the BOFH philosophy of always keeping a
LART handy, and it was a big orange ice pick. When we decommissioned a
bunch of servers, it was time to destroy the (mechanical) hard drives,
since they contained sensitive data.

His approach? Use the LART. It did kind of fsck up the painted concrete
floor he was doing it on, but I'm sure it was therapeutic. He failed to
use eye protection, but nothing happened.

Niklas
--
Later I was talking to my bosses boss and this module came up. I remarked that
the module seemed to be written by someone with a disturbed mind. My bosses

Garrett Wollman

Feb 3, 2018, 1:45:20 PM2/3/18
In article <4svgke-...@news.leftmind.net>, AdB <ab...@leftmind.net> wrote:

>I had at one point tried drilling holes through the drives, but even a
>metal-drilling bit gets dull way too soon if you've got a pile of drives.

This is what we do, on the drill press in the machine shop. I've
tried to convince them that it would be more entertaining to use the
water-jet cutter instead,[1] but that would apparently be too much work.

-GAWollman

[1] The laser cutter doesn't do metal AFAIK. Or at least not anything
thicker than foil.
wol...@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is

Julian Macassey

Feb 3, 2018, 3:52:33 PM2/3/18
On 3 Feb 2018 09:54:52 GMT, Niklas Karlsson <ank...@yahoo.se> wrote:
> I randomly came to think of a former cow-orker (and then non-PHB at a
> later gig). He subscribed to the BOFH philosophy of always keeping a
> LART handy, and it was a big orange ice pick. When we decommissioned a
> bunch of servers, it was time to destroy the (mechanical) hard drives,
> since they contained sensitive data.
>
> His approach? Use the LART. It did kind of fsck up the painted concrete
> floor he was doing it on, but I'm sure it was therapeutic. He failed to
> use eye protection, but nothing happened.

One of the most satisfying pastimes is making loud noises
and breaking things. When you are also destroying hated objects
it is more satisfying. Hard drives destroyed with a large sledge
hammer or to get fancy a high powered rifle is time well spent.

--
“Inside every revolutionary there is a policeman”. - Gustave Flaubert

Niklas Karlsson

Feb 3, 2018, 4:40:54 PM2/3/18
On 2018-02-03, AdB <ab...@leftmind.net> wrote:
> Niklas Karlsson posted thus:
>
>>His approach? Use the LART. It did kind of fsck up the painted concrete
>>floor he was doing it on, but I'm sure it was therapeutic. He failed to
>>use eye protection, but nothing happened.
>
> Seriously, Always Wear Eye Protection. And if you're destroying hard
> drives without hearing protection you may need to ensure that your method
> is one that makes that advisable.

I don't disagree. I thought it was pretty luserish of him not to wear
any. This was not the only sign of testosterone overdose he displayed.

He was quite different when, a couple of years later, he became my
non-PHB at another place of orking. It appears becoming manglement made
him grow up. I consider that strong evidence that he was not
fundamentally a luser.

Niklas
--
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right

Alan J. Wylie

Feb 3, 2018, 5:16:54 PM2/3/18

Julian Macassey <jul...@tele.com> writes:

> One of the most satisfying pastimes is making loud noises
> and breaking things. When you are also destroying hated objects
> it is more satisfying. Hard drives destroyed with a large sledge
> hammer or to get fancy a high powered rifle is time well spent.

On Wednesday, ICANN will be ceremonially destroying a hardware security
module that used to contain root zone KSKs

https://www.iana.org/dnssec/ceremonies/32

| 9. CA and Contractor performs the destruction of each HSM part
| repeatedly.

But how? It's a public event. Anyone near El Segundo interested in
finding out?

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience

Niklas Karlsson

Feb 3, 2018, 5:33:55 PM2/3/18
On 2018-02-03, Alan J. Wylie <al...@wylie.me.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday, ICANN will be ceremonially destroying a hardware security
> module that used to contain root zone KSKs
>
> https://www.iana.org/dnssec/ceremonies/32
>
>| 9. CA and Contractor performs the destruction of each HSM part
>| repeatedly.
>
> But how? It's a public event. Anyone near El Segundo interested in
> finding out?

Oh my. I would _love_ to attend if I was not so far away.

I know some former cow-orkers[0] who would as well.

If any lurking or non-lurking Monk does attend, please provide a report!

Niklas

[0] I had a brief gig at the NIC for .se and .nu
--
The last time I took a taxi in Paris, the driver was polite to me.

This was about three years ago and I'm still in mild shock.
-- Roger BW

c...@mail.netunix.com

Feb 3, 2018, 8:00:03 PM2/3/18
AdB <ab...@leftmind.net> wrote:
> Julian Macassey posted thus:
>>it is more satisfying. Hard drives destroyed with a large sledge
>>hammer or to get fancy a high powered rifle is time well spent.
>
> Speaking of which, why is it that the vernacular contains no mention of
> low-powered rifles, or even medium-powered ones? Is it a canonical
> kenning? Are they perhaps being compared with things that are not rifles
> and which occupy the low end of the scale? Is this just a matter of
> salesmanship applied to (for example) the puissant and mighty .22 Long
> Rifle cartridge and the fearsome, yes, "high-powered" weapons which may
> spew it forth? And of course anything that'll put your eye out is
> something that should not be lightly dismissed.

One of pterry's last wishes was that the hard drive containing a number
of unfinished books should be taken to the Dorset Steam Fair and laid
in the pathe of the steam rollers parading in the main ring.
This was done and said drive became very flat.

Julian Macassey

Feb 4, 2018, 3:58:57 AM2/4/18
On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 22:16:50 +0000, Alan J. Wylie <al...@wylie.me.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday, ICANN will be ceremonially destroying a hardware security
> module that used to contain root zone KSKs
>
> https://www.iana.org/dnssec/ceremonies/32
>
>| 9. CA and Contractor performs the destruction of each HSM part
>| repeatedly.
>
> But how? It's a public event. Anyone near El Segundo interested in
> finding out?

One of their sysadmins used to work for me. I have
e-mailed him for further details.

Alas, I am no longer in the LA area, so I couldn't
attend.

--
Women are striving to interfere too much in every department of
life. - Charles Bradlaugh MP. Hansard 1890

Julian Macassey

Feb 4, 2018, 4:02:46 AM2/4/18
On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 18:39:12 -0500, AdB <ab...@leftmind.net> wrote:
> Julian Macassey posted thus:
>>it is more satisfying. Hard drives destroyed with a large sledge
>>hammer or to get fancy a high powered rifle is time well spent.
>
> Speaking of which, why is it that the vernacular contains no mention of
> low-powered rifles, or even medium-powered ones?

Like cars, no one talks about low powered cars, even when
discussing the Citroen 2CV.

There are low powered rifles, we just call them rifles.
But if the rifle can punch holes, it is referred to as a :High
powered rifle".

--
Germany is known as 'the land where Israelis learned their manners'.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Julian Macassey

Feb 4, 2018, 4:38:22 AM2/4/18
On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 08:58:56 -0000 (UTC),
Julian Macassey <jul...@tele.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 22:16:50 +0000, Alan J. Wylie <al...@wylie.me.uk> wrote:
>>

>> On Wednesday, ICANN will be ceremonially destroying a hardware security
>> module that used to contain root zone KSKs
>>
>> https://www.iana.org/dnssec/ceremonies/32
>>
>>| 9. CA and Contractor performs the destruction of each HSM part
>>| repeatedly.

Also from the URL above:

| This ceremony will be held in El Segundo, California, USA, and
|observers must meet all costs in travelling to the ceremony.
|Requests should be submitted at least 45 days before the ceremony
|(i.e. by 24 December 2017)

So, the regsitration window is closed.

My buddy who slaves for ICAAN had this to say:

+ I have a sledge hammer, I have some hard drives that could use
+ some destruction, and I'm a short drive from where this is
+ happening at the moment. It's sure as fuck not going to take me
+ 4 and a half hours though..

--
"Sir Robert Walpole said, he always talked bawdy at his table,
because in that all could join." - Samuel Johnson

Steve VanDevender

Feb 4, 2018, 5:01:40 PM2/4/18
Julian Macassey <jul...@tele.com> writes:

> My buddy who slaves for ICAAN had this to say:

> + I have a sledge hammer, I have some hard drives that could use
> + some destruction, and I'm a short drive from where this is
> + happening at the moment. It's sure as fuck not going to take me
> + 4 and a half hours though..

Some people have a lot more frustration to work out.

--
Steve VanDevender "I ride the big iron" http://hexadecimal.uoregon.edu/
ste...@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu PGP keyprint 4AD7AF61F0B9DE87 522902969C0A7EE8