Echo?

Niklas Karlsson

Jan 31, 2018, 9:04:18 AM1/31/18
So I thought I'd break the silence since I felt the need to vent,
albeit not related to my personal place of unrecovery.

Reading the news today, I found that a certain gigantic moron is getting
the chance to fsck up yet another government agency in .se. He's just
finished messing the already ailing police up even worse, having
previously done a number on the immigration authority and the social
insurance agency. And those are just the best-publicised examples.

Now he'll be heading up the Civil Contingencies Agency[0] and will no
doubt leave it unrecognisable once he's finished.

The man[1] must have some fantastic dirt on people in high places.

Niklas

[0] Domestic acronym is MSB, which seems apt, as protecting the most
significant bits of society is pretty much its purview.
[1] Using the term VERY loosely.
--
"Some people think that noise abatement should be a higher priority for ATC. I
say safety is noise abatement. You have no idea how much noise it makes to have

Wojciech Derechowski

Feb 2, 2018, 1:23:14 AM2/2/18
On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 14:04:16 +0000, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
> Reading the news today, I found that a certain gigantic moron is getting
> the chance to fsck up yet another government agency in .se.

How about Foreign Office goon telling the family of a climber to fsck off
when they ask the FO to guarantee some 50 grand for a resque helicopter
to fly up the Nanga Parbat in Pakistan. We may need gigantic morons to
actually improve the gov in pl.

--
WD

Who is Entscheidungs and what is his problem?

Niklas Karlsson

Feb 2, 2018, 4:12:24 AM2/2/18
On 2018-02-02, Wojciech Derechowski <wdd...@um5000.mystora.com> wrote:
> How about Foreign Office goon telling the family of a climber to fsck off
> when they ask the FO to guarantee some 50 grand for a resque helicopter
> to fly up the Nanga Parbat in Pakistan. We may need gigantic morons to
> actually improve the gov in pl.

Charming. I'm not sure how our government would behave in that
situation.

Did I just start a "my government sucks harder than yours" DSW? Well,
it's better than the dead silence that seems to be de rigueur around
here these days.

ObDrinkOfTheBastard: Ardbeg Uigeadail. Mmm. So tasty, and it packs a
good punch at 54.2%.

Niklas
--
Nowadays, I assume that the shinier something is, the more it sucks.
It's much quicker overall.

Niklas Karlsson

Feb 2, 2018, 4:13:02 AM2/2/18
On 2018-02-02, Wojciech Derechowski <wdd...@um5000.mystora.com> wrote:
> --
> WD
>
> Who is Entscheidungs and what is his problem?

Oh, and fix yer sig.

Niklas
--
> So, what do *you* do for a living?
I sit in a chair, pressing small plastic rectangles with my fingers
while peering at many tiny, colored dots. -- Peter Manders

Niklas Karlsson

Feb 2, 2018, 4:41:07 AM2/2/18
On 2018-02-02, Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
> I'm living through the UK's long slow economic and political suicide,
> so hey.

Mmm. Different flavour of suicide to our "the USSR collapsed, nothing
bad can ever happen in this corner of the world again", I suppose.

> In a completely different direction: Opihr, spiced gin.

Sounds interesting. Do you drink it neat or use it in something like a
G&T?

Niklas
--
Technology makes it possible for people to gain control
over everything, except over technology.

The Horny Goat

Feb 2, 2018, 5:13:33 AM2/2/18
On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 06:23:00 -0000, Wojciech Derechowski
<wdd...@um5000.mystora.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 14:04:16 +0000, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
>> Reading the news today, I found that a certain gigantic moron is getting
>> the chance to fsck up yet another government agency in .se.
>
>How about Foreign Office goon telling the family of a climber to fsck off
>when they ask the FO to guarantee some 50 grand for a resque helicopter
>to fly up the Nanga Parbat in Pakistan. We may need gigantic morons to
>actually improve the gov in pl.

Presumably that's a typo and you meant PK. With your name I presume
you know which country uses the abbreviation PL.......

Wojciech Derechowski

Feb 2, 2018, 6:36:11 AM2/2/18
On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 10:13:30 +0000, The Horny Goat wrote:
>>to fly up the Nanga Parbat in Pakistan. We may need gigantic morons to
>>actually improve the gov in pl.
>
> Presumably that's a typo and you meant PK. With your name I presume
> you know which country uses the abbreviation PL.......

No, I meant .pl. As for .pk all I can say is that you need to buy a permit
to be allowed on the mountain and take a liason officer on your team from
.pk military whom you feed, cloth and pay. His job apparently is to tell
you that if you need a helicopter it's 50 grand upfront.

WD

Niklas Karlsson

Feb 2, 2018, 7:19:43 AM2/2/18
On 2018-02-02, Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
> Feels more like "the world was just starting to move in the right
> direction, so let's throw it back to the 1950s we don't personally
> remember".

Overall in the world, yeah, that's more like it. But in the 1950s we had
an actual military, and besides the occasional spy, people cared about
InfoSec.

Good sigmonster.

>>> In a completely different direction: Opihr, spiced gin.
>>Sounds interesting. Do you drink it neat or use it in something like a
>>G&T?
>
> G & Ginger Beer was what was recommended to me, and it works rather
> well. The only gin I habitually drink neat is The Botanist.

Hmm. May have to try that if I can get my hands on the components.

Niklas
--
"As someone noted, the US government is basically a highly-armed insurance
company."

Peter Corlett

Feb 2, 2018, 7:52:44 AM2/2/18
Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
> On 2018-02-02, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
>> Did I just start a "my government sucks harder than yours" DSW?
> I'm living through the UK's long slow economic and political suicide, so hey.

Honestly, I left the country alone for five minutes, and it went and did that.
Fortunately, the UK is at least serving as a cautionary tale, and we no longer
hear the right-wing fucknugget parties pushing for a similar Dutch exit.

>> ObDrinkOfTheBastard: Ardbeg Uigeadail. Mmm. So tasty, and it packs a good
>> punch at 54.2%.
> In a completely different direction: Opihr, spiced gin.

We're currently working through the old reliable favourite of 12yo Lagavulin,
plus a surprise new entrant of the 12yo "Viking Honour" Higland Park which is
rather moreish. Ironically, I have little reason to drink now I no longer live
in London.

The Horny Goat

Feb 2, 2018, 6:02:59 PM2/2/18
On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 13:47:44 +0000 (UTC), Roger Bell_West
<roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:

>I drink because I like the taste of the stuff. I know, not really
>appropriate here...
>
>--
>So shepherd's pi is tethera point yan pethera yan pimp covera tan
>sethera pimp tethera pimp hovera covera methera covera tethera tan
>tethera hovera pethera sethera tan sethera pethera tethera tethera
>hovera tethera tan methera covera pimp and so on? -- Anon

40 years later I am still amazed my high school math teacher didn't
get into trouble for telling his (underage) class that a good way to
remember the first digits of pi was to remember the phrase "Sir, I
need a drink alcoholic of course!" and count the letters in each
word....

3,1415926!

(He ta/ught us a couple more lines for another 15 digits or so but
that's all I remember....wouldn't have been a big thing if we were all
of age but when the class in question is composed of 15 year olds!)

Maarten Wiltink

Feb 3, 2018, 10:30:47 AM2/3/18
"Niklas Karlsson" <ank...@yahoo.se> wrote in message
> On 2018-02-02, Wojciech Derechowski <wdd...@um5000.mystora.com> wrote:

>> How about Foreign Office goon telling the family of a climber to fsck
>> off when they ask the FO to guarantee some 50 grand for a resque
>> helicopter to fly up the Nanga Parbat in Pakistan. We may need gigantic
>> morons to actually improve the gov in pl.
>
> Charming. I'm not sure how our government would behave in that
> situation.

I'm surprised to be saying this, but over here below the water line,
we have a private institution that I'd be going to. The auto club.
(They started as the bicyclists' club, and now do lots of foreign
assistance.)

They're eerily competent. Last time my brother broke his back and slept
if off in our living room[0], they hired a private ambulance from
_inside_ the Tyrolean border to repatriate him from just across the
border where he was in the hospital, and picking fights with arrogant
physicians quite independent of them. Funny, that.

Then they sent the bill to my house (right), in my name (wrong). That
was merely hilarious, and easily sorted out. Wasn't fifty grand, either.

Tebrgwrf,
Maarten Wiltink

[0] That actually happened twice. Both parts of it, in combination.

Niklas Karlsson

Feb 3, 2018, 5:14:22 PM2/3/18
On 2018-02-02, Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
> On 2018-02-02, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
>
>>Overall in the world, yeah, that's more like it. But in the 1950s we had
>>an actual military, and besides the occasional spy, people cared about
>>InfoSec.
>
> ObLink: https://twitter.com/jack_dot_bin/status/957415671666696192

Ooh. That is a _neat_ service. Thanks for the indirect pointer.

> Given a choice, users will pick dancing rabbits over security, every
> single time.

Sad but true. I wonder if I should be studying Russian. I'm already
somewhat conversant with Cyrillic, not so much with any language that
uses it.

We _are_ part of the Joint Expeditionary Force, so perhaps you guys will
help out if/when it happens. Not so sure we can count on help from NATO,
since we're not a full member.

Or perhaps I'm being alarmist. I don't know. Some very smart
military/semi-military people are bringing up various scenarios as at
least somewhat likely.

I feel that the people behind the decision to dismantle our defence (not
only military, but also contingencies such as food and fuel stores and
shelters) should be convicted of high treason, and given a harsher
punishment than is available in our current judicial system.

Niklas
--
For my birthday I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier...I put them in the same
room and let them fight it out.

Wojciech Derechowski

Feb 4, 2018, 1:34:41 AM2/4/18
On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 15:30:39 +0000, Maarten Wiltink wrote:
[...]
> Then they sent the bill to my house (right), in my name (wrong). That
> was merely hilarious, and easily sorted out. Wasn't fifty grand, either.

Now .fr and .pl govs are picking up the bill for the resque of the Franco
Polish pair on Nanga Parbat. The French woman has been flown out with severe
frostbite but the Polish bloke should be dead by now.

To be fair to Pakistanis they flown another .pl team from K2 to Nanga Parbat
in order to start the resque op on the ground so that's at least two
helicopters.

WD

Wojciech Derechowski

Feb 4, 2018, 1:34:41 AM2/4/18
On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 22:14:19 +0000, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
> Sad but true. I wonder if I should be studying Russian.

Yes you should, IMHO, but probably for different reasons. You see, somwhere in
.ru there should already be a group of trained professionals ready to serve in
the gov of you future repubic.

OTOH being able to read not only the classics - you may need this even in maths
ocassionaly - but also their current news gives you an insight into their way
of thinking. Very entertaining.

WD

Niklas Karlsson

Feb 4, 2018, 4:24:23 AM2/4/18
On 2018-02-04, Wojciech Derechowski <wdd...@um5000.mystora.com> wrote:

> To be fair to Pakistanis they flown another .pl team from K2 to Nanga Parbat
^^^^^
flew

Must keep up the pedantic standards of the Monastery. Oh, and you still
need to fix yer sig.

Niklas
--
Keeping UUCP running is starting to seem a lot like keeping a 130-year-old
man who smokes 4 packs a day on life support because he's the last person

Niklas Karlsson

Feb 4, 2018, 4:27:52 AM2/4/18
On 2018-02-04, Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
> On 2018-02-03, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
>>Sad but true. I wonder if I should be studying Russian. I'm already
>>somewhat conversant with Cyrillic, not so much with any language that
>>uses it.
>
> I think they have all the quislings they need already. ("Nothing so
> terrible as selling out and then finding that nobody's buying.")

Not quite my intent. I'm sure many Norwegians spoke excellent German
without actively supporting the Nazi regime.

Niklas
--
I got Gandhi to nuke me for the first time ever last week. I felt so
proud :)

Niklas Karlsson

Feb 4, 2018, 4:36:04 AM2/4/18
On 2018-02-04, Niklas Karlsson <ank...@yahoo.se> wrote:
> On 2018-02-04, Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
>> On 2018-02-03, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
>>>Sad but true. I wonder if I should be studying Russian. I'm already
>>>somewhat conversant with Cyrillic, not so much with any language that
>>>uses it.
>>
>> I think they have all the quislings they need already. ("Nothing so
>> terrible as selling out and then finding that nobody's buying.")
>
> Not quite my intent. I'm sure many Norwegians spoke excellent German
> without actively supporting the Nazi regime.

For that matter, s/Norwegians/members of the Norwegian resistance/

Also, it appears my plan worked. There are all sorts of excellent Monks
posting. Mwahaha!

Niklas
--
"... I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.

Niklas Karlsson

Feb 4, 2018, 4:45:49 AM2/4/18
On 2018-02-04, Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
> On 2018-02-04, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
>>Not quite my intent. I'm sure many Norwegians spoke excellent German
>>without actively supporting the Nazi regime.
>
> But unlike WWII the jackbooted thugs you have to deal with
> post-takeover will be largely your own country's collaborators. (I'm
> sure you can spot who they are now. We certainly can here.)

Certainly. And unfortunately I'm convinced they'll make out like bandits
come September.

> Actually sending in an occupying army is terribly expensive compared
> with economic warfare.

Very true. Hence the "little green men", etc.

Niklas
--
"He protested I couldn't just have a beer for lunch, so I went
back to the bar and got a second beer." -- Peter Corlett

Wojciech Derechowski

Feb 4, 2018, 5:18:24 AM2/4/18
On Sun, 04 Feb 2018 09:24:21 +0000, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
> Must keep up the pedantic standards of the Monastery. Oh, and you still
> need to fix yer sig.

Yes. Thank you.

The Horny Goat

Feb 4, 2018, 3:23:22 PM2/4/18
On 4 Feb 2018 09:27:50 GMT, Niklas Karlsson <ank...@yahoo.se> wrote:

>I got Gandhi to nuke me for the first time ever last week. I felt so
>proud :)

That's a Civilization reference and the history of that particular bug
would make any BOFH proud.

The Horny Goat

Feb 4, 2018, 3:24:57 PM2/4/18
On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 11:43:14 -0500, ab...@leftmind.net (AdB) wrote:

>Roger Bell_West posted thus:
>>But unlike WWII the jackbooted thugs you have to deal with
>>post-takeover will be largely your own country's collaborators. (I'm
>>sure you can spot who they are now. We certainly can here.) Actually
>>sending in an occupying army is terribly expensive compared with
>>economic warfare.
>
>Same thing's happening all over. We have a prominent politician
>publically admiring China's "basic dictatorship", eulogizing Castro, and
>being far too fond of regimes like Venezuela's.

If you're talking about Canada then you mean the prime minister who
yes could be considered "prominent"

Mans Nilsson

Feb 17, 2018, 5:45:47 AM2/17/18
Den 2018-02-02 skrev Wojciech Derechowski <wdd...@um5000.mystora.com>:
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 14:04:16 +0000, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
>> Reading the news today, I found that a certain gigantic moron is getting
>> the chance to fsck up yet another government agency in .se.
>
> How about Foreign Office goon telling the family of a climber to fsck off
> when they ask the FO to guarantee some 50 grand for a resque helicopter
> to fly up the Nanga Parbat in Pakistan. We may need gigantic morons to
> actually improve the gov in pl.

Getting told by the EU that you do not live up to minimum[0] standards of
democracy and freedom of press is an achievement. Not a desirable one,
of course, but still, they worked very hard to achieve this goal. One
for effort, I guess.

--
Måns Nilsson primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE SA0XLR +46 705 989668

[0] Minimal in more than one way; ie. both a threshold and a low one.

Wojciech Derechowski

Feb 17, 2018, 11:41:42 AM2/17/18
On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 10:45:46 +0000, Mans Nilsson wrote:
> Getting told by the EU that you do not live up to minimum[0] standards of
> democracy and freedom of press is an achievement. Not a desirable one,
> of course, but still, they worked very hard to achieve this goal. One
> for effort, I guess.

Not really. No. With current brand of catholic right in government it's sort
of a happy coincidence. They are so incredibly cunning they even managed to
shoot themselves in their collective foot lately trying to ban certain kind
of language WRT German death camps on the Polish soil.

WD

Mans Nilsson

Feb 17, 2018, 4:35:51 PM2/17/18
I think that your cathegorisation of Prawo i Sprawiedliwość as "catholic right"
indeed is the "happy coincidence" that makes people ignore the similarity of
their rule with the endless sequence of "fsck-Poland-over" regimes the country
has seen over its chaotic existence.

--
Måns Nilsson primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE SA0XLR +46 705 989668
... If I had heart failure right now, I couldn't be a more fortunate man!!

The Horny Goat

Feb 17, 2018, 9:40:36 PM2/17/18
On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 21:35:50 -0000 (UTC), Mans Nilsson
<mans...@besserwisser.org> wrote:

>> Not really. No. With current brand of catholic right in government it's sort
>> of a happy coincidence. They are so incredibly cunning they even managed to
>> shoot themselves in their collective foot lately trying to ban certain kind
>> of language WRT German death camps on the Polish soil.
>
>I think that your cathegorisation of Prawo i Sprawiedliwo?? as "catholic right"
>indeed is the "happy coincidence" that makes people ignore the similarity of
>their rule with the endless sequence of "fsck-Poland-over" regimes the country
>has seen over its chaotic existence.

Which regimes were those? Seems to me the ones which most accomplished
that feat took their orders either from Berlin (1939-45) or Moscow
(1945-89)

Wojciech Derechowski

Feb 18, 2018, 1:06:54 AM2/18/18
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 02:40:27 +0000, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 21:35:50 -0000 (UTC), Mans Nilsson
><mans...@besserwisser.org> wrote:
>>I think that your cathegorisation of Prawo i Sprawiedliwość as "catholic
>>right" indeed is the "happy coincidence" that makes people ignore the
>>similarity of their rule with the endless sequence of "fsck-Poland-over"
>>regimes the country has seen over its chaotic existence.
>
> Which regimes were those? Seems to me the ones which most accomplished
> that feat took their orders either from Berlin (1939-45) or Moscow
> (1945-89)

AFAIK there was no such regime in Poland during 1939-45 period and next came
Yalta betrayal of 1945. What is happening now bears some resemblence to the
fascist dictatorship following May Coup d'État of 1926 and that's just the
rule of the catholic right like in Italy from 1922 or in Spain from 1939.

The Horny Goat

Feb 18, 2018, 11:41:53 AM2/18/18
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 06:06:40 -0000, Wojciech Derechowski
<wdd...@um5000.mystora.com> wrote:

>>>I think that your cathegorisation of Prawo i Sprawiedliwo?? as "catholic
>>>right" indeed is the "happy coincidence" that makes people ignore the
>>>similarity of their rule with the endless sequence of "fsck-Poland-over"
>>>regimes the country has seen over its chaotic existence.
>>
>> Which regimes were those? Seems to me the ones which most accomplished
>> that feat took their orders either from Berlin (1939-45) or Moscow
>> (1945-89)
>
>AFAIK there was no such regime in Poland during 1939-45 period and next came
>Yalta betrayal of 1945. What is happening now bears some resemblence to the
>fascist dictatorship following May Coup d'État of 1926 and that's just the
>rule of the catholic right like in Italy from 1922 or in Spain from 1939.

I was being somewhat nasty since obviously during the periods
mentioned the key decisions were not being made by Poles.

In Italy and Spain Musso and Franco were quite happy to have a
Catholic church supportive of their regimes which was definitely not
the case in Poland during the 80s. (Or particularly right now)