No keyboards were harmed..

Oscar

Oct 25, 2016, 5:54:05 AM10/25/16
On a well known local geek forum[1], one of the members describes a nice
barnfind. When he was at some random guy's home to retrieve some video
card he bought second hand. Turns out this guy was some kind of hoarder
with a house full of old cr*p. Barely enough room was left over to live.

Anyway, in one of these piles he discovers a stack of keyboards. A quick
look revealed a nice IBM Logo. His hart jumped a beat as he discovered a
battered but otherwise functional Model M.

Why am I telling this in this cellar, once crowded with monks? Because
the following line in this post really triggered my imagination:

"Het toetsenbord was echt SUPER goor en zat onder het opgedroogde bloed"

For the Dutch impaired:

"The keyboard was really SUPER dirty and was covered with dried blood"

My guess: this hoarder once was a Scary Devil himself...

[1] uggcf://tngurevat.gjrnxref.arg/sbehz/yvfg_zrffntr/48849101#48849101
--
[J|O|R] <- .signature.gz

Julian Macassey

Oct 25, 2016, 5:59:50 PM10/25/16
On 25 Oct 2016 09:54:02 GMT, Oscar <jornw...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Anyway, in one of these piles he discovers a stack of keyboards. A quick
> look revealed a nice IBM Logo. His hart jumped a beat as he discovered a
> battered but otherwise functional Model M.

Should anyone want a Model M, I have a few in my crap
pile.

I live in Oregon, USA

--
“It used to be you couldn’t be gay. Now you can be gay but you can’t smoke.
There’s always something.” - David Hockney, Guardian 16 July 2015

The Horny Goat

Oct 25, 2016, 11:13:34 PM10/25/16
On 25 Oct 2016 09:54:02 GMT, jornw...@xs4all.nl (Oscar) wrote:

>Why am I telling this in this cellar, once crowded with monks? Because
>the following line in this post really triggered my imagination:
>
>"Het toetsenbord was echt SUPER goor en zat onder het opgedroogde bloed"
>
>For the Dutch impaired:
>
>"The keyboard was really SUPER dirty and was covered with dried blood"
>
>My guess: this hoarder once was a Scary Devil himself...
>

>[1] uggcf://tngurevat.gjrnxref.arg/sbehz/yvfg_zrffntr/48849101#48849101
>--
>[J|O|R] <- .signature.gz

When I read that I immediately asked myself what kind of LART did
that???

Maarten Wiltink

Oct 26, 2016, 4:35:33 AM10/26/16
"The Horny Goat" <lcr...@home.ca> wrote in message
> On 25 Oct 2016 09:54:02 GMT, jornw...@xs4all.nl (Oscar) wrote:

>> "The keyboard was really SUPER dirty and was covered with dried blood"
[...]
> When I read that I immediately asked myself what kind of LART did
> that???

If all you have is a Model M,... you have all the LART you need.

Tebrgwrf,
Maarten Wiltink

Julian Macassey

Oct 26, 2016, 9:19:31 AM10/26/16
On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 10:35:29 +0200, Maarten Wiltink
<maa...@kittensandcats.net> wrote:

> If all you have is a Model M,... you have all the LART you need.

The advantage of the Model M is that after use as a LART
you can sit down and write the appropriate obituary with it. You
can't say that about other keyboards.

--
"Our men and women in uniform are fighting terrorists in Iraq so we do not
have to face them here at home." G. W. Bush State of the Union 2005

Mike Tomlinson

Oct 26, 2016, 9:38:25 AM10/26/16
En el artículo <slrno0vlel...@adeed.tele.com>, Julian Macassey
<jul...@tele.com> escribió:

> Should anyone want a Model M, I have a few in my crap
>pile.

Yes please.

> I live in Oregon, USA

Damn.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10

Steve VanDevender

Oct 26, 2016, 7:01:34 PM10/26/16
Julian Macassey <jul...@tele.com> writes:

> On 25 Oct 2016 09:54:02 GMT, Oscar <jornw...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, in one of these piles he discovers a stack of keyboards. A quick
>> look revealed a nice IBM Logo. His hart jumped a beat as he discovered a
>> battered but otherwise functional Model M.
>
> Should anyone want a Model M, I have a few in my crap
> pile.
>
> I live in Oregon, USA

You know, if you have one old enough to use the larger 5-pin circular
connector (the kind used on the original IBM PC, PC/XT, or PC/AT, as
opposed to the PS/2 connector or USB), I have a geriatric computer I
wouldn't mind attaching it to.

And you are even kind of local to me.

Julian Macassey

Oct 26, 2016, 9:51:58 PM10/26/16
I do believe I have one with an regular DIN connector.

My e-mail above is real. I can ship, or drop off when in
the Portland area.

--
"Every Hollywood film is a remake of a previous film… or a TV series everyone
hated in the 1960s." - Alan Moore, Guardian, Dec 12, 2012

Mike Tomlinson

Oct 27, 2016, 1:49:03 AM10/27/16
En el artículo <nurckc$3u0$1...@infix.c.crafty-fulcrum-336.internal>, Steve
VanDevender <ste...@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu> escribió:

>You know, if you have one old enough to use the larger 5-pin circular
>connector (the kind used on the original IBM PC, PC/XT, or PC/AT, as
>opposed to the PS/2 connector or USB)

You do know the cables are detachable and can be exchanged for large
DIN/small DIN?

Steve VanDevender

Oct 29, 2016, 2:23:40 AM10/29/16
Mike Tomlinson <mi...@jasper.org.uk> writes:

> En el artículo <nurckc$3u0$1...@infix.c.crafty-fulcrum-336.internal>, Steve
> VanDevender <ste...@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu> escribió:
>
>>You know, if you have one old enough to use the larger 5-pin circular
>>connector (the kind used on the original IBM PC, PC/XT, or PC/AT, as
>>opposed to the PS/2 connector or USB)
>
> You do know the cables are detachable and can be exchanged for large
> DIN/small DIN?

I'll admit that I did not know that, but I will also add that I have
never had a real Model M in my possession for this computer, so I cannot
be sure I have an existing large DIN cable that could be swapped onto a
Model M. Currently I have an old, cheap but reasonable quality
third-party keyboard hooked up to it, but as some insulation on that
cable has cracked open, I would rather have a new cable even if the
current cable could be interchanged to the Model M.

--
Steve VanDevender "I ride the big iron" http://hexadecimal.uoregon.edu/
ste...@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu PGP keyprint 4AD7AF61F0B9DE87 522902969C0A7EE8

Mike Tomlinson

Nov 5, 2016, 6:03:40 AM11/5/16
En el artículo <slrno11bb2...@adeed.tele.com>, Julian Macassey
<jul...@tele.com> escribió:

> The advantage of the Model M is that after use as a LART
>you can

... hose the blood off and carry on using it.

Peter Corlett

Nov 11, 2016, 8:46:48 AM11/11/16
Mike Tomlinson <mi...@jasper.org.uk> wrote:
> Julian Macassey <jul...@tele.com> escribió:
>> The advantage of the Model M is that after use as a LART
>> you can
> ... hose the blood off and carry on using it.

Up to a point. There is a dead Model M in my "awaiting tuits" pile that was
killed by a trip through the dishwasher. In response to my question asking why
on earth one would put a delicate (ha!) piece of electronics through a machine
that can strip the paint off a lump of cast iron, the response was along the
lines of "that's how I've always cleaned it before".

I probably just need to brush away the mouldy food shorting out the power
lines, or something. The hardest bit will be finding a suitable driver that can
get into the damn thing.

Brian Kantor

Nov 11, 2016, 10:48:23 AM11/11/16
Back in my early days of Amateur Radio, I used to run old taxicab radios
through the dishwasher to get the accumulated years of taxicab grime off
of them. It worked fairly well as long as I didn't let it go through the
dry cycle, as the hot steam tended to melt the wax off the coil forms and
make them difficult to tune.
- Brian

Wojciech Derechowski

Nov 11, 2016, 8:58:20 PM11/11/16
On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 15:48:22 +0000, Brian Kantor wrote:
> Back in my early days of Amateur Radio, I used to run old taxicab radios
> through the dishwasher

Terminals installed in coal tipples near conveyor belts and chutes were
cleaned by dipping them whole in drums with methanol, so the plants used
to have thriple sets of terminals on the premises: working, "floating"
and drying. That's from the 1980s. I don't know what they do today.

--
WD

Who is Entscheidungs and what is his problem?

Julian Macassey

Nov 12, 2016, 1:18:05 AM11/12/16
On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 07:48:22 -0800 (PST),
Brian Kantor <br...@karoshi.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Back in my early days of Amateur Radio, I used to run old taxicab radios
> through the dishwasher to get the accumulated years of taxicab grime off
> of them. It worked fairly well as long as I didn't let it go through the
> dry cycle, as the hot steam tended to melt the wax off the coil forms and
> make them difficult to tune.

But you used to run VT100 keyboards through the
dishwasher. Tom Clark, K3IO when he raced cars used to use his
dishwasher to degrease Ford 105E engine blocks, the future Mrs.
Clark in those days was scandalised.

Your friend Skip told me that a pressure washer was the
best thing to get the dried puke off a Military police Motorola.

Back when there was a real coompany called AT&T that
owned a manufacturing arm called Western Electric, you could drop
one of their phones in a swimming pool, pull it out then call a
taxi to take your drunken friends home.

These days, you daren't drop your cell phone, let alone
dunk it. I fell in the Pacific Ocean with a Samsung cell phone.
That broke it..

--
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem,
first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by

Mike Tomlinson

Nov 12, 2016, 1:50:22 PM11/12/16
En el artículo <o04i47$flf$1...@vserver-5.cabal.org.uk>, Peter Corlett
<ab...@mooli.org.uk> escribió:

>Up to a point. There is a dead Model M in my "awaiting tuits" pile that was
>killed by a trip through the dishwasher.

Everyone knows you don't put the electronics through the machine, just
the mech.

Consider yourself self-LARTed.

I've got a Microsoft Digital Media keyboard, an old one, which is really
nice to tripe on (it's sculpted, rather than flat, like the model M.)
That's had a few trips through the dishmangler, but I take out the
electronics and the membrane first.

The last time it went in it come out looking very odd - the black
plastic had become a mottled grey. Still worked and the appearance
didn't bother me so I carried on using it. Over a period of several
weeks, the black finish gradually returned until it looked like nothing
had ever happened to it.

Mike Tomlinson

Nov 12, 2016, 1:52:26 PM11/12/16
En el artículo <slrno2dd0s...@adeed.tele.com>, Julian Macassey
<jul...@tele.com> escribió:

>I fell in the Pacific Ocean with a Samsung cell phone.
>That broke it..

Were you trying to put out the exploding battery?

Julian Macassey

Nov 12, 2016, 5:13:09 PM11/12/16
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 18:52:21 +0000, Mike Tomlinson <mi...@jasper.org.uk> wrote:
> En el artículo <slrno2dd0s...@adeed.tele.com>, Julian Macassey
><jul...@tele.com> escribió:
>
>>I fell in the Pacific Ocean with a Samsung cell phone.
>>That broke it..
>
> Were you trying to put out the exploding battery?

This was before the exploding battery release date. But
seeing as water and Lithium batteries don't play well together I
suppose I'm luck it didn't do more than kill the charging
circuit.

Stoneshop

Nov 12, 2016, 5:45:03 PM11/12/16
Satya wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 13:46:47 +0000 (UTC), Peter Corlett wrote:
> [post-dishwasher model M]
>> I probably just need to brush away the mouldy food shorting out the power
>> lines, or something. The hardest bit will be finding a suitable driver
>> that can get into the damn thing.
>
> Model Ms need drivers now?

NUTdrivers.

--
// Rik Steenwinkel
// Zevenaar, Netherlands

Mike Tomlinson

Nov 13, 2016, 3:55:55 AM11/13/16
En el artículo <slrno2f4vk...@adeed.tele.com>, Julian Macassey
<jul...@tele.com> escribió:

>But
>seeing as water and Lithium batteries don't play well together

It is actually standing advice for a lithium battery fire. The idea is
to cool the battery, rather than douse the flames.

Stoneshop

Nov 13, 2016, 7:00:03 AM11/13/16
Julian Macassey wrote:

> But
> seeing as water and Lithium batteries don't play well together

Water and metallic lithium react rather vigorously, yes. But rechargeable
Li-ion batteries do not contain metallic lithium; only primary cells do.

Julian Macassey

Nov 13, 2016, 11:22:41 AM11/13/16
On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 08:55:52 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
<mi...@jasper.org.uk> wrote:
> En el artículo <slrno2f4vk...@adeed.tele.com>, Julian
> Macassey
><jul...@tele.com> escribió:
>
>>But seeing as water and Lithium batteries don't play well
>>together
>
> It is actually standing advice for a lithium battery fire. The
> idea is to cool the battery, rather than douse the flames.

When I used to do some work for a lithium battery
manufacturer, the place was covered in special fire extinguishers
(Class D), which were painted yellow not red, they were for
smothering the fires. Buckets of dry sand could also be used. The
word was never use water.

Water and Lithium are not friends. The batteries
themselves were assembled in a "dry room", a clean room with all
the moisture sucked out of it.

--
The crowd that pays $12 for a cocktail will probably pay $13 for a bespoke,
artisanal, locally-sourced, fully buzzword-compliant sandwich. - Tim May

Julian Macassey

Nov 13, 2016, 11:26:10 AM11/13/16
On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 12:59:26 +0100, Stoneshop <rik....@steenwinkel.net> wrote:
> Julian Macassey wrote:
>
>> But
>> seeing as water and Lithium batteries don't play well together
>
> Water and metallic lithium react rather vigorously, yes. But rechargeable
> Li-ion batteries do not contain metallic lithium; only primary cells do.

It appears that Lithium primary cells are the ones that
do not like water. The secondary cells are more forgiving, thank
God.

--
You may not be able to change the world, but that doesn’t mean you have to
stand for any sort of nonsense in your personal life. - Sir Terry Pratchett

Joe Zeff

Nov 14, 2016, 1:47:15 AM11/14/16
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 23:43:14 +0100, Stoneshop wrote:

> Satya wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 13:46:47 +0000 (UTC), Peter Corlett wrote:
>> [post-dishwasher model M]
>>> I probably just need to brush away the mouldy food shorting out the
>>> power lines, or something. The hardest bit will be finding a suitable
>>> driver that can get into the damn thing.
>>
>> Model Ms need drivers now?
>
> NUTdrivers.

Well, I suppose that's better than using NUT crackers.

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfsinc.info

Ino

Nov 17, 2016, 7:23:48 AM11/17/16
On 2016-11-14, Joe Zeff <the.guy.with....@lasfsinc.info> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 23:43:14 +0100, Stoneshop wrote:
>
>> Satya wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 13:46:47 +0000 (UTC), Peter Corlett wrote:
>>> [post-dishwasher model M]
>>>
>>> Model Ms need drivers now?
>>
>> NUTdrivers.
>
> Well, I suppose that's better than using NUT crackers.

But not as good as NUT jobs.

--
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire
off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark

Ino

Nov 17, 2016, 7:27:29 AM11/17/16
On 2016-11-12, Julian Macassey <jul...@tele.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 18:52:21 +0000, Mike Tomlinson <mi...@jasper.org.uk> wrote:
>> En el artículo <slrno2dd0s...@adeed.tele.com>, Julian Macassey
>><jul...@tele.com> escribió:
>>
>>>I fell in the Pacific Ocean with a Samsung cell phone.
>>>That broke it..
>>
>> Were you trying to put out the exploding battery?
>
> This was before the exploding battery release date. But
> seeing as water and Lithium batteries don't play well together I
> suppose I'm luck it didn't do more than kill the charging
> circuit.

Yeah - like set fire to the ocean!

Though I do wonder what is it with Samsung and fire. Their washing machines
catch fire; their TVs catch fire; their phones catch fire. I guess if
they made a fire extingusher - that would catch fire too.

The only thing that wouldn't catch fire would probably be Samsung matches.

Ino

Mike Tomlinson

Nov 18, 2016, 3:03:45 AM11/18/16
En el artículo <o0k7mf$2uk$2...@dont-email.me>, Ino <chi...@wziejxwoa.jap>
escribió:

>Though I do wonder what is it with Samsung and fire. Their washing machines
>catch fire; their TVs catch fire; their phones catch fire. I guess if
>they made a fire extingusher - that would catch fire too.

* looks nervously at new Samsung fridge in kitchen *

Mike Tomlinson

Nov 18, 2016, 5:46:17 AM11/18/16
En el artículo <vas2gd-...@rubberchicken.nocrap>, Michel
<ab...@rubberchicken.nl> escribió:

>It is a noisy bugger though, and *very* sensitive to not being 100.0% level.

It works fine, but I can't get mine level. It's on a level floor but
still leans drunkenly toward the wall no matter how much I twiddle.
There doesn't seem to be enough adjustment in the feet. I'll have to
empty it out, get a mate to tilt it over (fridge-freezer) and see what's
happening. When I get a round tuit...

Peter Corlett

Nov 18, 2016, 7:57:21 AM11/18/16
Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
> On 2016-11-18, Chronos wrote:
>> Be thankful you have nothing "lovingly made" by Beko.
> "It's not important that the workers are skilled, it's important that they're
> doing their best."

See also small town local authorities. I live in a prime example.

>> The oven has two settings: Cold in the middle or cremated.
> "Both at once" is the real trick.

That's pretty standard for the traditional British barbecue. Not that the grey
sausages and mystery-meat burgers that people bring to them are fit for
anything other than incinerating.

Mercifully, you don't run that kind of barbecue.

Stoneshop

Nov 19, 2016, 5:00:04 AM11/19/16
Michel wrote:

> I recently dug up the instructions for swapping the door to the other
> side, thinking it'd be a fairly straightforward hour's work except for
> the bit of wire for the panel in the door. Nope. Instructions include
> put it flat on the floor so you can reach the bolts underneath. I
> don't have *room* to put it flat on the floor. Guess I'll live with
> the awkward door for now...

Five minutes, tops. But that was a freezer built by the same company that
does these cute little excavators and cranes and such, so they probably know
a thing or two about not wanting to fuss with turning stuff upside down to
get at some silly bolt on the bottom.

Although they simply could if they had to.

Maarten Wiltink

Nov 19, 2016, 7:09:08 AM11/19/16
"Peter Corlett" <ab...@mooli.org.uk> wrote in message
> Roger Bell_West <roger+a...@nospam.firedrake.org> wrote:
>> On 2016-11-18, Chronos wrote:

>>> Be thankful you have nothing "lovingly made" by Beko.
>>
>> "It's not important that the workers are skilled, it's important that
>> they're doing their best."
>
> See also small town local authorities. I live in a prime example.

But... I thought you lived in Amsterdam? Because you _wanted_ to?

Tebrgwrf,
Maarten Wiltink