British computers

John F. Eldredge

Dec 21, 2013, 5:07:14 PM12/21/13

--
John F. Eldredge -- jo...@jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.

Julian Macassey

Dec 21, 2013, 6:37:51 PM12/21/13
On 21 Dec 2013 22:07:14 GMT, John F. Eldredge <jo...@jfeldredge.com> wrote:
> Seen in rec.arts.sf.written, from J. Clarke <jclark...@cox.net>:
>
>> The major obstacle to computer development in Britain was figuring out
>> a design that dripped oil (I am told that they finally succeeded).

It is also important that they won't start on a cold
morning.

--
"She needs to stop doing drugs and get a grip. Then maybe we'll talk." -
Stevie Nicks about Lindsay Lohan, NY Times 2009

John F. Eldredge

Dec 21, 2013, 7:39:32 PM12/21/13
On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 23:37:51 +0000, Julian Macassey wrote:

> On 21 Dec 2013 22:07:14 GMT, John F. Eldredge <jo...@jfeldredge.com>
> wrote:
>> Seen in rec.arts.sf.written, from J. Clarke <jclark...@cox.net>:
>>
>>> The major obstacle to computer development in Britain was figuring out
>>> a design that dripped oil (I am told that they finally succeeded).
>
> It is also important that they won't start on a cold
> morning.

And that the power supplies be built by Lucas Electric, so that they will
go on and off at random.

Julian Macassey

Dec 21, 2013, 10:04:33 PM12/21/13
On 22 Dec 2013 00:39:32 GMT, John F. Eldredge <jo...@jfeldredge.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 23:37:51 +0000, Julian Macassey wrote:
>
>> On 21 Dec 2013 22:07:14 GMT, John F. Eldredge <jo...@jfeldredge.com>
>> wrote:

>> It is also important that they won't start on a cold
>> morning.
>
> And that the power supplies be built by Lucas Electric, so that they will
> go on and off at random.

Lucas being from the analogue world has three states:
Off, Dim and Flicker.

Wojciech Derechowski

Dec 22, 2013, 1:14:00 AM12/22/13
On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 03:04:33 +0000, Julian Macassey wrote:
[...]
> Lucas being from the analogue world has three states:
> Off, Dim and Flicker.

Is it possible that luser brains have Lucas ignition? ...Nah. No brains.

--
WD

Who is Entscheidungs and what is his problem?

Message has been deleted

David Scheidt

Dec 22, 2013, 11:25:26 AM12/22/13
Julian Macassey <jul...@tele.com> wrote:
:On 22 Dec 2013 00:39:32 GMT, John F. Eldredge <jo...@jfeldredge.com> wrote:
:>
:>> wrote:
:>>> Seen in rec.arts.sf.written, from J. Clarke <jclark...@cox.net>:
:>>>
:>>>> The major obstacle to computer development in Britain was figuring out
:>>>> a design that dripped oil (I am told that they finally succeeded).
:>>
:>> It is also important that they won't start on a cold
:>> morning.
:>
:> And that the power supplies be built by Lucas Electric, so that they will
:> go on and off at random.

: Lucas being from the analogue world has three states:
:Off, Dim and Flicker.

Lucas gets a bad rap. It's important to remember that Lucas didn't
design electrical systems, they supplied compoenents. Some of lucas's
designs were in the suboptimal range, but most of the components were of
good quality. It's the automobile companies who designed the system,
and did the stupid shit, like run the full current through the headlight
switch, instead of using the switch to control relays. Or who speced a
300 W generator, when the load of ignition, headlights, heater blower,
and wipers is 500 W. The parts to do it right were in the catalog, and
Lucas would have happily supplied them, and did when they were ordered.

--
sig 67

Julian Macassey

Dec 22, 2013, 11:31:43 AM12/22/13
On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 06:14:00 -0000, Wojciech Derechowski
<wdd...@um5000.mystora.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 03:04:33 +0000, Julian Macassey wrote:
> [...]
>> Lucas being from the analogue world has three states:
>> Off, Dim and Flicker.
>
> Is it possible that luser brains have Lucas ignition? ...Nah. No brains.

Most frightening sign outside a building I have ever
seen? "Lucas Aerospace".

--
“In our time, the symbol of state intrusion into the private life
is the mandatory urine test.” ― Christopher Hitchens

Jim

Dec 23, 2013, 3:18:05 AM12/23/13
On 2013-12-22, Julian Macassey <jul...@tele.com> wrote:

>>> It is also important that they won't start on a cold
>>> morning.
>>
>> And that the power supplies be built by Lucas Electric, so that they will
>> go on and off at random.
>
> Lucas being from the analogue world has three states:
> Off, Dim and Flicker.

I used to work for a company that did work for them, and I can state
that in addition to those three states they also had a fourth: bright,
but with the voltage going in the wrong direction. Typically down your
leg.

Jim
--
Michael Garibaldi: "What are you so nervous about? We went up against the
entire Earth Alliance, and two carrier groups."