Unrecovery of a sort

Cipher

Nov 26, 2014, 3:59:14 PM11/26/14
I've been at $SMALLCOLLEGE where I've been hammering their aged and
decade-long-neglected IT infrastructure. We've moved from three racks of
physical servers purchased from ronl to new servers, complete with an
actual cluster of IZJner iPragre with RZP storage.

Immediately after this was completed I keeled over, literally, and had
open heart surgery for a myxoma[1]. Despite failures I knew were coming
because I'd yet to finish configuring it all, it stayed up and running
while I convalesced over the winter.

During this $SMALLCOLLEGE got its first-ever CFO[2]. she has been
enacting changes which are my and large good, and therefore fought
tooth-and-nail by the old guard who don't see anything wrong with a
budget process made of even more smoke and mirrors than budget processes
usually have.

The place has quite literally no accountability, to the point where our
Dear LAN admin [3] almost killed two people by removing batteries from a
CO detector that was going off intermittently without telling anyone.

I have reached a blissful state where I don't care about the place. At
all. Openly. The decisions for all of the crap they want to implement[4]
takes place so far above my pay grade on the org chart it's silly to
even conjecture what they'll require next. I show up, do my "dark magic"
job[5], things stay up, I go home. I dress in jeans and trade show
t-shirts where everyone else is much more business-like. I blatantly
ignore people and don't interact with much of the staff or students if I
can help it.

For all these sins, I've been tasked to go to the remote sites for the
next year and bring them into compliance, by hook or by crook. I'll be
purchasing hardware and software with my boss's rubber-stamp, writing
policy, documenting their failings, and dragging them to the future, no
doubt with much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

And, according to my boss, the end game is I take his job where he moves
to a newly created CTO position.

The hells just happened? Have I finally found the key to upward mobility
is not giving a fuck?

Selah.

[1] Researching that is best lest as an exercise for the reader, and not
for the squeamish nor the hairless of chest. I'm quite fine now.

[2] How a place over a century old continues to run without a strong
finance person is beyond me.

[3] He can neither LAN nor admin. When asked if port 67 traffic was
blocked by an ACL on the Pvfpb fabric he replied "I have no idea what
that means".

[4] I was asked to develop software "to prevent people from downloading
and distributing video" and replied, "If I knew how to do that
effectively I'd have sold it to the MPAA and RIAA and be happily retired
to Aruba."

[5] I may have replaced most of my work with scripts.

--
The word "urgent" is the moral of the story "The boy who cried wolf". As
a general rule I don't believe it until a manager comes to me almost in

Paul

Nov 26, 2014, 5:58:56 PM11/26/14
Cipher <nota...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> The hells just happened? Have I finally found the key to upward
> mobility is not giving a fuck?

Shhhh... That was supposed to be a secret!

--
Paul the Legacy Server
Full Recovery reached May 30, 2008

The Horny Goat

Nov 26, 2014, 7:10:46 PM11/26/14
On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:59:11 -0500, Cipher <nota...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>For all these sins, I've been tasked to go to the remote sites for the
>next year and bring them into compliance, by hook or by crook. I'll be
>purchasing hardware and software with my boss's rubber-stamp, writing
>policy, documenting their failings, and dragging them to the future, no
>doubt with much wailing and gnashing of teeth.
>
>And, according to my boss, the end game is I take his job where he moves
>to a newly created CTO position.
>
>The hells just happened? Have I finally found the key to upward mobility
>is not giving a fuck?
>
>Selah.

Selah (in the biblical sense - for non-cognoscenti it means 'thanks to
God') indeed - first order of business is to check your pulse and make
sure you haven't died and gone to heaven (which given your recent
illness......)

It definitely seems like a situation from heaven as long as the remote
sites are a reasonable but not stupid distance away. As for
'purchasing hardware and software with my boss's rubber stamp" that
indeed sounds like heaven.

"Of COURSE the admin's machine requires a 32 core processor with
dedicated T3 online access.! And that's for his laptop - for his bench
machine he needs..."

Julian Macassey

Nov 26, 2014, 9:24:41 PM11/26/14
On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:59:11 -0500, Cipher <nota...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have reached a blissful state where I don't care about the place. At
> all.

Snippo

> And, according to my boss, the end game is I take his job where he moves
> to a newly created CTO position.
>
> The hells just happened? Have I finally found the key to upward mobility
> is not giving a fuck?

You may have found the formula for being "golden". I have
over the years watched people who do fuck all at work, ignore
e-mails, have unexplained absences and some how never get diciplined
and often promoted.

If you don't care and do nothing, how can you fail?

--
Cutting Libraries in a recession is like cutting hospitals in a
plague. - Eleanor Crumblehulme

Wojciech Derechowski

Nov 27, 2014, 1:10:54 AM11/27/14
On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 20:59:11 +0000, Cipher wrote:
[...]
> I have reached a blissful state where I don't care about the place. At
> all. Openly.

You certainly have, given what you write. For instance, how many operators
have recently had an open heart surgery for that tumor? I hope LAN admin of
the $SMALLCOLLEGE doesn't snoop on ASR, otherwise your boss's job, and yours,
are going to get significantly harder.

--
WD

Who is Entscheidungs and what is his problem?

Joe Zeff

Nov 27, 2014, 1:47:12 AM11/27/14
On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:59:11 -0500, Cipher wrote:

> I dress in jeans and trade show t-shirts where everyone else is much
> more business-like. I blatantly ignore people and don't interact with
> much of the staff or students if I can help it.

By any chance, is your first name "Simon?"

--
Joe Zeff -- The Guy With The Sideburns:
http://www.zeff.us http://www.lasfs.info

David DeLaney

Nov 27, 2014, 10:50:27 PM11/27/14
On 2014-11-26, Cipher <nota...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I've been at $SMALLCOLLEGE where I've been hammering their aged and
> decade-long-neglected IT infrastructure. [...]

> During this $SMALLCOLLEGE got its first-ever CFO[2]. she has been
> enacting changes which are my and large good, and therefore fought
> tooth-and-nail by the old guard who don't see anything wrong with a
> budget process made of even more smoke and mirrors than budget processes
> usually have.

> [1] Researching that is best lest as an exercise for the reader, and not
> for the squeamish nor the hairless of chest. I'm quite fine now.

A myxoma is a type of rabbit, right? No, don't give me details, I'm happy
with that picture.

> [5] I may have replaced most of my work with scripts.

This is clearly preparation for attempting to do so to the Dean.

Dave, you may be greeted by administration members throwing roses