TSS/8 ALGOL

pj

Mar 9, 2004, 6:25:42 PM3/9/04
I tried to load the paper tape image of TSS/8 ALGOL (found in
http://www.bitsavers.org/DEC/pdp8/papertapeImages/set3/) into the SIMH
PDP-8 emulator running TSS/8 using PUTR. I get an INPUT ERROR which
I've traced down to a checksum error. Anyone else try this? Is there
another copy of TSS/8 ALGOL available somewhere?

Many thanks in advance!

Al Kossow

Mar 10, 2004, 12:44:09 AM3/10/04
From article <2dd95306.04030...@posting.google.com>, by pj_...@yahoo.com (pj):

Which tape image file are you having problems with? I still have the
originals, and can reread them. I can also check if that tape had a human
readable leader, which may have to be skipped over.

Al Kossow

Mar 10, 2004, 1:31:23 PM3/10/04
From article <c2m9v9$ref$1...@spies.com>, by a...@spies.com (Al Kossow):

I reread the tapes this morning, images can be found at
http://www.bitsavers.org/DEC/pdp8/papertapeImages/set7_20040310/

The program writeup is in
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/decus/

Tim Radde

Mar 10, 2004, 2:24:18 PM3/10/04
pj_...@yahoo.com (pj) wrote in message news:<2dd95306.04030...@posting.google.com>...

I can't imagine why anyone would want to run Algol, especially under TSS/8.
I remember doing that long ago on a real system, but I did not really know
Algol then, and was just curious. Later on I got to use it, and all I can
say is it's not my favorite programming language. Maybe you're just out to
have some fun. Good luck with it.

pj

Mar 10, 2004, 4:18:29 PM3/10/04
a...@spies.com (Al Kossow) wrote in message news:<c2m9v9$ref$1...@spies.com>...

The image file is "decus8-330_tss8algol.bin". That would be great...
these tapes may be the only ones in existance. Thanks!

glen herrmannsfeldt

Mar 10, 2004, 4:41:47 PM3/10/04
Tim Radde wrote:

> I can't imagine why anyone would want to run Algol, especially under TSS/8.
> I remember doing that long ago on a real system, but I did not really know
> Algol then, and was just curious. Later on I got to use it, and all I can
> say is it's not my favorite programming language. Maybe you're just out to
> have some fun. Good luck with it.

I think Algol is a fine language, though not
so popular these days. I would rather use it on
a larger, faster, machine than a PDP-8, though.

-- glen

Jan van Mastbergen

Mar 10, 2004, 5:04:47 PM3/10/04
You wouldn't want to use Algol for anything practical these days but as the
late great Edsger Dijkstra once pointed out `It was indeed a great
achievement, in that it was a significant advance over most of its
successors'.

Jan van Mastbergen

"glen herrmannsfeldt" <g...@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in message

pj

Mar 10, 2004, 9:58:11 PM3/10/04
fun...@yahoo.com (Tim Radde) wrote in message news:<4d209d6e.04031...@posting.google.com>...

Yes, I'm in a nostalgic mood... I first explored computers on a TSS/8
system many years ago.

pj

Mar 10, 2004, 9:59:08 PM3/10/04
a...@spies.com (Al Kossow) wrote in message news:<c2nmtr$teh$1...@spies.com>...

Thanks Al... I'll try it out!!!

Tim Radde

Mar 11, 2004, 6:16:10 AM3/11/04
pj_...@yahoo.com (pj) wrote in message news:<2dd95306.04031...@posting.google.com>...

I did not mean to offend anyone in my comment. I am sure in it's day Algol
was very useful. I even tried it myself on TSS/8 a very long time ago. I
just never got used to it. I preferred assembly language in those days.
It is fun to look back on old system for a bit of nostalgia. Was that TSS/8
system an 8e or an 8i like the one I had access to? I'd like to actually run
TSS/8 on one of my systems just once to bring back those fond memories. Alas
I don't have the storage device to do it nor do I have the full images for a
real system.
Tim R

pj

Mar 11, 2004, 5:57:12 PM3/11/04

No offense taken at all. I tinkered with Algol way back then, but
also preferred assembly. The system was an 8E. If you'd like to
relive those memories, take a visit to http://simh.trailing-edge.com/
for the SIMH simulators. You'll find pre-built simulators and
software including TSS/8 and OS/8.

pj

Mar 11, 2004, 6:14:30 PM3/11/04
a...@spies.com (Al Kossow) wrote in message news:<c2nmtr$teh$1...@spies.com>...

That was it! Works now, thanks Al!!

For those interested, I used the following to load TSS/8 ALGOL into
the SIMH PDP-8 simulator running TSS/8:

1. Download Al's TSS/8 ALGOL from
http://www.bitsavers.org/DEC/pdp8/papertapeImages/set7_20040310/8-330_tss8AlgolComp.bin
to the folder containing SIMH

2. Attach the file to the "paper tape reader":

sim> attach -r PTR 8-330_tss8AlgolComp.bin

3. Log into the TSS/8 librarian account [0,2]

4. Read in ALGOL:

.R PUTR

*COPY ALGOL.SAV=PTR:/SAV
^
NONAME.

*EXIT
^BS
.

Note: press return at the PUTR '^' prompt.

5. Logout

Now you can create source files with EDIT. To run:

.R ALGOL

INPUT: source
OUTPUT: <press return>

Graham Reid

Mar 12, 2004, 12:59:35 PM3/12/04
I remember trying the 4k Algol system at school (4K PDP8E), and never being
able to get
it to work.
Fortunately, I found out that a local teacher traing college had a copy of
the Rogalgol system on their 8K PDP8e.
This helped my programming skills, as I had not yet heard of the concept of
pseudo-code, or the 'bootstrap' compiler approach. (Fresh from decompiling
Pal3, Focal and the FPP, this was another piece of software I digested!)
There was an Integer Algol compiler & runTime system, and the full-blown
system, but at the time I was only able to get copies of the Integer
system - quite time-consuming on a Teletype!
I still have the listings and the paper tape somewhere.
A few years ago, I found the complete and updated package on the web, and
was able to make a full copy, against the mythical occasion when I have
enough spare time to indulge in nostalgia!

As regards it's use, Algol of course was a way of publishing algorithms - I
think the only other candidate at the time was Fortran.

Regards, Graham

"pj" <pj_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]

huw.d...@kerberos.davies.net.au

Mar 15, 2004, 6:55:36 AM3/15/04
Tim Radde <fun...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I did not mean to offend anyone in my comment. I am sure in it's day Algol
> was very useful.

Basically all the significant programming assignments I did in third
year Computer Science were written in Algol-60 for the DECsystem-10. This
was in 1975 (eek, this is nearly 30 years ago). We also did some
assignments in SNOBOL, MACRO-10 and COBOL but Algol-10 was my favorite.
If you overcame the issue that there was no standard I/O primatives
defined in the Algol-60 standard and avoided some of the more
obscure "features" Algol-60 would still make a reasonable 3GL
even today - it's certainly better than most of the other languages
that are about 45 years old.

Of course, when I could choose the language, I much preferred BCPL,
Algol-68 and BLISS-10 (not necessarily in that order :-)
--
Huw Davies | e-mail: Huw.D...@kerberos.davies.net.au
Melbourne | "If soccer was meant to be played in the

Bob Adamson

Mar 20, 2004, 12:38:38 PM3/20/04
I've also collected up all of the RogAlgol stuff (integer and full) and
assembled it in an os-8 system. As a backburner job I'm trying to get it
running but no documentation and sparse source comments don't make it
easy. The compiler itself was written by Roger Abbott (now deceased) but I
managed to track down his website at
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/rhaminisys/algol60.html and also someone who
used to work with him so I'm hopeful. I'd welcome any documentation you
may have on it.
Bob Adamson
bobDOTadamsonATsli-instituteDOTacDOTuk

I used this Algol variant in circa 1972 on an 8E for