Panda and AMD64

Jean-Marc Bourguet

Dec 26, 2009, 4:54:11 AM12/26/09

Hi all,

I've recently installed an "AMD64" linux distribution (Ubuntu 9.10 if that
matter) and tried to run Panda on it. I've tried:
- a self compiled one (with a patch published sometimes ago here to be
able to use tap/tun devices for BSD, modified by me for Linux)
- a clean unpacking of the version Mark pushed on my computer some years
ago the version
- a clean unpacking of the trailingedge version
and they all behave in a flacky way, ending more or less quickly with
output like this

[DTE: Bad to-10 BP 442200,,733000][dte_10xfrbeg: 10cnt left:
4086][dte_10xfrbeg: out of data, no I bit][DTE: Bad to-10 BP
0,,0][dte_10xfrbeg: 10cnt left: 4086][dte_10xfrbeg: out of data, no I
bit][DTE: Bad to-10 BP 0,,0][dte_10xfrbeg: 10cnt left: 3329][dte_10xfrbeg:
out of data, no I bit][DTE: Bad to-10 BP 0,,0][dte_10xfrbeg: 10cnt left:
4086][dte_10xfrbeg: out of data, no I bit][DTE: Bad to-10 BP
0,,0][dte_10xfrbeg: 10cnt left: 3329][dte_10xfrbeg: out of data, no I
bit][DTE: Bad to-10 BP 0,,0][dte_10xfrbeg: 10cnt left: 4086][dte_10xfrbeg:
out of data, no I bit][DTE: Bad to-10 BP 0,,0][dte_10xfrbeg: 10cnt left:
3329][dte_10xfrbeg: out of data, no I bit][DTE: Bad to-10 BP
0,,0][dte_10xfrbeg: 10cnt left: 4086][dte_10xfrbeg: out of data, no I
bit][DTE: Bad to-10 BP 0,,0][dte_10xfrbeg: 10cnt left: 3329][dte_10xfrbeg:
out of data, no I bit][DTE: Bad to-10 BP 0,,0][dte_10xfrbeg: 10cnt left:
4086][dte_10xfrbeg: out of data, no I bit]

On my previous linux installation, a 32 bits one, the same image behaves
sanely (I share the disk on which they are).

Is the problem know? Does someone have a clew at what should I look to fix
the issue (but I fear my knowledge of PDP-10 isn't good enough for this).

Yours,

--
Jean-Marc

Mark Crispin

Dec 26, 2009, 12:39:59 PM12/26/09
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009, Jean-Marc Bourguet posted:

> [DTE: Bad to-10 BP 442200,,733000][dte_10xfrbeg: 10cnt left: 4086][dte_10xfrbeg: out of data, no I bit]

This is a known problem on some Linux systems with high performance
hardware. As far as I know, Ken has not found a fix for it.

The workaround is to rebuild klh10 with a special configuration that
avoids the esoteric real-time-interrupt mechanisms.

In klh20-2.0h/src/Makefile, lines 357 and 358, you will find:
-DKLH10_ITIME_INTRP=1 \
-DKLH10_CTYIO_INT=1 \

Change both of these lines so they now read:
-DKLH10_ITIME_SYNC=1 \
-DKLH10_CTYIO_INT=0 \

You should only do this on a system which has this problem. It will run
on other systems, but will eat up CPU unnecessarily.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc

glen herrmannsfeldt

Dec 26, 2009, 1:15:11 PM12/26/09
Mark Crispin <m...@panda.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009, Jean-Marc Bourguet posted:
>> [DTE: Bad to-10 BP 442200,,733000][dte_10xfrbeg: 10cnt left: 4086][dte_10xfrbeg: out of data, no I bit]

> This is a known problem on some Linux systems with high performance
> hardware. As far as I know, Ken has not found a fix for it.

The Hercules emulation of S/360 has problems on fast hardware, too.

One comes from the system clock, which can have zero counts over
a time where the OS figures it has at least one.

Another, I believe, comes from I/O, where the I/O operation
finishes (and the interrupt occurs) faster than expected.

-- glen

Jean-Marc Bourguet

Dec 26, 2009, 5:06:54 PM12/26/09
Mark Crispin <m...@panda.com> writes:

> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009, Jean-Marc Bourguet posted:
>> [DTE: Bad to-10 BP 442200,,733000][dte_10xfrbeg: 10cnt left: 4086][dte_10xfrbeg: out of data, no I bit]
>
> This is a known problem on some Linux systems with high performance
> hardware. As far as I know, Ken has not found a fix for it.

Ho..., that reduce my changes of success when (and if) I try to find the
root cause but I've still some other things on my plate before I can give
times to that.

Something which could be relevant is that it works on the same hardware
with a 32 bits Linux installation. When I've time, I'll check with the
same distribution, changing only the bitness.

> The workaround is to rebuild klh10 with a special configuration that avoids
> the esoteric real-time-interrupt mechanisms.
>
> In klh20-2.0h/src/Makefile, lines 357 and 358, you will find:
> -DKLH10_ITIME_INTRP=1 \
> -DKLH10_CTYIO_INT=1 \
>
> Change both of these lines so they now read:
> -DKLH10_ITIME_SYNC=1 \
> -DKLH10_CTYIO_INT=0 \
>
> You should only do this on a system which has this problem. It will run on
> other systems, but will eat up CPU unnecessarily.

Thanks, I'll try that and report if it works.

Yours,

--
Jean-Marc

Morten Reistad

Dec 26, 2009, 4:54:45 PM12/26/09
In article <alpine.OSX.2.00.0...@hsinghsing.panda.com>,

Mark Crispin <m...@panda.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 26 Dec 2009, Jean-Marc Bourguet posted:
>> [DTE: Bad to-10 BP 442200,,733000][dte_10xfrbeg: 10cnt left: 4086][dte_10xfrbeg: out of data, no I bit]
>
>This is a known problem on some Linux systems with high performance
>hardware. As far as I know, Ken has not found a fix for it.

There is no fix. Systems that behave like this are broken as designed.

>The workaround is to rebuild klh10 with a special configuration that
>avoids the esoteric real-time-interrupt mechanisms.
>
>In klh20-2.0h/src/Makefile, lines 357 and 358, you will find:
> -DKLH10_ITIME_INTRP=1 \
> -DKLH10_CTYIO_INT=1 \
>
>Change both of these lines so they now read:
> -DKLH10_ITIME_SYNC=1 \
> -DKLH10_CTYIO_INT=0 \

or upgrade to a 32-bit OS. With PAE you can use all of the memory,
just no more than 3.875 gigabytes per process. I can assure you that
KLH works just fine within that memory limitation.

>You should only do this on a system which has this problem. It will run
>on other systems, but will eat up CPU unnecessarily.

Amen.

-- mrr

Mark Crispin

Dec 26, 2009, 9:44:49 PM12/26/09
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009, Morten Reistad posted:

> or upgrade to a 32-bit OS. With PAE you can use all of the memory,
> just no more than 3.875 gigabytes per process. I can assure you that
> KLH works just fine within that memory limitation.

It is not a 64-bit specific problem.

The problem also occurs on some 32-bit systems. I know because I have had
to do this workaround on some of my machines.

Robert Komar

Dec 28, 2009, 3:50:24 AM12/28/09

Virtualbox has problems when the linux kernel has been built with
tickless timer support (CONFIG_NO_HZ enabled). Could it be that
klh10 has similar problems? For virtualbox, rebuilding the kernel
or booting with the 'nohz=off' parameter fixes the problem. The
latter is easy to try to see if it would help with klh10.

Cheers,
Rob Komar

Jean-Marc Bourguet

Dec 28, 2009, 6:52:40 AM12/28/09
Robert Komar <ro...@robpc4.home.org> writes:

> Virtualbox has problems when the linux kernel has been built with
> tickless timer support (CONFIG_NO_HZ enabled). Could it be that
> klh10 has similar problems? For virtualbox, rebuilding the kernel
> or booting with the 'nohz=off' parameter fixes the problem. The
> latter is easy to try to see if it would help with klh10.

I had an hope as CONFIG_NO_HZ is on on the problematic system and not on
the one working, but booting with nohz=off doesn't make klh10 works.

--
Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc Bourguet

Jan 1, 2010, 11:22:57 AM1/1/10
Mark Crispin <m...@panda.com> writes:

> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009, Jean-Marc Bourguet posted:
>> [DTE: Bad to-10 BP 442200,,733000][dte_10xfrbeg: 10cnt left: 4086][dte_10xfrbeg: out of data, no I bit]
>
> This is a known problem on some Linux systems with high performance
> hardware. As far as I know, Ken has not found a fix for it.
>
> The workaround is to rebuild klh10 with a special configuration that avoids
> the esoteric real-time-interrupt mechanisms.
>
> In klh20-2.0h/src/Makefile, lines 357 and 358, you will find:
> -DKLH10_ITIME_INTRP=1 \
> -DKLH10_CTYIO_INT=1 \
>
> Change both of these lines so they now read:
> -DKLH10_ITIME_SYNC=1 \
> -DKLH10_CTYIO_INT=0 \
>
> You should only do this on a system which has this problem. It will run on
> other systems, but will eat up CPU unnecessarily.

I've now had time to test this, it works on my system.

Thanks,

--
Jean-Marc