Boston BA635 Speakers

Ron Mitchell

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
My new Gateway 450 arrived last week and the Boston BA635 speakers that came
with it have a little V-shaped plastic base that's used as a speaker stand.
The base fits (slide/snap) into slots at the bottom of each speaker.
However, one fits and the other doesn't. The slot on one speaker is too
small for the base. Gateway Support (in Florida) said it's a known problem
and that I can possibly drill holes into the speaker to accommodate the
plastic stand. That advice is absurd! I thought these speakers were out for
quite some time now. Did they change suppliers or something? Any one else
have that problem or know of a fix.

N.

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
I thought the same thing at first, but look again (move the wires to the
back). The V-slot is there, and the stand fits.

Vortec

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
Good, point I was going to say the same thing, I thought that it didn't fit
either, but if you move the wires, it does fit.

N. <n...@noyb.net> wrote in message

Harold Haerle

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
Mine is due to arrive shortly. The ship estimate was 3/15 but it was
shipped on the ninth. This is the straw that broke the camel's back.
I am not going to pay premium prices for a company that would make
such a statement on a high end computer. Even Packard Bell would
not do that.

Thanks

Harold

Bruce A. Frazier

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
Ron,
I got my 450 the other day and the stands work fine, just move the wires.

WOONYBOY

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
>I am not going to pay premium prices for a company that would make
>such a statement on a high end computer.

Premium prices??? Compare what you get for the money...you aren't paying
premium anything.....

Ann Meffert

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
This is quite humorous. I can't help but ask why tech support would
suggest drilling holes, and possibly ruining the speaker, when moving
the wires will do. This is a known problem? I don't think so--at least
that particular tech didn't know enough to make a simple adjustment. Oh
well, life is full of little glitches.

Mike Cuddington

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
I agree with Ann. My stands fit fine but what is up with Gateways tech
support.

Cudd

CD Rome

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
In article <36E66490...@banet.net>, hha...@banet.net says...

> Mine is due to arrive shortly. The ship estimate was 3/15 but it was
> shipped on the ninth. This is the straw that broke the camel's back.
> I am not going to pay premium prices for a company that would make
> such a statement on a high end computer. Even Packard Bell would
> not do that.
>
> Thanks
>
> Harold

Let's see, your computer is shipping earlier than expected, and some
person makes a comment about the speakers that no one has ever made here before,
and you're ready to refuse shipment? Am I missing something here?
If you look at the speakers, they look like they don't fit. If you try to
put the stand in, it fits.
Packard Bell wouldn't make this statement since most of their
crappy speakers are built into the monitor and they don't have a stand.

Dale Harrington

Mar 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/11/99
Nice try Ron. Does anyone suspect some of the "weird" problems with GW tech
support that are always negative and almost never mirror any one elses
problesm, misght be "plants" from devotees or even employees of other
computer suppliers. I realize GW tech support is swamped most of the time,
but my experiences have always been positive. Just a thought.

Robert Kreil

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
Gee fellows, I received a G6-450 in Dec 98 with the same speakers, They look
small but they do give off some real nice sound with the Booster. Much
better then the crappy ones I got with a multi Media CD ROM a few years ago.
As for the plastic base, Mine slid right in with out any problem, the one
speaker that has 3 wires going to it may be a challenge to some, you have to
push them aside to get the base slid in(the little one with the volume
control) but I can't say for what you received and drilling holes? If true I
would ask for new speakers. Tech support has been nothing but the best with
me and never did I have to do the "reformat/reload everything message" that
I hear a lot of people talk about. Oh yea, the ship date, I ordered mine
on Dec 5th at 4PM Fri after noon, it was suppose to ship the 10th, I had
missed the Ups truck on the 8th & received it on the 9th. I was up and
running in no time. I call that a Plus not a Neg... It's a lot better then
my 1st computer(that took days to get right), I had to load dos 4.0, Irq
setting and all the other neat things that you had to trial and error in the
early 1990's. And Packard Bell! I thought they didn't allow cursing on this
channel???
You have a good product, treat the tech support with some respect and
you'll do ok. Bob in Pa. ........

Mike H.

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
I assume that you're talking about the speaker with the wiring. Try
spreading the cables out a little wider...the stand slips in just fine.

- Mike H.

Harold Haerle <hha...@banet.net> wrote in message

>Mine is due to arrive shortly. The ship estimate was 3/15 but it was
>shipped on the ninth. This is the straw that broke the camel's back.
>I am not going to pay premium prices for a company that would make
>such a statement on a high end computer. Even Packard Bell would
>not do that.
>
>Thanks
>
>Harold

Mike H.

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
Sorry 'bout previous post. My reader didn't expand the thread for me and I
didn't see the numerous replies.

SAW

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99
In article <36e8a...@news3.enter.net>,

"Robert Kreil" <rkr...@enter.net> wrote:
> Gee fellows, I received a G6-450 in Dec 98 with the same speakers, They look
> small but they do give off some real nice sound with the Booster. Much
> better then the crappy ones I got with a multi Media CD ROM a few years ago.
> As for the plastic base, Mine slid right in with out any problem, the one
> speaker that has 3 wires going to it may be a challenge to some, you have to
> push them aside to get the base slid in(the little one with the volume
> control) but I can't say for what you received and drilling holes? If true I
> would ask for new speakers. Tech support has been nothing but the best with
> me and never did I have to do the "reformat/reload everything message" that
> I hear a lot of people talk about. Oh yea, the ship date, I ordered mine
> on Dec 5th at 4PM Fri after noon, it was suppose to ship the 10th, I had
> missed the Ups truck on the 8th & received it on the 9th. I was up and
> running in no time. I call that a Plus not a Neg... It's a lot better then
> my 1st computer(that took days to get right), I had to load dos 4.0, Irq
> setting and all the other neat things that you had to trial and error in the
> early 1990's. And Packard Bell! I thought they didn't allow cursing on this
> channel???
> You have a good product, treat the tech support with some respect and
> you'll do ok. Bob in Pa. ........
> CD Rome wrote in message ...
> >In article <36E66490...@banet.net>, hha...@banet.net says...
> >> Mine is due to arrive shortly. The ship estimate was 3/15 but it was
> >> shipped on the ninth. This is the straw that broke the camel's back.
> >> I am not going to pay premium prices for a company that would make
> >> such a statement on a high end computer. Even Packard Bell would
> >> not do that.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Harold
> >>

> > Let's see, your computer is shipping earlier than expected, and some
> >person makes a comment about the speakers that no one has ever made here
> before,
> >and you're ready to refuse shipment? Am I missing something here?
> > If you look at the speakers, they look like they don't fit. If you try to
> >put the stand in, it fits.
> > Packard Bell wouldn't make this statement since most of their
> >crappy speakers are built into the monitor and they don't have a stand.

My Gateway was to be shipped on the 9th, but it got put off until the 16th.
I can't believe anyone could be upset when they are getting there order
completed in a timely fashion. Me, I am going to cancel my order if it gets
extended again. But that is only because I will stay with my old computer
and upgrade my home theater instead (there is a power amp that I just gotta
have, and the company actually has one on hand). "Far better it is to dare
mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure,
than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much, nor suffer
much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor
defeat."