mpc/gateway support

xodusss

Apr 7, 2009, 3:18:00 PM4/7/09
Unfortunately, the MPC support site is now out of operation leaving
thousands of owners with no place to go for drivers, manuals, etc.
There is one place that has mirrored the entire mpc support site on
their own server but they do not have a website up and running at this
time. Considering the site was around 95 Giganytes in size, it could
take a while yet.
They are offering limited support by email at mpcsu...@cox.net and
are in the process of putting up a new forum strictly for owners of
the MPC/Gateway systems.

Ben Myers

Apr 7, 2009, 5:26:54 PM4/7/09

MPC's support, or lack thereof, applies to computers bought through
Gateway's business computer sales unit, which was sold to MPC several
years ago. Before MPC declined terribly, they were very good in
providing me with a power supply to replace one in a Gateway bought by a
town government with a 4-year warranty. Now, I suppose you can tear up
the warranties... Ben Myers

William R. Walsh

Apr 8, 2009, 12:29:26 AM4/8/09
It seems that Gateway has also shut down (or at least made nonpublic) their
FTP server. For whatever it might be worth, I mirrored it in late 2007,
around the time of the Acer buyout.

http://greyghost.mooo.com/gw2kftp/

It stood around 15.1 GB the last I knew, and if I'm remembering correctly.

Don't go crazy on this server--take it easy, as its connection is bandwidth
limited! It's not going anywhere anytime soon and is provided only as a
public service.

William

xodusss

Sep 16, 2009, 7:23:42 PM9/16/09

The new support site for MPC and Gateway Pro computers is back online.
The site has free downloads for all drivers, chipsets, manuals, and
peripheral information. Over 200,000 gigabytes of free downloads are
available as well as free email support and a technical support forum.
The address is http://www.mpcdrivers.com. The support email address is
mpcsu...@cox.net

Frank

Sep 18, 2009, 8:56:14 AM9/18/09
Appears useless to me. I plug in either model number or serial number
and neither is recognized. Had this same problem in the turbulent past
where they do not recognize my 2-3 year old computer but do recognize my
wife's antique.

Guess there is no more GW in my future purchases.

Ben Myers

Sep 18, 2009, 9:24:14 AM9/18/09

Gateway is no more as a freestanding company, anyway. Acer bought
Gateway, so it becomes ever more likely that similar new models of Acer,
Gateway and eMachines will differ only in the cosmetic plastic on the
outside.

Prior to being bought up by Acer, Gateway sold off its
professional-oriented (mostly government agencies) business to what
became of the old Micron computers. (MPC is a Micron spinoff.) This
created confusion because you might get service from the Gateway web
site for one computer and from MPC for another of the same model.

All of the above is a recipe for making a mess and pissing off
customers, something Gateway and MPC are pretty good at... Ben Myers

Frank

Sep 18, 2009, 12:25:51 PM9/18/09

Yes, I was aware of most of the history. I had been a GW customer for
about 17 years but next machines will probably be Dells.

Justin Thompson

Sep 18, 2009, 2:10:10 PM9/18/09

If talking desktop - I would go local, laptop I would go big brand
more.

I went local for my desktop this time - got the spec I wanted at same
price as big brand but without their crap hidden recovery partitions,
bloated crapware preloaded etc. I was unlucky in that the motherboard
died after 3 months. I dropped it off at 12:30 and at 14:45 I got a
call to say they had diagnosed...confirmed mothrboard was prob and had
replaced.. I picked up same day.

Cheers

alvarso

Oct 5, 2009, 1:55:26 PM10/5/09
On Sep 18, 2:10 pm, Justin Thompson

<Justin.Thomp...@removethisntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:25:51 -0400, Frank
>

> <frankperiodlogu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >Ben Myers wrote:

FYI in case its useful to anyone: after having to contact the Better
Business Bureau about my problem, I finally got a phone number for
Gateway with a "real person" who answers (not sure they can help, but
at least a machine will not hang up on you): 800-395-3817