CPU upgrade on GX620?

golfer55nj

Dec 1, 2011, 1:23:30 PM12/1/11
Hi currently have Pentium 4 3.0 single core looking to upgrade to a dual
core 3.2GHz Pentium D 840 is this possible? if not what dual core thanks

GX620 mother board # of8098
service tag B3XF291

Ben Myers

Dec 1, 2011, 2:45:00 PM12/1/11
I understand your concern. Neither the Users Guides nor the Quick
Reference documents on the Dell web site contain the usual
"specifications", which tell all about the possible hardware. And
this URL does not say enough either:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx620/en/ug/A02/sffspecs.htm

The GX620 uses an Intel 945 chipset, so it has to be capable of
handling a dual-core something.

My suggestion is to check the Intel web site to see which CPUs are
supported by the 945 chipset family... Ben Myers

Steve W.

Dec 1, 2011, 3:47:29 PM12/1/11
Back when I got mine I dug around the web. The general answer was that
the highest processor that it would handle was a
Pentium D 950

--
Steve W.

Tony Harding

Dec 1, 2011, 8:59:06 PM12/1/11
On 12/01/11 13:23, golfer55nj wrote:
> Hi currently have Pentium 4 3.0 single core looking to upgrade to a dual
> core 3.2GHz Pentium D 840 is this possible? if not what dual core thanks
>
> GX620 mother board # of8098

FWIW, I would not post a real Service Tag in a public forum.

Good luck,
Tony

Christopher Muto

Dec 2, 2011, 2:00:28 AM12/2/11
the fastest processor supported by the optiplex gx620 (with the latest
bios installed) is the pentium d 960 (3.60ghz/4m/800). it comes n twp
versions, SL9K7 which is 95W and SL9AP which is 130W. it requires a
better heat sink than came with most processors and it is advisable to
get the dell made heatsink to avoid fitment issues. here is a really
nice write up on the upgrade.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/18593269/19549083.aspx

Christopher Muto

Dec 2, 2011, 2:15:23 AM12/2/11
but to more directly answer your question... the pentium d 840 should
work. your current pentium 4 3.0 has a passmark of 842 and the pentium
d 840 has a passmark of 933 so it is not much of an overall performance
boot (10% of cpu speed increase translates to far less in overall
performance). the pentium d 960 has a passmark of 1003 which is almost
a 20% increase. but at $50 for a used pentium d 860 plus the cost of a
new heatsink i am not sure that it is worth it.

Ben Myers

Dec 3, 2011, 12:54:25 AM12/3/11
On Dec 2, 2:15 am, Christopher Muto <m...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> On 12/2/2011 2:00 AM, Christopher Muto wrote:
>

> > On 12/1/2011 1:23 PM, golfer55nj wrote:
> >> Hi currently have Pentium 4 3.0 single core looking to upgrade to a dual
> >> core 3.2GHz Pentium D 840 is this possible? if not what dual core thanks
>
> >> GX620 mother board # of8098
> >> service tag B3XF291
>
> > the fastest processor supported by the optiplex gx620 (with the latest
> > bios installed) is the pentium d 960 (3.60ghz/4m/800). it comes n twp
> > versions, SL9K7 which is 95W and SL9AP which is 130W. it requires a
> > better heat sink than came with most processors and it is advisable to
> > get the dell made heatsink to avoid fitment issues. here is a really
> > nice write up on the upgrade.
> >http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/18593269...
>
> but to more directly answer your question... the pentium d 840 should
> work.  your current pentium 4 3.0 has a passmark of 842 and the pentium
> d 840 has a passmark of 933 so it is not much of an overall performance
> boot (10% of cpu speed increase translates to far less in overall
> performance).  the pentium d 960 has a passmark of 1003 which is almost
> a 20% increase.  but at $50 for a used pentium d 860 plus the cost of a
> new heatsink i am not sure that it is worth it.

With CPU clock multiplier ratios between two CPUs being small these
days, a CPU upgrade rarely provides much bang for the buck or the
effort involved. There might be exceptional cases, such as going from
a slowish Celeron chip to a large cache dual core Penium. For
example, today I had hands on with a GX260 I sold the client a few
years ago. It had a 2.2GHz Celeron, for which a 3.06GHz Pentium 4
would have provided a noticeable improvement. However, it will be
taken out of service next week instead... Ben Myers