Strange error

MZB

Mar 12, 2009, 2:34:43 PM3/12/09
I use Turbo Tax. All of a sudden, it screwed up during an update with the
following:

ERROR INSTALLING C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\INTUIT\TURBOTAX

ApplicationController MSI Install Exception occurred Microsoft Installer
error 2720 with error code 2720

stack trace at Intuit.Spc.Esd.Core.
Specific.Installation.MsiHelper.InstallMSIPackage

(Boolean install, String msipath, String cmdLine, IntPtr ownerWindowHandle,
Boolean

ComputerRestartRequired, Boolean_userCanceled).

Error Code: 2720

When I clicked for help, TT says:

" The errors below include Microsoft Windows Installer and .NET issues.
These errors are not caused by TurboTax. Windows Installer and .NET are
integral parts of Windows operating systems today, and we rely on the
stability of operating system components. "

ANY IDEAS WHAT IS GOING ON AND HOW I CAN FIX IT?

Mel

William R. Walsh

Mar 12, 2009, 3:45:07 PM3/12/09
Hi!

> ApplicationController MSI Install Exception occurred Microsoft
> Installer error 2720 with error code 2720

> ComputerRestartRequired, Boolean_userCanceled).

Seems to me that it might think you've canceled a request to reboot.
That shouldn't cause an installation to fail, although the software
might not work correctly until after you do.

> Error Code: 2720

> " The errors below include Microsoft Windows Installer and .NET
> issues. These errors are not caused by TurboTax. Windows
> Installer and .NET are integral parts of Windows operating
> systems today, and we rely on the stability of operating
> system components. "

Uh...whatever. I did some searching against the error code given, and
it is suggested that Intuit knows about the problem with regard to
Quickbooks installation. It's hinted that the error may have to do
with a .NET Framework update. I did not find a solution.

> ANY IDEAS WHAT IS GOING ON AND HOW I CAN FIX IT?

I'm really not fond of Intuit as a company, and I don't think their
products have been all that great over the past few years.

If it were me, I'd get them on the phone and ask. It seems to me that
they *do* know about the problem but have not yet told anyone how to
fix it.

Troubleshooting the Windows Installer is not fun, and its tight
integration with the operating system can mean that if it becomes
damaged, you will be reinstalling Windows. You can try uninstalling
all TurboTax products/versions from your computer after making a
backup, and it wouldn't hurt to check to make sure your copy of the
Windows Installer is up to date.

If the problem is really with the .NET Framework update that has been
recently released, you should be able to uninstall it from the Add/
Remove programs control panel. The update itself was for .NET
Framework 3.5. This includes a copy of the .NET Framework 2.0.

William

Christopher Muto

Mar 12, 2009, 4:30:46 PM3/12/09
do you have the latest .net framework installed on your system?
visit update.microsoft.com and select 'custom' to see if there are any
'non-critical' software updates available... and repeate the process untill
there are not more... then try installing turbo tax again.

"MZB" <m...@noway.prudigy.net> wrote in message

S.Lewis

Mar 12, 2009, 5:08:12 PM3/12/09

"Christopher Muto" <mu...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> do you have the latest .net framework installed on your system?
> visit update.microsoft.com and select 'custom' to see if there are any
> 'non-critical' software updates available... and repeate the process
> untill there are not more... then try installing turbo tax again.

It's funny how Intuit's crap software never breaks anything. ;-) I have QB
Pro 2009 (clean install) on XP Pro, and while it runs well enough, it still
loads event viewer with errors. lol

I'd try to back the TT update out if updating .NET and Windows or the
installer don't help.

Or system restore........

MZB

Mar 12, 2009, 5:14:03 PM3/12/09

Well, folks, what a pain in the rear this was.

I think it is all resolved now.

(I had not updated to net 3.0 and I don't think I need to as TT was running
fine last week)

I basically used system restore. But that wasn't smooth as for some reason
System Restore didn't work either (it said it couldn;t do it!).

Does anyone know why that could happen?

So I ended up booting into safe mode and was able to use System Restore.
However, it indicated that it had to rename some TT files (that's weird).
Obviously there was a TT problem!

TT still wouldn't work. So, I uninstalled it, then reinstalled. Then it
updated smoothly.

Meanwhile, I have to do a Windows Update since I restored to last Monday.

I am wondering if the Windows Update caused the problem.

I guess I'll find out soon enough!

I plan to run my AV program (Avira) and my spyware porgram (Malwarebytes)
after I do the updates.

As I said, what a PAIN this has been.

Mel