"Chassis intrusion detected" error message appearing on laptop

Jellis

Oct 10, 2007, 11:43:20 AM10/10/07
Hello

I have a latitude D505 laptop that has the following message appear in
Windows XP intermittantly.

"Warning event notification

Chassis intrusion detected. This typically does NOT indicate a
hardware failure.

1. Contact your helpdesk if you did not personally open your chassis.
2.Enter system setup & set chassis intrustion to clear"

You can click close and there is no disruption - bizzare?

Isn't this usually a desktop PC problem? I've been into Bios and there
are no security settings for intrusion etc...

Like I say it isn't affecting the use of the laptop, just irritates
one of my users.

Anyone seen/fixed this before?

Thanks :))

wm_w...@hotmail.com

Oct 10, 2007, 4:35:33 PM10/10/07
Hi!

> Anyone seen/fixed this before?

Well, I haven't seen this problem personally...but...I'd look for the
existence of a new BIOS release. Read the release notes to see if your
problem might be fixed.

Failing that, I'd start looking for malicious software and making sure
that the laptop is properly put together--all screws tightened,
latches fastened, etc. I've never heard of a laptop that had a chassis
intrusion sensor, but it wouldn't be hard to implement. Since many
laptops have removable keyboards, one could be under there and subject
to triggering while the keyboard is being typed on.

I also never heard of Windows XP having a message for this. I run a
few machines with chassis intrusion sensors enabled and whenever
they've been triggered, only the BIOS complains...

William

Fixer

Oct 10, 2007, 5:24:07 PM10/10/07

"Jellis" <jell...@talk21.com> wrote in message

Its not something I've ever seen on laptops HOWEVER its quite normal on dell
desktop pcs and you need to drop into the BIOS to reset the switch to
enabled again

S.Lewis

Oct 10, 2007, 7:50:52 PM10/10/07

"Fixer" <ram.s...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

I'm interested to learn what the fix is here. Perhaps just clearing the
BIOS event log might make it go away.

I wasn't away of any "chassis intrusion" / security options in Dell laptop
BIOS.....

RnR

Oct 10, 2007, 8:47:28 PM10/10/07
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:43:20 -0700, Jellis <jell...@talk21.com>
wrote:

Check this out....
http://pompone.cs.ucsb.edu/admin/530_Workstation/2securty.htm#1100212

S.Lewis

Oct 10, 2007, 10:45:26 PM10/10/07

"RnR" <rnrt...@gmail.com> wrote in message

That same feature exists on many Optiplex desktops. The OP's is a
laptop.......

Strange.

Jellis

Oct 11, 2007, 4:20:16 AM10/11/07

Strange one isn't it - i've never seen it either!

The BIOS is on the latest version but i've just re-flashed it again
and will test that. I'll try tightening all the screws etc as well -
thanks for your advice. :-)

Jellis

Oct 11, 2007, 4:28:28 AM10/11/07
On 11 Oct, 01:47, RnR <rnrte...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:43:20 -0700, Jellis <jelli...@talk21.com>
> Check this out....http://pompone.cs.ucsb.edu/admin/530_Workstation/2securty.htm#1100212- Hide quoted text -

Thanks - No chassis intrusion in system security in this laptop's bios
though..

Tony Harding

Oct 11, 2007, 4:38:54 AM10/11/07

Nowhere that insidious at all <g>, you get that message on business
models, e.g., Optiplex, when someone's opened the case, even if it's
someone with Administrator privileges legitimately servicing the box.
The key is "chassis intrusion". This has nothing to do with malicious
software attacking the box.

RnR

Oct 11, 2007, 6:53:55 AM10/11/07
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 01:28:28 -0700, Jellis <jell...@talk21.com>
wrote:

Are you sure that it is not somewhere in the bios settings?
Everything I've read so far seem to have to do with the bios settings?
If not, I haven't got a clue.... yet.

S.Lewis

Oct 11, 2007, 8:03:26 AM10/11/07

> On 10 Oct, 21:35, wm_wa...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> > Anyone seen/fixed this before?

<snip>

Jellis -

Just to be clear - and since this IS a notebook and not a desktop - are you
seeing this message WITHIN Windows, or at POST just after the Dell splash
(when booting) ???

Stew

Jellis

Oct 11, 2007, 10:27:31 AM10/11/07
On 11 Oct, 13:03, "S.Lewis" <stew1...@mail.com> wrote:
> "Jellis" <jelli...@talk21.com> wrote in message

Yep, its a notebook not a desktop and the message appears in Windows
not the boot screen!

Jellis

Oct 11, 2007, 10:28:15 AM10/11/07
On 11 Oct, 11:53, RnR <rnrte...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 01:28:28 -0700, Jellis <jelli...@talk21.com>

> wrote:
>

> >On 11 Oct, 01:47, RnR <rnrte...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Check this out....http://pompone.cs.ucsb.edu/admin/530_Workstation/2securty.htm#1100212-Hide quoted text -

> >Thanks - No chassis intrusion in system security in this laptop's bios
> >though..
>
> Are you sure that it is not somewhere in the bios settings?
> Everything I've read so far seem to have to do with the bios settings?
> If not, I haven't got a clue.... yet.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah I'm positive there is nothing in the bios about intrusion
detection!

S.Lewis

Oct 11, 2007, 5:32:49 PM10/11/07

"Jellis" <jell...@talk21.com> wrote in message

Huh. Okay. Is the notebook running some version of the Dell Open Manage
network software and this maybe a vestigal alert/message coming from a
system on a former network?

Did the history of this notebook ever include being in a corporate
environment where maybe a network admin. would've owned/used it?

dxciber

Apr 20, 2009, 2:08:39 PM4/20/09

If is a Dell, go to add and remove programs and look for a program call
OMNI.
Unistall it and restart, if continue use this program to clear the
status
'http://www.myitforum.com/inc/arts/11134DellResetChassisIntrusion.zip'
(11134DellResetChassisIntrusion.zip)

Work for me on a Dell Latitude D610 without the program, i run it just
in case :) Hope this work for ya people

marcg33

Jul 25, 2010, 5:08:12 PM7/25/10

I serviced a Dell DHS desktop that was generating this same
notification. I had, of course, cracked its case during service, when I
noticed there was a mechanical piece that was clearly meant to detect
when the case was opened. In this case the solution was simple.

1. Restarted
2. Entered the system BIOS
3. Selected System Security
4. Set Chassis Intrusion Notification to Disabled
5. Saved settings and exited the system BIOS

This was the only way to clear the notification on that Dell. HTH.