Re: Why scientists reconstructed an ancient plague

Don

Aug 30, 2016, 7:38:05 PM8/30/16
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:06:29 -0700, Winston_Smith
<inv...@butterfly.net> wrote:

> [...]
>pandemics were different, and the Justinianic strain is extinct
>today."
>
>Old bones hold new clues
>
>The researchers examined the skeletons of two Justinian plague
>victims. The remains were unearthed in 1966 among several hundred
>other skeletons in a large medieval cemetery in rural southern
>Germany.
>
>"A communal burial indicates simultaneous death, or death close in
>time of those interred, and could therefore also indicate that an
>epidemic occurred," said Andreas Rott, a researcher at the State
>Collection of Anthropology and Palaeoanatomy in Munich, Germany, and a
>co-author of the study.
>
>The teeth of the plague victims, a man and a woman, were analyzed and
>used to extract DNA samples. The researchers separated the human DNA
>from bacterial DNA in order to sequence the Y. pestis genome.
>
>After analyzing the reconstructed genome, the researchers found clues
>that this ancient strain of Y. pestis might have had Chinese origins,
>which was also found in a 2014 study from a separate research team.
>
>Additionally, the new findings provide evidence that the Justinian
>plague hit rural Germany. "But more data is needed to determine the
>rate in which the disease had spread," Feldman said.
>
>"How the pathogen reached southern Germany is at present unknown.
>Possibly, it traveled across the Alps from the Mediterranean or from
>France and western Germany. It could have also traveled up the Danube
>[River] from the east," Feldman said. "The exact trade routes that the
>disease traveled in are a subject of debate among scholars. It was
>transmitted either by people or by rats that were 'traveling' with
>cargo."
>
>'Always good to have more ancient genomes'
>
>Between 1,000 and 2,000 plague cases caused by Y. pestis are reported
>to the World Health Organization each year, according to the Centers
>for Disease Control and Prevention. The three most endemic countries
>are Madagascar, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Peru.
>
>In the United States, 15 people were infected with the bubonic plague
>last year, and about four of them died.
>
>Antibiotics and antimicrobials are often used to treat the plague.
>However, with further research, many scientists think that the genomes
>of ancient pathogens could lead to improved treatments to eliminate
>plague-related deaths.
>
>"I think it's interesting and always good to have more ancient
>genomes," said Hendrik Poinar, a molecular evolutionary geneticist and
>biological anthropologist at McMaster University in Canada, who was
>not involved in the new study.
>
>More genomes could allow scientists to better detect any small changes
>in the evolution of a pathogen that may affect how quickly it can
>spread and cause disease, Poinar said. "Those sorts of things are
>critical for understanding eradication in currently plague-hit areas,

For decades, the sudden deaths of researchers in diseases has been
noticed. Typically, it's someone traveling to a foreign city to
attend a conference, or some similar occasion. The term "Mosad" often
comes up.

news16

Aug 30, 2016, 9:44:38 PM8/30/16
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:06:29 -0700, Winston_Smith wrote:

> (CNN)Scientists have just reconstructed the genome of an ancient plague,
> which may shed new light on how certain diseases can either mysteriously
> disappear or continue to evolve and spread.

I'll read the scientific report IF they find anything new. The "basic"
whys are well known and documented. basically virulent plagues don't last
long if they kill all their hosts.

Secondly. personal hygiene of educated civilisations is far higher,
supposedly these days.

The rest you can read elsewhere.

Gunner Asch

Aug 31, 2016, 12:22:44 AM8/31/16
Blink....blink.....really?

Cites?

Gunner

---

Don

Aug 31, 2016, 5:16:16 AM8/31/16
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 21:17:36 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
See search results for "mysterious death of microbiologist," as in
http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/deadbiologists.html

Gunner Asch

Aug 31, 2016, 4:16:55 PM8/31/16
Interesting article. And mention of Mossad was where in it?

Did I miss it in the (3) readings I gave it?

Perhaps you should get a vehicle and a 26' boat and drive off into the
sunset while pondering that question?

Gunner, shaking his head

Don

Aug 31, 2016, 11:42:52 PM8/31/16
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 13:11:46 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
First source I looked at
http://www.rense.com/general62/sci.htm

(quote)
Mathaba.net
10-31-4

More than 310 Iraqi scientists are thought to have perished at the
hands of Israeli secret agents in Iraq since fall of Baghdad to US
troops in April 2003, a seminar has found.

The Iraqi ambassador in Cairo, Ahmad al-Iraqi, accused Israel of
sending to Iraq immediately after the US invasion 'a commando unit'
charged with the killing of Iraqi scientists.

"Israel has played a prominent role in liquidating Iraqi scientists.
The campaign is part of a Zionist plan to kill Arab and Muslim
scientists working in applied research which Israel sees as
threatening its interests," al-Iraqi said.

http://mathaba.net/x.htm?http://mathaba.net/0_index.shtml?x=80029

>Did I miss it in the (3) readings I gave it?
>
>Perhaps you should get a vehicle and a 26' boat and drive off into the
>sunset while pondering that question?

Actually, I have a small pick-up that could probably tow a small
sailboat, like a McGreggor. Easy to launch here in Anchorage from a
boat yard only few hundred yards from a public boat launch. Many
un-named islands in coastal waters to sail to. Came close to moving
toward an older McGreggor with 25 Mercury motor, going for $6K a while
ago.

Don

Aug 31, 2016, 11:50:39 PM8/31/16
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 13:27:36 -0700, Winston_Smith
<inv...@butterfly.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 13:11:46 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote:

>>>See search results for "mysterious death of microbiologist," as in
>>>http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/deadbiologists.html
>
>>Interesting article. And mention of Mossad was where in it?
>>Did I miss it in the (3) readings I gave it?
>
>Gunner in classic whack-a-mole mode. Mention two things. He calls for
>cites. (He never, ever, ever GIVES cites.)
>
>Give him a cite for the main point. He pops up in the minor hole just
>like the mole.
>
>Now if Don gives him a cite to the minor point, Gunner will find a
>marginally related third hole to pop up in. I once chased him through
>10 levels of holes before I gave him up for worthless. Why stay with
>one topic and argue it out when there are millions of holes to avoid
>ever conceding anything?
>
>There's no hope for him; he's been doing this for more than 25 years.

My guess is that some of us at the same news group for years are
likely to get "burned out" from getting always the same information.
We should have a medal for those posing on survival topics and
managing to avoid the usual suspects. See how Gunnar, while off on
his own tangent, describes at length how prepared he is. Didn't like
it when I labeled it as "middle-class hoarding," but he knows we like
to keep it humorous, too.

Gunner Asch

Sep 1, 2016, 6:24:27 AM9/1/16
"Israeli agents" is "Mossad"?

Really?

Cites?

>(quote)
>Mathaba.net
>10-31-4
>
>More than 310 Iraqi scientists are thought to have perished at the
>hands of Israeli secret agents in Iraq since fall of Baghdad to US
>troops in April 2003, a seminar has found.
>
>The Iraqi ambassador in Cairo, Ahmad al-Iraqi, accused Israel of
>sending to Iraq immediately after the US invasion 'a commando unit'
>charged with the killing of Iraqi scientists.
>
>"Israel has played a prominent role in liquidating Iraqi scientists.
>The campaign is part of a Zionist plan to kill Arab and Muslim
>scientists working in applied research which Israel sees as
>threatening its interests," al-Iraqi said.
>
>http://mathaba.net/x.htm?http://mathaba.net/0_index.shtml?x=80029
>>
>>Did I miss it in the (3) readings I gave it?
>>
>>Perhaps you should get a vehicle and a 26' boat and drive off into the
>>sunset while pondering that question?
>
>Actually, I have a small pick-up that could probably tow a small
>sailboat, like a McGreggor. Easy to launch here in Anchorage from a
>boat yard only few hundred yards from a public boat launch. Many
>un-named islands in coastal waters to sail to. Came close to moving
>toward an older McGreggor with 25 Mercury motor, going for $6K a while
>ago.

$6k for a Mac? Thats a bit..stupid. You can buy a real boat for that
much money..one that is blue water capable. Which you need for
Alaska.

Something like this:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/5715056380.html

The Macgregor 26 you are talking about is for protected waters only. A
"coastal' boat. It is capable of a 50 hp motor..but it has all the
sailing ability of a ruptured duck and goes to windward so poorly that
Id not own one. Not to mention running either the 25hp or 50hp motor
over any distance..you will have to have so much fuel on board that
you would have no storage space for anything else..like food. A
floating molotov.

They are a "hobby" boat..and frankly..a curiosity. The much bragged
about ability to pull a water skier with a sailboat is not germain to
survival. And its water ballasted. So having the lower hull bladders
filled with water in below freezing weather will work really...poorly
up in the north lands. Fair weather boats at best..in protected
waters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ56hVbpPJk

You want a cheap boat that is rough water capable..find a "north sea"
boat. Something made in the UK perhaps

http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/5757525657.html

Tough as nails, rugged and designed for the North Sea

And keep an inflatable dingy strapped to the top of the deck, in case
you capsize..it will bring you back up right.

A Tartan 34 is the minimum Id consider for the Bering ..and its more
than $6k. Might find one for $10k if you looked around in the lower
48.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allied-Chance-30-30-Sailboat-1972-/112109237785

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Columbia-45-1973-Sailboat-/112114871635

http://www.ebay.com/itm/37-Custom-Cutter-Endurance-Built-in-England-in-1978-Blue-Water-Boat-/222234550567

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Hughes-H-38-Used-/122109873748

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/58073

Gunner Asch

Sep 1, 2016, 6:26:59 AM9/1/16
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 19:50:36 -0800, Don <book...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>Gunner in classic whack-a-mole mode. Mention two things. He calls for
>>cites. (He never, ever, ever GIVES cites.)

See Whinny lie again and again. I always give cites.

And I thought Whinny was dead? Shrug..no matter..he has been in my
killfile for nearly a decade. Nothing of interest to learn from him.
I can simply talk to my grandson and learn about lying.

Gunner