Woman attacked by shark at popular surf spot is 'fighting for her life, ' mother says

Please Help

May 1, 2017, 11:25:11 PM5/1/17
https://www.gofundme.com/leeannes-medical-fund

A woman who was attacked by a shark while swimming at a popular
surf spot off Camp Pendleton’s San Onofre State Beach is
“fighting for her life,” her mother wrote Sunday.

Leeanne Ericson was in the water at a surf break dubbed “Church”
when she was bitten on her thigh about 6:30 p.m. Saturday.
Bystanders helped pull her to shore and stanch the bleeding
until she could be airlifted to Scripps Memorial Hospital in La
Jolla, authorities said.

Christine McKnerney Leidle wrote on a GoFundMe page that her
daughter is expected to undergo several surgeries and that her
recovery will be lengthy.

“She is a single mom with three young children who depend on
her,” McKnerney Leidle wrote. “She has a long (road) ahead….”

The beach was closed after the attack, and California State
Parks officials and Marine Corps commanders appear poised to
extend the ban.

“We’ve closed the beaches in the geographic proximity to the
attack,” said Todd Lewis, the Central Sector superintendent for
California State Parks’ Orange Coast District. “It appears that
the lifeguards at Camp Pendleton are recommending that the beach
remain closed for another 24 hours. If they make that final
determination, we will follow suit.”

That would mean no swimming, surfing or diving along the coast
about a mile north and south of San Onofre State Beach.

Lewis said that Camp Pendleton’s commanders and state officials
both follow similar policies whenever there are verified reports
of “aggressive behavior or an attack” by a shark.

Camp Pendleton posted guards on Sunday to bar visitors from the
water, with lifeguards from Marine Corps Community Services on
the scene as well.

Promoted Comments
3 replies +
#1 InDaKnow1 33 points
An increase in the population of Sea Lions along the Southern
California coast has lead to more aggressive behavior by sharks.
Couple that with an increase in population of sharks due to a
larger food source available in our local waters, and this is
what we get. We need two years of increased shark fishing and
figure out a way to get better control of the increasing and
overpopulated sea lion situation. Prayers to this young lady and
her family.
Reply 2 ?5 ? Promote
7 replies +
#2 derekgrrrrr 28 points
If she was a single mom with three children what was she doing
surfing in waters where sharks are known to frequent? Now her
family wants people to donate to a gofund me page for her
reckless behavior? Hmmm.
Reply 3 ?13 ? Promote

PostPromoteCancel
All Comments
Sort by newest
Discussion Help
?
straightspeakingActive commenter4 hour(s) ago
In 1970 there were about 10,000 sea lions on the West Coast. Now
there is north of 365,000 consuming more than 4 million fish
every day. Great Whites love tasty sea-lions and so they cruise
the beach looking for lunch. But they are opportunistic;
somethings else tasty comes along and...gulp.

More sea lions means an increase in sharks, fewer fish, and
these days there are more people than ever in the water. Do the
math.
Reply 0 ?0 ?AuthorComment
ShareF T s Promote
?
UndercoverBrother1Reader5 hour(s) ago
Why do people always set up a GodFundMe page when they get
injured? Do these people have health insurance?
Reply 0 ?1 ?AuthorComment
ShareF T s Promote
?
NEVoterConnected reader in reply toUndercoverBrother1fWhy do
people always set up a...more » 4 hour(s) ago
Health insurance doesn't cover the things like rent, utilities
and child care when you're incapacitated in the hospital.
Reply 0 ?0 ?AuthorComment
ShareF T s Promote
?
JustHappytobeHereReader6 hour(s) ago
Sorry to hear this news, and I hope she makes a full & speedy
recovery.

As far as closing the beach goes, that doesn't make much sense
to me. Unless there's some way.....there isn't.....to get rid of
ALL sharks in the ocean, there is always going to be a chance of
getting bitten by a shark.
Reply 0 ?0 ?AuthorComment
ShareF T s Promote
?
lilacleafReader11 hour(s) ago
How far out was she in the water ? The further you go out the
worse the chance gets for an attack.
Reply 0 ?0 ?AuthorComment
ShareF T s Promote
?
straightspeakingActive commenter in reply tolilacleaffHow far
out was she in the wat...more » 4 hour(s) ago
Whites like to hunt the surf line; looking for sea-lions.
Reply 0 ?0 ?AuthorComment
ShareF T s Promote
?
NEVoterConnected reader in reply tolilacleaffHow far out was she
in the wat...more » 4 hour(s) ago
The story at another news outlet said she was wading.
Reply 0 ?0 ?AuthorComment
ShareF T s Promote
?
mnemonReader13 hour(s) ago
I hope the young lady survives and makes a full recovery.
Reply 0 ?0 ?AuthorComment
ShareF T s Promote
?
InDaKnow1Reader14 hour(s) ago
An increase in the population of Sea Lions along the Southern
California coast has lead to more aggressive behavior by sharks.
Couple that with an increase in population of sharks due to a
larger food source available in our local waters, and this is
what we get. We need two years of increased shark fishing and
figure out a way to get better control of the increasing and
overpopulated sea lion situation. Prayers to this young lady and
her family.
Reply 2 ?5 ?AuthorComment
ShareF T s Promote
?
Dougie 72Connected reader in reply toInDaKnow1fAn increase in
the population...more » 6 hour(s) ago
Exactly. We have to modify the Marine Mammal Protection Act to
allow for the movement of the rookeries back to the offshore
islands. Prayers for a speedy recovery and going to Surfline to
see if there is a place to send a check...she'll need it.
Reply 0 ?1 ?AuthorComment
ShareF T s Promote

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-shark-attack-woman-
20170430-story.html