Hi all

Surff

Dec 19, 2014, 1:50:12 PM12/19/14
With Rod Rodgers help I've stumbled into Googles Alt.surfing! I'm sure some old timers are here. Oh, this is Surff. Real life Dan Williams.

rodndtube

Dec 20, 2014, 12:53:37 AM12/20/14
On Friday, December 19, 2014 1:50:12 PM UTC-5, Surff wrote:
> With Rod Rodgers help I've stumbled into Googles Alt.surfing! I'm sure some old timers are here. Oh, this is Surff. Real life Dan Williams.

I don't have a name on alt.surfing 1.0 ;) Only on alt.surfing 3.0 (aka FB).

Thomas

Dec 20, 2014, 3:31:16 PM12/20/14
Once again I go looking, but it doesn't show up. I'm guessing it's a
private group.

rodndtube

Dec 20, 2014, 6:26:23 PM12/20/14
Yes... not like Usenet. We are elitists, the A.S. Come here and seek "approval" lol:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/69449484607/

Thomas

Dec 21, 2014, 8:37:40 AM12/21/14
"This content is currently unavailable. The page you requested cannot be
displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you
clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this
page."

rodndtube

Dec 21, 2014, 5:57:42 PM12/21/14
On Friday, December 19, 2014 1:50:12 PM UTC-5, Surff wrote:
> With Rod Rodgers help I've stumbled into Googles Alt.surfing! I'm sure some old timers are here. Oh, this is Surff. Real life Dan Williams.

Can I post a pic on these links? Guess not since AS was originally setup as text only.

Tom Tweed

Dec 23, 2014, 8:25:47 AM12/23/14
On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 05:37:38 -0800, Thomas <xs...@xmail.com> wrote:

>>> Once again I go looking, but it doesn't show up. I'm guessing it's a
>>> private group.
>>
>> Yes... not like Usenet. We are elitists, the A.S. Come here and seek
>> "approval" lol:
>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/69449484607/
>>

>"This content is currently unavailable. The page you requested cannot be
>displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you
>clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this
>page."

Do you have a Facebook account, Thomas? The link Rod gave above works
for me, but if you can't log into FB, it may not allow you to go
there, and Rod can't invite you to join the group if you aren't a FB
member. I searched for your name on FB and didn't find you.

TT
---------------------------------
Tom Tweed
La Jolla, CA, USA
"To me, Sean Collins is the incarnation of Lucifer."
-- Cortical
---------------------------------

Tom Tweed

Dec 23, 2014, 8:27:55 AM12/23/14
On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:50:12 -0800 (PST), Surff <surf...@aol.com>
wrote:

>With Rod Rodgers help I've stumbled into Googles Alt.surfing! I'm sure some old timers are here. Oh, this is Surff. Real life Dan Williams.

So Surff, you have discovered that the journey of A.S 1.0 still goes
on, even though many abandoned it long ago.

Thomas

Dec 23, 2014, 10:38:11 AM12/23/14
On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 05:25:47 -0800, Tom Tweed <t...@plowsharemedia.com>
wrote:

>>> Yes... not like Usenet. We are elitists, the A.S. Come here and seek
>>> "approval" lol:
>>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/69449484607/
>>>

>> "This content is currently unavailable. The page you requested cannot be
>> displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you
>> clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this
>> page."
>
> Do you have a Facebook account, Thomas? The link Rod gave above works
> for me, but if you can't log into FB, it may not allow you to go
> there, and Rod can't invite you to join the group if you aren't a FB
> member. I searched for your name on FB and didn't find you.

Yeah, had one for years under one of my "other" names. I'm thinking of
getting a 2nd account, just to see if that will work.

Tom Tweed

Dec 23, 2014, 9:24:13 PM12/23/14
Usenet was developed as a text-based interface, but people did develop
workarounds for posting binary files over the years by using uuencode
and other utilities. The problem is that many newservers dropped the
binary groups because of abiuses and storage requirements, and A.S is
specified as a non- binary group anyway (otherwise, it would be named
alt.binaries.surfing).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_newsgroup#Binary

TT

---------------------------------
Tom Tweed
La Jolla, CA, USA
"I have never been into fashion, but I am totally into style."
--Kurt "Archie" Ledterman

(PeteCresswell)

Dec 24, 2014, 5:26:48 PM12/24/14
Per Tom Tweed:

>>Can I post a pic on these links? Guess not since AS was originally setup as text only.

Open up a freebie account on Picasa or Flickr... post your pix there and
then post a link here (preferably running it through TinyURL so it does
not wrap across message lines).
--
Pete Cresswell