Latest Labs

Julie Bove

Jan 27, 2010, 12:02:29 PM1/27/10
As I posted before, the naturopath I saw said my T4 was low and wanted me on
Armour. I didn't believe this. She has tested me again since, but I've yet
to see those labs.

In the meantime, I saw my Endo. who has retested me and said my thyroid was
perfect. I have done some research online and even though I see that the
reference range is now different than what my lab uses, I still fall well
within the range.

My labs are as follows:

TSH 1.38 Reference Range 0.40-5.00

Free T-4 1.3 Reference Range 0.90-1.7

T3 Total 128.4 Reference Range 80.0-200.0

My mom tells me that this naturopath uses a range from a different Dr. She
did not know which one. I do remember in the past seeing something from
some Dr. who uses different criteria, with low body temp. being one such
thing. AFAIK I do not have low body temp. My mom does. She is cold all
the time. I am not and most of the time don't even wear a coat when I go
out. I do live in the Seattle area and we are having a mild winter. There
was ice out there today. I have on a thermal top but wore no coat when I
went out and I didn't feel cold.

I do have a few symptoms that could indicate low thyroid but certainly could
be something else as well. Such as hair loss, but... I am 50 and this also
started at the exact time that I started using insulin. I feel there is a
connection there, even though I have no cites to prove it.

I also can't seem to lose weight. I had lost some but put it back on when I
started the insulin. I don't really count this as a gain though because I
weigh the exact same now as I did 15 years ago. My weight has fluctuated
since I learned of the diabetes. I am trying to lose but some of the meds
I've been on and now the insulin just seem to cause me not to lose.

I also seem to have a really bad memory but that could also just be an age
thing...like peri-menopause.

Anyway... Does anyone know what Dr. she might be using for her reference
range? Do my labs seem so far out of whack that it would seem like I would
need Armour? I really would hate to go back on a thyroid med. I was on
Synthroid and then Levoxyl, both of which put me hyperthyroid, even at the
lowest dose. I don't want to feel like that again. Why was I on these?
Because I was overweight. That's what the Endo. (no longer my Dr.) told me.
And yes, I do know this is faulty thinking.

I am going with what my current Endo. said and not taking the Armour, and
also not taking the cortisol that she wanted me to take. He has since
tested my cortisol but I don't have those test results back yet. He tested
me before and it was fine.

dj

Jan 27, 2010, 1:38:30 PM1/27/10

Julie,

I have to agree with your Endo. Those labs look perfect to me....but I
am NOT a doctor, just a fellow thyroid sufferer who has experienced
many lab results, high, low and "normal".

With those labs, you definitely would be hyperthyroid if placed on any
kind of thyroid hormone replacement like Armour, Synthroid, Levo, etc.
A TSH of 1.38 indicates that your pituitary is happy with the amount
of thyroid hormone in your body, it's not asking your thyroid to make
much. Replacement meds are for when the TSH is high...3.0 and above
according to my Endo.

The other symptoms you mention...weight loss/gain, hair loss, memory
issues, temp issues can all be explained with the recent diabetes
diagnosis and unfortunately your age. :( I am there too.

Hope this helps. Can't really speak to the cortisol issue. Mine has
always been within range. And sounds like yours is too. Can't speak to
the Naturopath issue either. Have never used one. My totally biased
opinion would be that they are just like MDs...some are good and some
are quacks. And I have to wonder about this one if your mom has been
seeing her but is still complaining about being cold all the time????

All the best,
Diane

Julie Bove

Jan 28, 2010, 1:58:39 AM1/28/10

"dj" <johns...@cheshire.net> wrote in message

Julie,

Thanks! But there was no recent diagnosis of diabetes. I've had it for 11+
years now. Just put on insulin last year.

Hope this helps. Can't really speak to the cortisol issue. Mine has
always been within range. And sounds like yours is too. Can't speak to
the Naturopath issue either. Have never used one. My totally biased
opinion would be that they are just like MDs...some are good and some
are quacks. And I have to wonder about this one if your mom has been
seeing her but is still complaining about being cold all the time????

Yeah. I do wonder. I went to her for allergy tests and she insisted on
testing all this other stuff.

Herman Family

Jan 29, 2010, 12:58:18 AM1/29/10

"Julie Bove" <juli...@verizon.net> wrote in message
I think your endo is correct. The diabetes and its treatment may be the
major reason for your weight issues. Some of the drugs such as actos or
avandia can make you gain weight very quickly. They also make it hard to
stop eating.

Michael

Julie Bove

Jan 29, 2010, 1:25:48 AM1/29/10

"Herman Family" <the_saw_dust_place...@frontiernet.net> wrote
in message news:_Nu8n.44100$CM7....@newsfe04.iad...

Yes. I am not on those meds and I refused to take them when a former Endo.
insisted I do. My current Endo. does not prescribe them.