Single parents and traditional gender roles

Jadon Slade Androsoff

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

You know...I just thought of something...did you notice that the
single-parent role seems to challenge the traditional gender role
concept?? If you're a single mom, you would have to appropriate the
traditional male gender role traits; if you're a single dad, you would
have to appropriate the traditional female gender role traits.

Just a wild idea...what are your thoughts on it??

Jadon
ac...@sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca

* April Lynne *

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97
to Jadon Slade Androsoff

I am a single mom, and i find that i have to play both roles, and that is
hard for me to do.
I go to college and work, and then try play the dual-role. I love my son
very much, but I don't want to mislead him.
I have to give it to the single dads who are trying to maintain the
"female role". It isnt always easy.

April

John

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97

Jadon Slade Androsoff wrote:

> You know...I just thought of something...did you notice that the
> single-parent role seems to challenge the traditional gender role
> concept?? If you're a single mom, you would have to appropriate the
> traditional male gender role traits; if you're a single dad, you would
> have to appropriate the traditional female gender role traits.
>
> Just a wild idea...what are your thoughts on it??
>
> Jadon
> ac...@sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca

I disagree. A dad is a dad and a mom is a mom. Sure I've learned how
to put those little rubber bands in little girls hair, paint nails, etc,
but I am still just their dad. Anyone who attempts to say that they
cover both roles is fooling themselves. There is some blending on the
edges, but that doesn't cover the whole other role.

"Just a Dad" John

Randy Edwards

Mar 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/23/97

> I disagree. A dad is a dad and a mom is a mom. Sure I've learned how
> to put those little rubber bands in little girls hair, paint nails, etc,
> but I am still just their dad. Anyone who attempts to say that they
> cover both roles is fooling themselves. There is some blending on the
> edges, but that doesn't cover the whole other role.

I agree wholeheartedly John. Though I've learned to cover some of the
bases pretty well, I know I'm in way a sustitute for a real female role
model. Your point about blending around the edges and fooling yourself is
right on the mark.

--
Regards,
.

Bentley Wolfe

Mar 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/24/97

Having been raised by my (single mom) and grandmother has helped me a lot.
But there's still no reasonalble substitute for some kind of
opposite-gender mentors for the kids. Friends, girlfriends, boyfriends,
aunts, unclesm etc,, as long as it's positive...

In article <Pine.HPP.3.95.970321...@river.it.gvsu.edu>, *

April Lynne * <russ...@river.it.gvsu.edu> wrote:

>I am a single mom, and i find that i have to play both roles, and that is
>hard for me to do.
>I go to college and work, and then try play the dual-role. I love my son
>very much, but I don't want to mislead him.
>I have to give it to the single dads who are trying to maintain the
>"female role". It isnt always easy.

-snip-

Bentley Wolfe , Macromedia

Usenet disclaimer: */Public support forums have a higher priority than Usenet. Please don't email me directly with a technical issue. I do not have the bandwidth to reply. Sorry. Help is always available to registered users of Macromedia products through our Tech Support phone lines at 415-525-9080 or via our various priority accounts./*