Pressure Relief Cushions

asoknb

May 18, 2004, 8:00:45 AM5/18/04
My spouse will require a pressure relief cushion. These are VERY
expensive in this area so we want to be sure to get a product that
will be satisfactory.
The two top choices that have been recommended are the ROHO brand
and The STAR brand. The ROHO is more expensive, but the STAR has
also been recommended as an alternative.
Could anyone in the group who has experience with either of these
pressure relief cushions please share their opinions ?

laura davis doe

May 18, 2004, 8:54:47 AM5/18/04
Once upon a time asoknb in Xns94ED5BAF09E...@198.164.200.20 >
Quoth;

I use a silhouette by Pin dot. Very good. I found Rojo slippery. Star
looks very similar.
Lo

Robert

May 18, 2004, 9:39:51 AM5/18/04

I think it depends on what and where you intend to use the cushion. I use a
"JAY Combi" cushion on my wheelchair and find it comfortable. It is a
medium-hard, closed-cell, formed rubber cushion with a removeable, washable
cover. I got it thru my insurance but I think it was under $100 (US dollars).
And I've used if for almost 7 years.

A friend of mine (in worse shape than me...) had a problem with a bed-sore
last year and was prescribed a ROHO cushion. It is about the size of my
wheelchair cushion (18 inches by 18 inches or so) and she lays on it (the sore
is above her tailbone) in bed. No need while sitting because the sore has no
pressure when sitting. I also thought I remember the ROHO cushion (inflatable,
BTW) to be in the $100 range, also.

If you are looking for a larger or bed-length cushion cost may be
substantially higher but there are generally some good choices that don't
require a bank loan to get! Good luck.

Jim Carter

May 18, 2004, 10:10:19 AM5/18/04
On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:00:45 GMT, asoknb <carl...@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in
alt.support.mult-sclerosis:

>Could anyone in the group who has experience with either of these
>pressure relief cushions please share their opinions ?

I have a Star that was considered an alternative to the ROHO by the OT. I found
it necessary to go to the unit that had a second air chamber under my tail bone.
The cushion was never totally comfortable, but it did prevent the skin breakdown
around the tailbone, which is where we most commonly experience the breakdown.
I strongly suggest the two chamber model; I found myself frequently adjusting
the air pressure in the tailbone chamber.
__

*´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·->Jim

Joan Carter

May 18, 2004, 11:06:58 AM5/18/04
On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:00:45 GMT, asoknb <carl...@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in
alt.support.mult-sclerosis:

>My spouse will require a pressure relief cushion. These are VERY

>expensive in this area so we want to be sure to get a product that
>will be satisfactory.

Are you able to try different brands before purchase? As an ET nurse I saw a
number of cushions. We used Jay 2 often for kids in wheelchairs. But they are
pressure reduction, not pressure relief.

>The two top choices that have been recommended are the ROHO brand
>and The STAR brand. The ROHO is more expensive, but the STAR has
>also been recommended as an alternative.

ROHO and STAR seem to be the top ones now. The ROHO takes a lot of adjusting and
often the individual cells have to be tied off with an elastic band in certain
areas to decrease pressure there. From what I understand there is a lot of
adjusting of pressure to do.

As Jim said, he got a STAR which the OT recommended as superior. It is expensive
but some places offer financial help with these things. I don't know where you
are or what is available. I personally like the STAR and although it is not
perfect it is better than getting a pressure ulcer.

What works for one does not necessarily work for another. If you have a facility
that sells this type of equipment try to negotiate a trial period of various
products.

Sometimes you can work miracles. When we were choosing a pressure reduction
mattress for our bed I used my knowledge as an ET (wound care nurse) to get a
salesman to come to the house with samples of various types of mattresses. I had
chosen some for the hospital in which I worked and knew what I wanted which was
a distinct help.

I suppose I could travel if you want a second opinion. <grin>

---
Joan

Jim Carter

May 18, 2004, 3:22:47 PM5/18/04
On Tue, 18 May 2004 11:06:58 -0400, Joan Carter <spa...@softhome.net> wrote in
alt.support.mult-sclerosis:

>I don't know where you
>are or what is available.

New Brunswick, judging from the address.

white.lynx

May 18, 2004, 5:08:27 PM5/18/04
Perhaps the most important thing I could recommend is to seek the advice of
an occupational therapist. If possible, try to use an occupational
therapist from a MS clinic.

My first power wheelchair had a Jay Triad cushion which was quite suitable
for about two years. As my disease progressed, I needed something better.
My next wheelchair cushion was a Roho enhancer which had two chambers. The
outer chamber provides support for under the legs and keeps your body in the
correct position while the inner chamber cushions your buttocks and keeps
minimal pressure on your skin just under your pelvic bones. I spent $650
Canadian on this wheelchair cushion after trying out a borrowed cushion that
used gel in the middle from the medical supply dealer. This roho cushion
worked well for me for two years and needed repair about every 6 months for
leaks for the next year. Many insurance companies will pay for a new one
every year, which would seem to indicate their life expectancy is not that
high. If I could go back in time, I should have involved an occupational
therapist to help me choose that replacement.

It will all depend upon on what risk you are at for pressure sores. Any good
wheelchair cushion for someone at risk of pressure sores or who spends a
lot of time in their wheelchair and therefore needs something very
comfortable will cost at least 400 US or $500 Canadian dollars. This would
be a reasonable budget if you are able to stand up and move around
periodically. If you often get sore after sitting for a long time, you are
probably not at great risk. It is people who cannot feel that they are
getting sore that are at high risk. Not particularly important, but of
general interest when these cushions eventually wear out, which they all do,
they make wonderful cushions for sitting on a car top boat seat.

I got a new wheelchair a few months ago and it has a Roho quatro cushion
which is not on their web site, nor is there much information on it from
suppliers. The way that it is adjusted is to overinflate it and then
you sit on it and release air until it is at the right amount of pressure.
You then lock a valve which traps air in each of four separate sections of
the cushion which positions you correctly without allowing your body to
slide around on the cushion. The major difference this time is that it is
very difficult for me to re-adjust my position and I will spend up to 12 to
14 hours a day sitting in my wheelchair. While I have not had a pressure
sore, I know some people who have and it is a big deal often requiring
months in the hospital.

As this cushion was not costed out separately from the wheelchair, I am not
certain of the exact price although I suspect it's over $1000.00. This
would be appropriate for someone not able to reposition themselves much and
plans to spend a lot of time in the wheelchair. We tried a gel seat cushion
which was initially more comfortable, but stopped being effective after
about half an hour. This was because I was bottoming out with the gel
escaping to the sides. We tried to improve on this by putting a more solid
frame around the outside to keep the gel at a deeper level, but it was not
very successful. This is something that neither yourself or a spouse/friend
would likely be able to tell. This is where the occupational therapist
comes in.

If you do nothing else, make sure that you have a trained occupational
therapist helping you. I thought I knew more than I did and wish I would
have used one when I got the replacement cushion for the Jay Triad.

You might want to take a look at the following web site
http://www.roho.com
--
Larry
Rather than building character, adversity tends to reveal it

"asoknb" <carl...@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message

John

May 19, 2004, 3:46:02 PM5/19/04

ROHO...............

and save up for a ROHO mattress overlay. It is only one to get should
it be neccessairy.

John the foam expert
Denise the ROHO expert

Befuddled

May 20, 2004, 1:53:23 AM5/20/04

"John" <jvan...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

I agree, ROHO!
I think where most people have the constant adjusting problem is they use
too much air in them, my cushion is low on air pressure allowing my skinny
bony butt to sit comfortably in a soft seat keeping my tail bone off of the
pressure. Keep just enough pressure to keep your bones off the seat
underneath the cushion is the key. My sores got better and stay better. I
can hardly sit in a chair without the ROHO. And I sit in my chair most days
18 hours.