How can you tell when someone is faking a hearing test.

Jhary-a-Conel

May 19, 2004, 2:22:19 PM5/19/04
I have always wondered how medical institutions can detect when
someone is faking a test or more to the point when someone such as
myself believes that my hearing is diminishing but my MD is unable to
gauge my hearing loss. I have passed tests in the past (those beeping
tones), but I walk out certain I still have a problem. Am I going
crazy?

I am making an appointment with an audiologist, but I really want to
know more about what is going on and how the testing works. In
layman's terms if you please.

Thank you,
Jhary

Woodswun

May 19, 2004, 9:57:01 PM5/19/04

You could be losing speech discrimination, which means that you can tell that
there's sound, but you can't discriminate what it is. Further, without having
the proper set-up in a sound-proof booth, calibrated equipment, and a tester
who knows what s/he's doing, a "hearing test" isn't accurate.

Woods

Thomas H. Bunetta

May 21, 2004, 9:37:31 AM5/21/04
The Stenger test identifies malingers (fakers).
Have someone administer a "Quick SIN" test... it will quickly identify if
you are having the beginnings of discrimination problems exacerbated by
noise.
We don't hear with our ears... we hear with the brain. There are Central
Auditory Problems/Disorders that may not manifest with a "simple" audiogram.
Tom

"Woodswun" <wood...@tepidmail.com> wrote in message

Pell Nilly

May 23, 2004, 11:09:00 PM5/23/04
What's a "Quick SIN" test, and what kind of professional administers
it? (It's not the same as the Stenger test, is it?)

Who administers tests to determine central auditory
problems/disorders, and what kinds of tests achieve that
determination?

Thomas Bunetta

May 24, 2004, 6:38:59 AM5/24/04
was answered by direct email

"Pell Nilly" <pellmellw...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> What's a "Quick SIN" test, and what kind of professional administers
> it? (It's not the same as the Stenger test, is it?)

<snip>

User

May 25, 2004, 7:33:22 AM5/25/04
Neither the Quick Sin or the Stenger will ID most malingerers. The
Stenger is only good for unilateral malingerers and the quicksin is a
test for hearing in noise. There are many ways, high to low tech to
spot a malingerer. Pick up a basic audiology textbook.

On 23 May 2004 20:09:00 -0700, pellmellw...@hotmail.com (Pell

Jensen Hearing

Jun 18, 2004, 4:14:30 AM6/18/04
Hi Jhary,

Going to the audiologist is certainly a step in the right direction in
getting assessment for your hearing condition. An audiolgist can find
out the problem relating to your hearing. They are trained to assess,
diagnose and manage hearing problems. They are also sometimes called
to the witness stand when claims of hearing loss are made in the court
of law.

An audiologist can do subjective tests (pure tone audiometry, like the
one you went through) as well as objective tests where you just remain
quiet and the computers and machines and instruments read (estimate)
your hearing function.

After all that assessment they will suggest how best your hearing can
be helped.

Regards
Jensen Hearing
www.jensenhearing.com