Some more numbers and a need for lunch / food ideas

0 vue

Marvin The Paranoid Android

non lue,
5 mars 2008, 13:44:1605/03/2008
Hello!

Today's numbers for the Missus ...

Morning after fasting 5.1
2 hours after breakfast 7.3
Just before lunch 3.8
1 hour after lunch 8.8

Lunch was slightly hurried when I saw the 3.8.

Breakfast was 1 serving of Red River Cereal (1/4 cup cereal with 1 cup
water), a pear, a small yogurt and a single egg omelet (made with Egg
Beaters to remove the cholesterol).

Lunch consisted of veggie bologna (1 mg Carb) on 1 slice of whole
grain bread, an apple, raw baby carrots, sliced cucumber, celery and
brocolli with veggie dip, 2/3 glass of skim milk and one small yogurt
(fruit bottom). The milk and yogurt we calculated as 1 carb serving.

We're at 3 carbs per meal as per instructions from the endocrinology
unit. We were at 4 but called and told them we found it difficult at
4 carbs plus the missus felt stuffed afterwards.

My question WRT to lunch ideas -- what are some good low GI foods that
are fairly easy to prepare (even ahead of time and placed in the
fridge) and good for lunches (or away from home meals)?

Today I bought some navy beans and soaked them so we can have some
with dinner. They have a GI of 30 ... I haven't had these since I was
a kid and I loved them with a little butter and pepper and salt.

I'm suspecting that the bread products (even whole grain) are causing
the numbers to spike at lunch.

Anyhow that's it -- still deep in the learning curve.

Cheers!

-- The Androids

Kurt

non lue,
5 mars 2008, 14:23:0405/03/2008
On Mar 5, 10:44�am, Marvin The Paranoid Android

<marvinparanoidandr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> My question WRT to lunch ideas -- what are some good low GI foods that
> are fairly easy to prepare (even ahead of time and placed in the
> fridge) and good for lunches (or away from home meals)?

This might help...

http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

Kurt

Nicky

non lue,
5 mars 2008, 14:50:0005/03/2008
On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 10:44:16 -0800 (PST), Marvin The Paranoid Android
<marvinpara...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My question WRT to lunch ideas -- what are some good low GI foods that
>are fairly easy to prepare (even ahead of time and placed in the
>fridge) and good for lunches (or away from home meals)?

I don't think you could eat anything I do, on your wife's current dose
of insulin, she'd go too low.

Typing "recipe low GL" into google looks interesting?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

ray

non lue,
5 mars 2008, 15:38:2905/03/2008
On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:44:16 -0800, Marvin The Paranoid Android wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Today's numbers for the Missus ...
>
> Morning after fasting 5.1
> 2 hours after breakfast 7.3
> Just before lunch 3.8
> 1 hour after lunch 8.8
>
> Lunch was slightly hurried when I saw the 3.8.
>
> Breakfast was 1 serving of Red River Cereal (1/4 cup cereal with 1 cup
> water), a pear, a small yogurt and a single egg omelet (made with Egg
> Beaters to remove the cholesterol).

The pear and cereal are probably quite high in carbs. The only cereal
I've found I can get away with is Special K High Protein. Six days per
week breakfast is two eggs, two slices bacon, 1/2 english muffin.

> Lunch consisted of veggie bologna (1 mg Carb) on 1 slice of whole grain
> bread, an apple, raw baby carrots, sliced cucumber, celery and brocolli
> with veggie dip, 2/3 glass of skim milk and one small yogurt (fruit
> bottom). The milk and yogurt we calculated as 1 carb serving.

My lunch is normally two WASA Fibre wafers, margarine and sharp cheddar
cheese. FWIW the lowest carb bread I've found is Oroweat Doubl Fibre - I
also have found low carb tortillas recently.

> We're at 3 carbs per meal as per instructions from the endocrinology
> unit. We were at 4 but called and told them we found it difficult at 4
> carbs plus the missus felt stuffed afterwards.

If each 'carb unit' is 15 grams (I think that's standard) that is a lot
of carbs. In his book "Diabetes Solution" Dr. Richard Bernstein
recommends a total of 30 grams carb daily for his diabetic patients 6gm
breakfast and 12 each lunch and dinner. I usually run 30-50 grams per
day. That with exercise and metformin keeps my numbers under control.

Ozgirl

non lue,
5 mars 2008, 17:43:5505/03/2008

"Marvin The Paranoid Android" <marvinpara...@hotmail.com> wrote in
message

Its the total carbs. try separating some of the carbs from main meals.
Example, have a slad with a bit of protein and maybe 1 slice of grain bread
for lunch, leave the milk, fruit and yoghurts for standalone snacks, spaced
out. Same carbs but over more time, less chance to spike. The spiking after
breakfast casued a reactive drop before lunch. All of this means your wife
is still taxing her pancreas and this could lead to diabetic progression.
Little and often is a good motto and less rather than more carbs at
breakfast is even better.

Marvin The Paranoid Android

non lue,
5 mars 2008, 20:28:4305/03/2008
On Mar 5, 5:43 pm, "Ozgirl" <are_we_there_...@maccas.com> wrote:
> "Marvin The Paranoid Android" <marvinparanoidandr...@hotmail.com> wrote in
> messagenews:c54f0818-08d3-4537...@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

That's what I thought it was supposed to be ... small meals, more
often or spread out.

I dunno ... the BG numbers just continued to climb as the afternoon
wore on. At bedtime tonight her BG was 16 ... this is stupid. We
start off each day with high-hopes and decent BG numbers then her BG
just goes up and up. Talk about feeling useless --- my wife had asked
if it was OK to split the carb intake to every 2 hours instead of at
each meal. I'm not sure what they're reasoning was but we'll be
asking again tomorrow. We'll be calling the clinic in the morning.

Thanks for info.

Cheers,
Marvin

kuze

non lue,
5 mars 2008, 21:41:5105/03/2008
If you get consistent high readings at suppertime you may have to
increase your evening insulin dose.That is what I had to do.
There will be tweaking the doses when you are new to insulin.

kuze
T1/1994
humalogx3/lantusx1

Tiger_Lily

non lue,
5 mars 2008, 23:12:3905/03/2008
kuze wrote:
> If you get consistent high readings at suppertime you may have to
> increase your evening insulin dose.That is what I had to do.
> There will be tweaking the doses when you are new to insulin.
>
> kuze
> T1/1994
> humalogx3/lantusx1

no........... if they are getting consistent high readings at
suppertime, that means the lunch time dose of insulin is insufficient

in this case NPH is the lunch time dose out of the 70/30 mix

as the bg levels are GOOD prior to lunch you can't increase the dose of
70/30........ however you CAN switch to a basal/bolus insulin that will
allow Mrs Android to shoot the insulin she needs for each meal, and her
basal insulin won't be doing double duty covering her lunch time dose as
well

the Androids have a problem to sort out with the Dr tomorrow.........
the 70/30 is NOT working for them at all....... not with those high
evening numbers, then a DROP over night to a good am number!

kate

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

non lue,
5 mars 2008, 23:30:0905/03/2008
Marvin The Paranoid Android wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Today's numbers for the Missus ...
>
> Morning after fasting 5.1
> 2 hours after breakfast 7.3
> Just before lunch 3.8
> 1 hour after lunch 8.8
>
> Lunch was slightly hurried when I saw the 3.8.
>
> Breakfast was 1 serving of Red River Cereal (1/4 cup cereal with 1 cup
> water), a pear, a small yogurt and a single egg omelet (made with Egg
> Beaters to remove the cholesterol).
>
> Lunch consisted of veggie bologna (1 mg Carb) on 1 slice of whole
> grain bread, an apple, raw baby carrots, sliced cucumber, celery and
> brocolli with veggie dip, 2/3 glass of skim milk and one small yogurt
> (fruit bottom). The milk and yogurt we calculated as 1 carb serving.
>
> We're at 3 carbs per meal as per instructions from the endocrinology
> unit. We were at 4 but called and told them we found it difficult at
> 4 carbs plus the missus felt stuffed afterwards.
>
> My question WRT to lunch ideas -- what are some good low GI foods that
> are fairly easy to prepare (even ahead of time and placed in the
> fridge) and good for lunches (or away from home meals)?

Smarter to lose the black fat...

http://HeartMDPhD.com/OffalFat

http://HeartMDPhD.com/BlackFat

... by eating less, down to the right amount:

http://HeartMDPhD.com/BeSmart

This completely free Approach comes with free cardiologist support via
usenet plus an unprecedented 2 million dollar guarantee, whose details
have been freely posted on sci.med.cardiology:

http://HeartMDPhD.com/Guarantee

http://HeartMDPhD.com/Guarantee/Criteria

Be hungry... be healthy... be hungrier... be euglycemic:

http://TheWellnessFoundation.com/BeHealthy

Prayerfully in the infinite power and might of the Holy Spirit,

Andrew <><
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Lawful steward of http://EmoryCardiology.com

Ozgirl

non lue,
6 mars 2008, 04:16:0206/03/2008

"Marvin The Paranoid Android" <

That's what I thought it was supposed to be ... small meals, more
often or spread out.

I dunno ... the BG numbers just continued to climb as the afternoon
wore on. At bedtime tonight her BG was 16 ... this is stupid. We
start off each day with high-hopes and decent BG numbers then her BG
just goes up and up. Talk about feeling useless --- my wife had asked
if it was OK to split the carb intake to every 2 hours instead of at
each meal. I'm not sure what they're reasoning was but we'll be
asking again tomorrow. We'll be calling the clinic in the morning.

Thanks for info.

well as long as you feel you are getting the same nutrition from spacing out
there is not a thing wrong with it. It stops the spiking and also any
reactive hypos. When the bg's go up natural insulin is released, with a
faulty system the insulin comes in later than usual and can work a lot
longer than needed. Hence the lows after a high carb meal.

Marvin The Paranoid Android

non lue,
6 mars 2008, 06:29:4706/03/2008
On Mar 5, 11:12 pm, Tiger_Lily <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> kuze wrote:
> > If you get consistent high readings at suppertime you may have to
> > increase your evening insulin dose.That is what I had to do.
> > There will be tweaking the doses when you are new to insulin.
>
> > kuze
> > T1/1994
> > humalogx3/lantusx1
>
> no........... if they are getting consistent high readings at
> suppertime, that means the lunch time dose of insulin is insufficient
>
> in this case NPH is the lunch time dose out of the 70/30 mix
>
> as the bg levels are GOOD prior to lunch you can't increase the dose of
> 70/30........ however you CAN switch to a basal/bolus insulin that will
> allow Mrs Android to shoot the insulin she needs for each meal, and her
> basal insulin won't be doing double duty covering her lunch time dose as
> well
>
> the Androids have a problem to sort out with the Dr tomorrow.........
> the 70/30 is NOT working for them at all....... not with those high
> evening numbers, then a DROP over night to a good am number!
>
> kate

Her fasting numbers, post-breakfast, and pre-lunch numbers are good.
So her evening shot is good, and the fast acting portion of the 30/70
is fine too. It's the slow acting portion that's not enough .... but
we can't increase it anymore. So ... I dunno ... maybe 20/80 ... I
dunno ...

Ozgirl

non lue,
6 mars 2008, 07:29:2806/03/2008

"Marvin The Paranoid Android"

Her fasting numbers, post-breakfast, and pre-lunch numbers are good.
So her evening shot is good, and the fast acting portion of the 30/70
is fine too. It's the slow acting portion that's not enough .... but
we can't increase it anymore. So ... I dunno ... maybe 20/80 ... I
dunno ...

-----------

Or go to a basal and a bolus regimen. You are discovering the limitations
of the mixes.

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

non lue,
6 mars 2008, 12:42:2006/03/2008
http://HeartMDPhD.com/OAF

<><

2008th year since the birth of our LORD Jesus Christ as the Son of
Man ...

... by being hungrier:

http://TruthRUS.org/KnowingGOD

Hunger is wonderful:

http://HeartMDPHD.com/Hunger

It's how we know what GOD wants, which is what is good.

Yes, hunger is our knowledge of good versus evil that Adam and Eve
paid for with their and our immortal lives.

Those who suffer from the powerful delusion predicted by the prophecy
of 2 Thessalonians 2:9-11 would deny this and perish ( gone !!! )
forever ...

http://HeartMDPhD.com/Convicts/CrazyOne

http://HeartMDPhD.com/Convicts/CrazyTwo

http://HeartMDPhD.com/Convicts/CrazyThree

http://HeartMDPhD.com/Convicts/CrazyFour

http://HeartMDPhD.com/Convicts/Bob

... gone:

http://YouTube.com/watch?v=Qb6d_z5C35E

Such will be the demise of all those who refuse to know **and** love
the truth, Who is LORD Jesus Christ:

http://HeartMDPhD.com/Love/TheTruth

Be hungry... be healthy... be hungrier... be blessed:

http://HeartMDPhD.com/HolySpirit/BeBlessed

"Blessed are you who hunger NOW...

... for you will be satisfied." -- LORD Jesus Christ (Luke 6:21)

Amen.

http://HeartMDPhD.com/HolySpirit/Luke6_21

Trinkwasser

non lue,
7 mars 2008, 14:58:1207/03/2008

Yes I'd go along with that, drop some of the breakfast carbs and have
them, in a snack between breakfast and lunch, drop some of the lunch
carbs and have them a couple of hours later?

Unfortunately I suspect most of what I eat would be too low in carbs,
but try oatcakes or ryebread in place of wheat bread, especially with
butter, cheese or nut butters - the fats (mostly beneficial types)
should slow the absorbtion of the carbs.

It's nearly working up until she runs out of insulin in the
afternoon/evening, this is where the "complicated" basal-bolus routine
scores over the "easy" mixes.

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

non lue,
8 mars 2008, 05:21:0608/03/2008