NEWS: L'il Speedbump's duh tries to blame someone else

1 view

nokomis

Oct 28, 2003, 2:43:05 PM10/28/03

Hey, remember that double l'il speedbump that I posted last week? The one where
duh left a two year old unattended (oh, and the door open as well) for "just a
minute or two" and she got run over by a neighbor?

His stupidity didn't end there.

Instead of doing the RIGHT thing (calling 911 and NOT MOVING THE VICTIM), he
tossed the flattened sprog into his car and drove her to a hospital that DIDN'T
have a trauma unit (earth to daddie, you have SIX kids and don't even know where
the nearest ER is?). The sprog was eventually transferred to a trauma center,
unflattening was attempted, and she died a while later.

So what does daddie do to assuage his feelings of guilt over the way his
incredible lack of common sense cost his pweshus sprog's life?

HE SUES THE HOSPITAL!

(Well, OK, he hasn't sued yet, but you KNOW where this is going. God forbid a
PARENT be responsible for delays in proper medical care.)

Will someone PLEASE tell me why people are allowed to breed without even being
subject to basic first aid course?

-valerie (the disgusted one)
nok...@tdl.com

--
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/7121348.htm

State to review care before S.J. girl's death

By Lisa Fernandez
Mercury News

The state Department of Health Services said Monday it will investigate whether
there were delays in treatment at Regional Medical Center of San Jose that
contributed to the death of 2-year-old Beatriz Garcia on Oct. 17.

State officials said they launched the inquiry after the Mercury News reported
that Jeronimo Garcia was questioning the care his daughter received at the
hospital, where he took the girl after she was run over by a neighbor's car.
Garcia said it took two hours and 40 minutes to transfer the toddler to a trauma
center.

``We're concerned about what we're hearing,'' said Albert Quintero, district
manager of the department's licensing office in San Jose. ``There are some
questions about delay of care. We're looking to see if there was a delay.''

Dave Delaney, chief financial officer for Regional Medical Center, said he was
not aware of the health department's investigation. But he said he was not
surprised the state is looking into Beatriz's death.

Health officers say they plan to interview hospital staff and will have a state
physician review Beatriz's medical records to see whether she was given timely
treatment.

The investigation, officials said, could take a few days to a few weeks. If the
inquiry does uncover problems, penalties could range from a written disciplinary
citation to revoking the facility's license -- which is highly improbable unless
there are systemwide deficiencies, Quintero said.

Beatriz's mother, Alicia Bustamante, said she is relieved the state is looking
into her daughter's death. Speaking in Spanish, with a daughter as an
interpreter, Bustamante said, ``I want them to investigate. I don't want this to
happen to anyone else.''

Beatriz slipped out of her house about 3:30 p.m. Oct. 17 as her father, 39, went
outside to fix a loose wheel on her bike. No one saw her get run over by her
neighbor's sedan.

Instead of calling 911, her father drove her to the closest hospital -- Regional
Medical Center, formerly Alexian Brothers Hospital. But Regional is not a trauma
center and does not have a 24-hour team of surgeons to treat major external
injuries.

Once patients enter a hospital, it is against federal law for hospitals to
release or transfer patients before giving them a thorough medical screening.
Regional screened Beatriz and performed tests, but it took too long, her father
said.

Citing federal privacy laws, Regional has declined to discuss Beatriz's case.

But Garcia has said it took two hours and 40 minutes before his daughter was
transferred 2 1/2 miles away to Regional's sister hospital, San Jose Medical
Center, which has a trauma unit. She died there at 7:09 p.m., her death
certificate shows.

Monday, more details emerged surrounding the timeline of the toddler's care.

• Diana Hunter, Santa Clara County's administrative coroner, said Beatriz was
triaged at Regional Medical at 3:45 p.m. The toddler received a CT scan at 4:30.
Hunter would not provide further details, such as what other tests were taken or
when an ambulance was called, saying an autopsy report would not be made public
for a month.

• A Regional nurse called San Jose police to report the accident at 4:31 p.m.,
Sgt. Steve Dixon said.

• Clay Abajian, critical care transport program manager for the ambulance
company, American Medical Response, said it took an ambulance 14 minutes to
reach Regional after the hospital called. It took the ambulance 10 minutes to
take Beatriz to San Jose Medical. Abajian would not say when Regional called the
ambulance company.

The state health department has been called to investigate about 55 complaints
at Regional Medical Center since 1999 when Hospital Corp. of America, based in
Nashville, bought the hospital. The company also owns San Jose Medical Center.

Ten of those complaints were substantiated by health investigators, according to
state records reviewed by the Mercury News. That ratio is ``pretty average'' for
most hospitals, Quintero said. The complaints included a newborn being given to
the wrong mother who slept with the baby for an hour, nurses signing off on
charts without reading them fully, two instances of nurse shortages in the
intensive-care unit and some cases of operations in which consent was not
granted ahead of time.

However, he did say that one of those complaints was highly ``unusual'' and
egregious.

On June 27, a patient's EKG strip showed his heart rate dropping to alarming
levels, a health department report shows. A bell at the nurses desk was
activated, but no one responded for 35 minutes, the report shows. The patient
died. Neither the patient nor the nurse was identified in state files.

The hospital's ``plan of correction'' was to force the nurse to resign,
re-educate the staff and implement an ``action plan'' to prevent patients being
ignored for that long again.

LinuxLibrarian

Oct 29, 2003, 1:43:39 PM10/29/03
nokomis wrote:

> Will someone PLEASE tell me why people are allowed to breed without even being
> subject to basic first aid course?
>
> -valerie (the disgusted one)
> nok...@tdl.com

Er, 'cause copulating is a base instinct of all sexually-reproducing
creatures, whereas first aid has to be taught to beings with at least
the intelligence of a chimp.
(some idiot can always be counted on to answer the rhetorical questions;
it was my turn to volunteer).
--LL

Stephen J. Rush

Oct 29, 2003, 7:54:01 PM10/29/03

Just to continue the nitpicking, many (Most?) organisms that reproduce
sexually don't _copulate_. Flowering plants depend on insects or the
wind. Most fish (W.C. Fields to the contrary) don't fuck. The female
lays eggs and the male comes along later and fertilizes them, hence
the expression "poor fish."

[Break] I wonder what causes breederbrain syndrome in _men?_ I can
understand placenta poisoning, but what is it that attacks Daddy's
brain? Babyshit fumes?

LinuxLibrarian

Oct 30, 2003, 11:14:44 AM10/30/03
Stephen J. Rush wrote:

> Just to continue the nitpicking, many (Most?) organisms that reproduce
> sexually don't _copulate_. Flowering plants depend on insects or the
> wind. Most fish (W.C. Fields to the contrary) don't fuck. The female
> lays eggs and the male comes along later and fertilizes them, hence
> the expression "poor fish."

Acknowledged. Hence the 'idiot' disclaimer! "Dammit Jim, I'm a
librarian, not a biologist!"

> [Break] I wonder what causes breederbrain syndrome in _men?_ I can
> understand placenta poisoning, but what is it that attacks Daddy's
> brain? Babyshit fumes?

Perhaps the chance to prove to his luser friends that he's "gotten him
some" at least *once* in his life (if the sprog happens to end up
bearing any family resemblance).
Personally, I can't imagine it anymore than I can imagine why blowing
oneself + a few others sky high is considered an eloquent or effective
protest of *anything*. But that's another matter.
--LL