asthmador

David Drake

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96

Is anyone in this newsgroup old enough to remember using a product
called Asthmador? It was a greenish powder that came in a can and you
poured some out into a saucer and burned it, inhaling the smoke. It
took time to work but in the days when very little else did, it
produced a beneficial effect.

The last time I remember using it was 1956. It apparently disappeared
from pharmacy shelves in the 1960s and I've never seen it since.

Some years later when I served a term on grand jury we had a case
involving drugs and I got my first chance to smell marijuana when the
DEA agent passed it around the table. To my surprise it smelled just
like asthmador!

Could that be what it was made of?

Dot

Alan Shinn

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96

In article <4men3c$i...@dfw-ixnews7.ix.netcom.com>,
ddr...@ix.netcom.com(David Drake ) wrote:

Dot:
I think that Asthmador was a misture of herbs, mostly belladona.

--
Looking forward:
Alan Shinn als...@sirius.com

G Zanzig

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

David Drake wrote:

> Is anyone in this newsgroup old enough to remember using a product
> called Asthmador? It was a greenish powder that came in a can and you
> poured some out into a saucer and burned it, inhaling the smoke. It
> took time to work but in the days when very little else did, it
> produced a beneficial effect.
>
> The last time I remember using it was 1956. It apparently disappeared
> from pharmacy shelves in the 1960s and I've never seen it since.
>
> Some years later when I served a term on grand jury we had a case
> involving drugs and I got my first chance to smell marijuana when the
> DEA agent passed it around the table. To my surprise it smelled just
> like asthmador!
>
> Could that be what it was made of?
>
> DotHi Dot; I'm old enough, but never heard of this drug. I do recall
hearing of something you could smoke, but thats all I remember.

In about 1957, the University Student Health Center advised me to use
direct injection of Adrenaline 1:100 - which I did. I was instructed in
the art of self injection and care of needles and syringes. It worked
wonders, but had significant side effects. But hey, they were nothing
compared to the alternative, which was nothing at all.

I would like to know if you or others on the net went this same route?

Thank you,

Gary Zanzig

Giori

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

Whatever asthmador was made of, it DID smell like marijuana. I had the
same reaction the first time I smelled marijuana. Took me back 10 years to
that little pile of smoldering green powder.

Gina Spadafori
gi...@al.com

KlineWils

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

I can remember my grandmother in Calif. smoking something strange (she was
a non-smoker otherwise) for asthma. That was just a little while ago, as
I am now a grandmother !

Jan

mike c.

May 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/7/96
to ddr...@ix.netcom.com

Hi,

And yes I am old enough to remember asthmador.Only I remember mine being
In the form of a cigerette. Having gone through the 60s and 70s I can
tell you the aroma was quite like canabis......who knows,If It works so
be It....

regards,Mike C.

mike c.

May 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/7/96
to ddr...@ix.netcom.com

Gary Shuster

May 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/7/96

Gary Zanzig wrote:

>In about 1957, the University Student Health Center advised me to use
>direct injection of Adrenaline 1:100 - which I did. I was instructed
in
>the art of self injection and care of needles and syringes. It worked
>wonders, but had significant side effects. But hey, they were nothing
>compared to the alternative, which was nothing at all.
>
>I would like to know if you or others on the net went this same route?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Gary Zanzig

I also used adrenalin in the mid to late 50s. My Dad was a diabetic,
and both my brother and I were (and still are) asthmatic. All three of
us learned to give shots to ourselves and each other.

Before Aadrenalin became available the medics tried things like
pyrobenzamine and benadryl, to little avail. Adrenalin was the first
product that really worked, and it worked fast, generally within 15
minutes. As I recall, it was supplied in 1cc ampules, and we quickly
learned to give ourselves two shots, each .5cc. Sometimes the first
shot took care of it and we wouldn't need the second. The only side
effect I remember were "the shakes."

Anyone else remember hitting themselves with adrenalin?

Another Gary

Lee Thompson-Herbert

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

In article <4mob0g$a...@dfw-ixnews2.ix.netcom.com>,
Gary Shuster <papa...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
[...]

>Anyone else remember hitting themselves with adrenalin?

Adrenalin = epinephrine. Anyone who has severe allergies probably
carries an EpiPen kit. The general rule is that if it's severe enough
that you have to use the epi, then get your butt to an ER. The effects
don't last very long, so it often wears off before the attack has run
its course. One of my friends carries a second syringe pre-loaded
with Benadryl. Since she lives 25-30 minutes away from the nearest
hospital, the hope is that the two drugs together will keep things
under control until the paramedics get there.

--
Lee M.Thompson-Herbert lee @crl.com All spelling lames will be cheerfully
Chaos Monger KD6WUR deleted. If your hands were as mangled

Amber K. Robey

May 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/12/96

Lee Thompson-Herbert (l...@crl.com) wrote:
: In article <4mob0g$a...@dfw-ixnews2.ix.netcom.com>,

: Gary Shuster <papa...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
: [...]
: >
: >Anyone else remember hitting themselves with adrenalin?

I have - a couple of times but all the other times it has been by
paramedics or ER docs.

: Adrenalin = epinephrine. Anyone who has severe allergies probably

: carries an EpiPen kit. The general rule is that if it's severe enough
: that you have to use the epi, then get your butt to an ER.

I agree...call the paramedics or 9-1-1 if your asthma or allergic
reaction is bad enough to warrant using Epi. My heart rate has
gone up to 180 with Epi (combined with Ventolin) but I was at the
ER by this time and they are able to monitor you closely.

Some Epi syringes can administer one or two doses. I have not
needed to use Epi for sometime (it has just been the paramedics
who have used it on me) but does anybody know if the Epi-pen has
two doses ?

Amber

Lori L Morris

May 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/12/96

On 12 May 1996 15:28:18 GMT, akr...@acs5.acs.ucalgary.ca (Amber K.
Robey) wrote:

but does anybody know if the Epi-pen has
>two doses ?
>
>Amber

The Epi--pen DOE NOT have 2 doses. It only has one.
The ANA-KIT has TWO DOSES in it but you have to be comfortable with
using the syringe and injecting it, whereas the spring loaded Epi-Pen
makes it all compact and neat. On camping trips and places far from
help, sometimes the 2 dose ANA-KIT should be carried. Here in Toronto,
on a prescription, 1 Epi-Pen is $76. The ANA KIT is $32.

Lori Morris
lori....@utoronto.ca

Mark D. Feblowitz x2947

May 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/13/96

> who have used it on me) but does anybody know if the Epi-pen has
> two doses ?

The EpiPen contains only one dose. It may not cut through all
reactions, and it may not give you more than a few minutes relief, so
getting to a trauma center immediately is the right move. If you're
lucky, you'll get there and not need them.

Mark Feblowitz, GTE Laboratories Inc., 40 Sylvan Rd. Waltham, MA 02254
mfebl...@GTE.com, (617) 466-2947, fax: (617) 466-2618

Amber K. Robey

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

Hi Lori,

: but does anybody know if the Epi-pen has
: >two doses ?
: >
: >Amber

: The Epi--pen DOE NOT have 2 doses. It only has one.
: The ANA-KIT has TWO DOSES in it but you have to be comfortable with

That's right...thank you for clearing this up for me. I did use
to have the ana-kit but like the Epi-pen much better. Although
there is a huge price difference as you mention below. I am
hoping that my drug plan will cover the Epi-pen as I used my last
one for a bad attack and have not had a chance to replace it yet.

Amber

: using the syringe and injecting it, whereas the spring loaded Epi-Pen

winni...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2018, 7:51:13 PM8/11/18
My uncle had asthma and smoked asthmador cigarettes. Like you, the first time I smelled marijuana at a concert years later, I thought, that is what he was smoking. I think they just gave fancy names to it. I can’t believe any other leafsmells like that. Now they are saying marijuana is a relief for asthma. Something fishy and it’s not swimming.