Mom is scratching....

NanaWilson

Dec 15, 2009, 2:54:16 PM12/15/09
Me Mom is 85 & being taken care of by 87 yo Pop. She can't seem to stop
scratching her self to the point of bleeding. Pop has cut her fingernails.
He has put tape over her scratched areas. He has admonished her to no
avail. We are at our wits end as to how to stop her from this habit. Any
ideas?

Nana

Mary Gordon

Dec 15, 2009, 3:02:10 PM12/15/09

Evelyn

Dec 15, 2009, 4:50:25 PM12/15/09

"NanaWilson" <nna...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

We use Gold Bond lotion in the green bottle. It always helps for strange
itches. Don't get any of the other kinds of Gold Bond, since they are not
medicated to stop itch.

But the link Mary provided goes into every possible source of itching, and
there are so many possibilities! Hope you find the right one.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Brick

Dec 15, 2009, 9:52:40 PM12/15/09

Sorry I can't offer any helpful advice, but I could sure use some if any
is forthcoming. DW (72) does the same thing including during/after
a feces event. She is neither aware of what she is doing nor does she
have any understanding that she should not do that. It's pretty disgusting.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

NanaWilson

Dec 15, 2009, 10:03:27 PM12/15/09
Thanks to all. I will print out the info & pass it along to Pop.

Again, Many thanks,
Nana

"Brick" <hrbr...@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message

Justin Hale

Dec 17, 2009, 4:07:13 PM12/17/09

"Brick" <hrbr...@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message

My problem is unrelated to Alzheimer's but my ankles, particularly, itch a
lot, sometimes to the extent I'll scratch until they bleed. After trying
several lotions with little success a friend recommended Cetaphil, a product
from Canada but available in all drug stores or pharmacies. It's more
expensive than Vaseline or Lubriderm but for me, Cetaphil works wonders, and
the effect often lasts more than one day.

Ken Bland

Brick

Dec 18, 2009, 2:31:56 AM12/18/09

On 17-Dec-2009, "Justin Hale" <Ken_...@Mindspring.com> wrote:

> "Brick" <hrbr...@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message

. . .

> My problem is unrelated to Alzheimer's but my ankles, particularly, itch
> lot, sometimes to the extent I'll scratch until they bleed. After trying
>
> several lotions with little success a friend recommended Cetaphil, a
> product
> from Canada but available in all drug stores or pharmacies. It's more
> expensive than Vaseline or Lubriderm but for me, Cetaphil works wonders,
> and
> the effect often lasts more than one day.
>
> Ken Bland

Wonderful. It happens I still have a couple of bottles of Cetaphil on hand.
It was prescribed for me some years ago. It's labelled as a non-alkaline,
non-comedogenic cleanser. It may be used with or without a water rinse.
In either case dry the cleansed area with a soft cloth. The product I have
is in fact made in Canada.

Justin Hale

Dec 18, 2009, 4:36:36 PM12/18/09
Comment at the bottom.

"Brick" <hrbr...@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message

When I recommended Cetaphil for relief from itching I wasn't thinking that
if an Alzheimer's patient scratches himself or herself it may be an
involuntary, nervous reaction, unrelated to itching. Probably no lotion is
of help for that.

There are two formulas for Cetaphil, a cleanser and a moisturizing lotion,
packaged almost identically. It's the latter one that I like.

Ken Bland

Brick

Dec 20, 2009, 3:38:27 PM12/20/09

On 18-Dec-2009, "Justin Hale" <Ken_...@Mindspring.com> wrote:

> "Brick" <hrbr...@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message

. . .

> When I recommended Cetaphil for relief from itching I wasn't thinking
> that
> if an Alzheimer's patient scratches himself or herself it may be an
> involuntary, nervous reaction, unrelated to itching. Probably no lotion
> is
> of help for that.
>
> There are two formulas for Cetaphil, a cleanser and a moisturizing
> lotion,
> packaged almost identically. It's the latter one that I like.
>
> Ken Bland

Thank for the fill in. In this case it is almost certainly real itching.

Gail Michael

Feb 5, 2010, 12:29:15 AM2/5/10
Calamine Lotion is pretty good.
Gail