Generic ASIO driver for WDM (Download)

Michael Tippach

Dec 9, 2003, 10:49:56 PM12/9/03
Supposed to run under Win2k&XP with any budget WDM audio.
Just finished this to a point where others may find it useful:

http://www.tippach.net/asio4all/

...if you want to give it a try.

Best regrads,

Michael Tippach

tom

Dec 12, 2003, 5:03:37 AM12/12/03
Michael Tippach <mtip...@gmx.net> wrote in news:3FD697E4.538E1616
@gmx.net:

very good idea !! nize work !! but it doesnt work for me. i get a
generalprotectionfault :(

i have a Avance AC97 Audio Onboard card.

ok. thats not a _good_ card but with a _good_ asio drivers are allready
included.

have fun
inteks

Michael Tippach

Dec 12, 2003, 4:02:26 PM12/12/03
tom wrote:

> Michael Tippach <mtip...@gmx.net> wrote in news:3FD697E4.538E1616
> @gmx.net:
>
> > Supposed to run under Win2k&XP with any budget WDM audio.
> > Just finished this to a point where others may find it useful:
> >
> > http://www.tippach.net/asio4all/
> >
> > ...if you want to give it a try.
> >
> > Best regrads,
> >
> > Michael Tippach
> >
> very good idea !! nize work !! but it doesnt work for me. i get a
> generalprotectionfault :(

This is bad news. Could you please email me with a more detailed
error description e.g. access violation at CS:EIP= blah blah
when does it happen? During installation or only after you
start the host app? I'm trying to iron out as many things as
possible. Also, there is an updated version available at the
URL above. Still working on it since it seems there is quite some
interest in this thing.

> i have a Avance AC97 Audio Onboard card.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does this card support 5.1 and
is it possibly set to 5.1 output? Currently the audio card/chip
needs to have exactly 2 ins and 2 outs or things will go wrong.
I'm about to change this, but that'll take a couple more days.

Best regards,

Michael Tippach

Michael Tippach

Dec 17, 2003, 8:42:46 PM12/17/03
Owing to the responses I received, I conclude:

1. There is quite a bit of interest in something like this
2. It does work for a number of people, it does not work for others

I have spent some more time on fixing/improving and am now able to
offer a new version (remember that this is freeware and all done in
my spare time when I should be doing other things, like... music?)

It's not a "Generic" ASIO driver any more. "Generic" is the word
that sounds a bit like "Generic" V*agr* and all the other wonderful
"Generic" things we are spamvertized with on a daily basis.

It's become a "Universal ASIO Driver", where you've gotta admit that
"Universal" sounds a lot more... Well, I've yet to see an "Universal"
p3n1s enl4rgement offer in my inbox.

Anyway, now there is support for more than two channel i/o, some
minor other things have been fixed as well. Still working on it,
though.

http://www.tippach.net/asio4all/

Best regards,

Michael Tippach

Con Tastsidis

Dec 25, 2003, 3:52:41 AM12/25/03
I downloaded and tried out this ASIO driver. Not much success with my
Soundblaster 128 PCI (using SX2). Even with all the settings set to max, I
couldn't get rid of the crackles, and even worse, a 3-5 sec delayed signal
coming after an awful garbled-sounding audio signal.

But on the guy's website was a link to another similar driver: ASIO2KS.
http://www.asio2ks.de/download.html
This one worked for me, although it's just a beta. The hassle with this one
is that you can't access the settings when the driver is in use (ie, when
running cubase) so you have to shut down cubase, change the driver's
settings from Windows Control Panel, then start up cubase and hear how it
sounds. Not as stable as the Steinberg ASIO multimedia driver that comes
with Cubase (Cubase shut down immediately on startup a couple of times) but
I got much lower latency using this one. Try this one out if you have a
cheap audio card.

"Michael Tippach" <mtip...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Michael Tippach

Dec 26, 2003, 1:59:59 PM12/26/03
"Con Tastsidis" <ic...@comcen.com.au> wrote in message news:<3fea...@nexus.comcen.com.au>...

> I downloaded and tried out this ASIO driver. Not much success with my
> Soundblaster 128 PCI (using SX2). Even with all the settings set to max, I
> couldn't get rid of the crackles, and even worse, a 3-5 sec delayed signal
> coming after an awful garbled-sounding audio signal.

Does this also happen if you _uncheck_ the direct DMA buffer
option in the control panel? The behavior you describe is
typical for sitiuations where this option is enabled but
the card does not support this.

Best regards,

Michael Tippach

George V

Dec 28, 2003, 7:11:08 PM12/28/03
Hi Michael and thanks for this driver.
I have to uncheck_ the direct DMA buffer, like you said, for my laptop's
onboard Yamaha card
to get it work, with a ninimum latency (without crackles) about 10 ms.
Although it is locked at 48Khz (must be the card's internal clock)
But it dosn't work on my usb card (maya Ex 5.1, 2in/6out)
Is it difficult for you to support usb ?

? "Michael Tippach" <mtip...@gmx.net> ?????? ??? ??????

Michael Tippach

Dec 30, 2003, 11:11:35 AM12/30/03
"George V" <x...@xxx.xx> wrote in message news:<bsnres$sbt$1...@usenet.otenet.gr>...

> Hi Michael and thanks for this driver.
> I have to uncheck_ the direct DMA buffer, like you said, for my laptop's
> onboard Yamaha card
> to get it work, with a ninimum latency (without crackles) about 10 ms.
> Although it is locked at 48Khz (must be the card's internal clock)
> But it dosn't work on my usb card (maya Ex 5.1, 2in/6out)
> Is it difficult for you to support usb ?

Hi George!

In fact, there is no reason why it generally should not work with USB.
USB audio usually is being handeled by a generic Windows internal driver
(usbaudio.sys) I'd rather suspect some oddity at the Kernel Streaming
end that I haven't covered yet in my set of oddity-workarounds ;-)

If you say 'it doesn't work', what exactly does that mean e.g.
device doesn't show up in the device list at all - Device does
show up, but when selected the host reports that the ASIO driver
could not be opened - Device can be opened but there is no clean
sound (if this is the case, how does it sound like?)

Thanks,

Michael Tippach

George V

Dec 30, 2003, 8:06:23 PM12/30/03
It is the first case:

device doesn't show up in the device list at all
The other driver at http://www.asio2ks.de
can see both: the onboard and usb soundcards
but your driver has lower latency (without crackles) i think.
At least for the onboard device.

Thanks for your answer.

? "Michael Tippach" <mtip...@gmx.net> ?????? ??? ??????

Michael Tippach

Dec 31, 2003, 2:56:17 PM12/31/03
"George V" <x...@xxx.xx> wrote in message news:<bst7ee$7le$1...@usenet.otenet.gr>...

> It is the first case:
> device doesn't show up in the device list at all

Well, that should be fairly easy to fix then. If you're interested
I can prepare a debug version in order to find out where exactly
the driver would erronously dump the USB interface. I have some
filtering code in the enumerator in order to avoid the Kernel Mixer
etc. showing up in the device list. Maybe this code is a little too
stringent.

Best regards.

Michael Tippach

Michael Tippach

Jan 4, 2004, 11:34:45 PM1/4/04
George V wrote:

> It is the first case:
> device doesn't show up in the device list at all
> > > Is it difficult for you to support usb ?

Before I start creating a debug version, I'd rather have you check
out the new version ( http://www.tippach.net/asio4all/ )

I did indeed find a bug that might explain why your USB audio
interface did not show up and this may (just _may_) be fixed by
now. Please tell me how it works!

Best regards,

Michael Tippach

George V

Jan 6, 2004, 2:09:12 PM1/6/04
Hi Michael,
I tried the latest 1.1 version but still the driver can't see the usb
soundcard.
If you have the debug version (or any news)
let me know.

? "Michael Tippach" <mtip...@gmx.net> ?????? ??? ??????

octopus

Jan 6, 2004, 6:00:33 PM1/6/04
Michael Tippach <mtip...@gmx.net> wrote in message news:<3FF8E965...@gmx.net>...

Does this ASIO driver also work for WindowsME?

... this would make me very happy... :-)

Markus

Michael Tippach

Jan 8, 2004, 10:38:49 AM1/8/04
octopus wrote:

> Does this ASIO driver also work for WindowsME?
>
> ... this would make me very happy... :-)
>
> Markus

To say that it absolutely does not work in WinME (or even Win98SE)
would be telling a lie as I have reports from people running it
sucessfully with either. But I haven't testet the driver under
these Windowses at all and it may as well crash your system, drink
all your beer, scare your cat, propose to your GF and make your
stocks plunge to absolutely worthless. Use at your won risk!

Best regards,

Michael Tippach

Michael Tippach

Jan 8, 2004, 2:46:03 PM1/8/04
George V wrote:

> Hi Michael,
> I tried the latest 1.1 version but still the driver can't see the usb
> soundcard.
> If you have the debug version (or any news)
> let me know.

Hi George,

It appears that USB devices do not leave their device interface names
in the registry (in which case currently the device is being dumped).
If this is all there is to it, this could be fixed easily. Please
contact me with an email address of yours that I can send some testing
stuff to.

Hoping to get this fixed soon.

Best regards,

Michael Tippach

George V

Jan 8, 2004, 6:59:39 PM1/8/04
You have right, because there is no need for any specific driver for the
most usb audio devices.
Support for ''usb audio'' is included in windows Xp
It is a generic ''USB audio'' driver, limited to 2 in-2 out MME/WDM type,
even if the soundcard has more
(than 2) physical in-outs.
contact me to this e-mail : apopsisDELETE TH...@asmacom.gr
(remove ''Delete this'')
Thanks.

? "Michael Tippach" <mtip...@gmx.net> ?????? ??? ??????

octopus

Jan 29, 2004, 5:19:58 PM1/29/04
Yesterday I tried to install your newest ASIO driver (v1.5) on my
Windows ME PC (for the Edirol UA1A USB interface).
In "Direct DMA bubber I/O mode" I did not get any sound output, so I
disabled that. In the other mode I was able to adjust the Buffers to
get a very low latency (I don't know the number - but I could not hear
a significant delay of the sound when pressing a button on the LM9):
Buffer Size 128 samples / KS buffers: 2.

In this setting I could hear sound output when playing a .wav in
Cubase and also when playing a VST instrument as the LM9.

But when I tried to record, the input meters showed nothing and the
recorded track was empty. When I switched back to the other driver it
worked again, so I don't think that it's due to a wrong setting in my
mixer or so....

I was so happy hearing the low latency - but now I'm a bit frustrated
that I am not able to record. Do you have an idea what may have caused
this?

thanks for your work!
Markus

Michael Tippach

Jan 30, 2004, 11:29:39 PM1/30/04
octopus wrote:
> I was so happy hearing the low latency - but now I'm a bit frustrated
> that I am not able to record. Do you have an idea what may have caused
> this?

There is a bug in V 1.5 that may be blamed for the phenomenon that
there is no input available for some USB devices. Please email me
privately with an address that I can send a 1.6 pre-release to which
has this fixed.

Best regards,

Michael Tippach

octopus

Feb 10, 2004, 2:06:00 PM2/10/04
Michael Tippach <mtip...@gmx.net> wrote in message news:<401B2F33...@gmx.net>...

It works!!!! Great!! Thanks so much!!!!
I have now downloaded version 1.6.
At first, the ASIO driver was not found by Cubasis ("ASIO driver not
found error"). But when I checked the FAQ at your webpage
http://www.tippach.net/asio4all/ I read about a possible problem when
the "Microsoft GS Software Wavetable Synth" is enabled. So today I
disabled that one and now the ASIO driver works for me. I get a very
low latency!!

This is a huge recommendation to everybody. Don't be confused that the
webpage mentions: "only for Windows XP". It runs fine for me on
Windows ME with my cheap Edirol UA-1A USB audio interface.

Big thanks to Michael!

Markus