Picard vs. Kirk

his...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu

Jan 24, 1994, 12:04:39 PM1/24/94
On public demand, here are 19 reasons why Picard is better than Kirk:
19. Picard's Chief Engineer does not get drunk. He also does not exaggerate
repair time.
18. Kirk never used ESS - Emergency Sauser Separation.
17. Kirk never had to "fight" the holodeck; Picard did -- and always won.
16. Picard's transporter does not malfunction quite so often as Kirk's.
15. Kirk was court-marshalled (in ST IV). Picard never was.
14. Picard manages to win without getting his shirt torn and his face --
bloody.
13. Picard drinks Earl Grey and not illegal Romulan Ale.
12. Picard does not have to beam down -- he plans the mission and lets #1
do the job.
11. Picard has women chase him for 7 seasons (Lwaxana Troi). Kirk's
relationships never last longer than one episode.
10. Picard had family -- on Kataan. Kirk ran away from his -- just not ready
to accept responsibility.

9. Picard has some kind of a night garment. Kirk sleeps in his uniform.
8. Picard does not complain that he is too old -- though he is older than
Kirk. Kirk does -- in ST II.
7. Picard's crew trusts him implicitly. Kirk is always doubted by McCoy
and Scotty.
6. Kirk almost provoked an interstellar war ("Enterprise Incident"). Picard
prevented one ("The Pegasus").
5. When Picard retires, he'll become the Commandant of Starfleet Academy.
Kirk was "removed" by being given a useless chair in a bureaucratic
office.
4. Picard never surrendered. Kirk did it twice -- in ST III and ST VI.
3. Picard's first command was one of the newest starships in the fleet
(The Stargazer). Kirk's first command was 11 year old cruiser
(according to Spock in "Menagerie").
2. Picard's latest ship is the best in the fleet. Kirk's latest command --
Enterprise-A was inferior even to Sulu's Excelsior.
1. Picard has an intelligent hobby -- archaeology. He also plays the flute.
Kirk --> ?
And the main reason why Picard is better than Kirk:

Kirk is nothing without Spock; Picard needs Riker only for sending him
in charge of Away Team.

Chung, Peter W.

Jan 24, 1994, 3:44:00 PM1/24/94
Well, just to set it straight :)

In article <1994Jan24.1...@news.cs.brandeis.edu>, his...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu writes...

>On public demand, here are 19 reasons why Picard is better than Kirk:
>19. Picard's Chief Engineer does not get drunk. He also does not exaggerate
> repair time.

But which one CAN break the laws of physics? Scotty.

>18. Kirk never used ESS - Emergency Sauser Separation.

Kirk didn't have a boatload of civilians aboard.

>17. Kirk never had to "fight" the holodeck; Picard did -- and always won.
>16. Picard's transporter does not malfunction quite so often as Kirk's.
>15. Kirk was court-marshalled (in ST IV). Picard never was.

Not so. Kirk was court-martialled (or at least a formal hearing) in
TOS "Courtmartial" and also in ST:IV "The Voyage Home".
Picard was court-martialled for the loss of the Stargazer.

>14. Picard manages to win without getting his shirt torn and his face --
> bloody.
>13. Picard drinks Earl Grey and not illegal Romulan Ale.
>12. Picard does not have to beam down -- he plans the mission and lets #1
> do the job.
>11. Picard has women chase him for 7 seasons (Lwaxana Troi). Kirk's
> relationships never last longer than one episode.

Of course Kirk had a lot more relationships... A lot more...

>10. Picard had family -- on Kataan. Kirk ran away from his -- just not ready
> to accept responsibility.>

Kirk had one son who he did not know about until ST:II. He was killed of
in ST:III. Do movies count?

>9. Picard has some kind of a night garment. Kirk sleeps in his uniform.
>8. Picard does not complain that he is too old -- though he is older than
> Kirk. Kirk does -- in ST II.

Mid-life crisis.

>7. Picard's crew trusts him implicitly. Kirk is always doubted by McCoy
> and Scotty.

Blind-faith is just as bad.

>6. Kirk almost provoked an interstellar war ("Enterprise Incident"). Picard
> prevented one ("The Pegasus").

Kirk stole a cloaking device in "Enterprise Incident." Was the advance
guard in "Errand of Mercy", and then almost provoked an interstellar war
in ST:VI "The Undiscovered Country." Oh and don't forget how many times
Kirk has bent the Prime Directive...
On the other hand, Kirk has prevented interstellar war in "Balance of Terror",
ST:VI "The Undiscovered Country" and stopped at least two interplanetary wars
"Patterns of Force" and "A Taste of Armeggedon".

Don't remember Picard's record tho...

>5. When Picard retires, he'll become the Commandant of Starfleet Academy.
> Kirk was "removed" by being given a useless chair in a bureaucratic
> office.

Kirk was the Commandant of Starfleet Academy. Picard turned down
the Academy (I think).

>4. Picard never surrendered. Kirk did it twice -- in ST III and ST VI.

Kirk surrendered in ST:II, ST:III, ST:VI and in "Enterprise Incident".
Picard has surrendered in "EAF" (if I remember correctly) and in the
episode where everyone has had a time lapse due to a bad first encounter.
There may be more, but in alternate time-lines :)

>3. Picard's first command was one of the newest starships in the fleet
> (The Stargazer). Kirk's first command was 11 year old cruiser
> (according to Spock in "Menagerie").

The Constellation-class starship had been around for nearly seventy-years
(see USS Hathaway). The Stargazer could hardly be called "new".
The Constitution-class starship during Kirk's time was the biggest and
baddest third only to the dreadnaughts (ST:I) and the Excelsior-class (ST:III)

>2. Picard's latest ship is the best in the fleet. Kirk's latest command --
> Enterprise-A was inferior even to Sulu's Excelsior.

That's true. But did Kirk want the Excelsior?

>1. Picard has an intelligent hobby -- archaeology. He also plays the flute.
> Kirk --> ?

Skirt chasing of course!

>And the main reason why Picard is better than Kirk:
>
> Kirk is nothing without Spock; Picard needs Riker only for sending him
> in charge of Away Team.

Kirk is nothing without Spock and McCoy. They are a team and that's why
their sum is greater than the parts.

csc_gs...@emuvax.emich.edu

Jan 24, 1994, 7:36:06 PM1/24/94
In article <1994Jan24.1...@news.cs.brandeis.edu>, his...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu writes:
> On public demand, here are 19 reasons why Picard is better than Kirk:
> 19. Picard's Chief Engineer does not get drunk. He also does not exaggerate
> repair time.
: Scotty was a real MAN. At least he knew how to get down and have
: a "good time". Geordi uses the holodeck.

> 18. Kirk never used ESS - Emergency Sauser Separation.
: Kirk was above such things.

> 17. Kirk never had to "fight" the holodeck; Picard did -- and always won.
: And what glory in winning a fight on the holodeck ? Doesn't
: look too good on one's resume. "Won fight on holodeck on stardate
: 2456.78" Kirk made his own news and did not need the holodeck.

> 16. Picard's transporter does not malfunction quite so often as Kirk's.
: And when it did malfunction, Kirk could fast talk himself out
: of the situation. Would Picard be so fast on his feet?

> 15. Kirk was court-marshalled (in ST IV). Picard never was.
: Kirk got out the other side without a permanent stain on his
: record. If Picard didn't do anything bad enough yet to get court
: martialed for, then he hasn't been adventourous enough or taken
: enough chances.

> 14. Picard manages to win without getting his shirt torn and his face --
> bloody.
: A real captain doesn't spend time to talk over the issue. Sometimes
: a physical fight is the best way to discuss the point, witness the
: fight with his fellow cadet in the "ShoreLeave" episode on TOS.

> 13. Picard drinks Earl Grey and not illegal Romulan Ale.
: Kirk wouldn't be caught DEAD with Earl Grey tea on the ship let alone
: in his drinking mug.

> 12. Picard does not have to beam down -- he plans the mission and lets #1
> do the job.
: Let the others do your dirty work? No thank you. The Captain gets
: all the fun. ( to his credit though, I can see why Riker does not
: want his own command. He would probably have to give up the fun
: stuff like he does now. Unless he is a real man like Kirk and goes
: on his own away missions. If he is like Picard, then there is no
: hope for him. There, now, is an interesting topic for discussion or
: further writing. If, and when, Riker gets his own captains seat, would
: he be a "Kirk" style captain, or would he be a "Picard" style captain?
: I would tend to think he would be another James Kirk type. )

> 11. Picard has women chase him for 7 seasons (Lwaxana Troi). Kirk's
> relationships never last longer than one episode.
: No honor in having Lwanana Troi after you at all. Just ask Odo.

> 10. Picard had family -- on Kataan. Kirk ran away from his -- just not ready
> to accept responsibility.
: Nothing wrong in getting out to see the world. They both did the same
: thing, you see. Just in a different way.

> 9. Picard has some kind of a night garment. Kirk sleeps in his uniform.
: All the better to defend the honor of his fellow comrades. Can you
: imagine how much time it would take to put on the uniform? Kirk is
: all ready to go to battle.

> 8. Picard does not complain that he is too old -- though he is older than
> Kirk. Kirk does -- in ST II.
: We all grow old and are given to an occasional complaint from time to
: time. Picard does not have to complain about being old because he
: doesn't get enough chance to see any of the excitement to grow old
: with and on.

> 7. Picard's crew trusts him implicitly. Kirk is always doubted by McCoy
> and Scotty.
: Sure they trust him implicitly. He has never taken any big chances so
: they have no reason not to trust him.

> 6. Kirk almost provoked an interstellar war ("Enterprise Incident"). Picard
> prevented one ("The Pegasus").
: And also gave up the use of the new cloaking device weapon. Treaty of
: Algernon would have been vaporized by Kirk.

> 5. When Picard retires, he'll become the Commandant of Starfleet Academy.
> Kirk was "removed" by being given a useless chair in a bureaucratic
> office.
: Whether or not Picard gets such a posting remains to be seen. . . . .

> 4. Picard never surrendered. Kirk did it twice -- in ST III and ST VI.
: Surrender was only a means towards an ultimately victorious end. It
: WAS NOT surrender as an end result.

> 3. Picard's first command was one of the newest starships in the fleet
> (The Stargazer). Kirk's first command was 11 year old cruiser
> (according to Spock in "Menagerie").
: You take what is available at the moment. Ask anyone who doesn't like
: their PCS orders in the military. But to those who are qualified, the
: good positions come their way when they are open for the taking.

> 2. Picard's latest ship is the best in the fleet. Kirk's latest command --
> Enterprise-A was inferior even to Sulu's Excelsior.
: Ship did not matter, as the ends were more important. He took down
: the Klingon with him. More important to Kirk was the mission rather
: then the cosmetic details of the ship.

> 1. Picard has an intelligent hobby -- archaeology. He also plays the flute.
> Kirk --> ?
: Real men don't play a flute.

> And the main reason why Picard is better than Kirk:
>
> Kirk is nothing without Spock; Picard needs Riker only for sending him
> in charge of Away Team.
: To the contrary, you have it all mixed up. Anyone could run Picard's
: away team, it doesn't have to be Riker. And that illustrates the
: point. Picard needs everyone and can not run a thing on his own.
: Kirk on the otherhand, had at least one episode where he was on his
: own on the ship and did just fine. And also, I would tend to say that
: as long as you bring up the point of who needs who more, that Spock
: was more in need of Kirk than the other way around. One word -----
: "Amok Time".

: Julie csc_gs...@emuvax.emich.edu

ADT...@psuvm.psu.edu

Jan 24, 1994, 7:00:52 PM1/24/94
BTW, If it's still posted, there's a Picard over Kirk under Re:What
about Picard vs. Kirk for ADT105 (Me! :).

Anyway, here we go.
Nice List! But ... ?
17) Kirk never fought the holodeck. Picard did - and always won.
Kirk never wasted his time "playing" with "toys" on the Enterprise,
but if he had to ... once, an it would be gone forever.
(Remember: Kirk + Evil Machine -------> BOOM! + Kirk ;)
13) Picard drinks Earl Grey and not illegal Romulan ale
This is good??? :) IMHO, Picard's not much of a "diplomat" if he
tries to serve visiting Klingon dignitaries tea instead of the good stuff
- Kirk knew what he was doing in STVI.
12) Picard does not beam down ...
Wimp ;)
11) Picard has women chase him for 7 seasons ...
Correction: Picard RAN from Luxwana for 7 seasons ... then again,
Kirk never had a Vash (or Bev Crusher??!?!?!)
9)Picard slept in night garment. Kirk ...
Like Kirk slept. More likely, every night he slept WITH ... :)
1)Picard's hobby ----- archaeology & flute. Kirk ------- ?????
Duh, mountain climbing, camping, teaching Spock old children's songs.
(All prominently in STV - probably the only good parts, IMHO)
For that matter, in ST:TOS he keeps beating Spock at 3-D chess.
Main Reason: Kirk needs Spock, Picard only needs Riker for Away Teams
Actually, Spock needed Kirk more (STII & STIII ;)
See 12) for second half of phrase.

All in all, a great list.
I only reply because, like a great man once said, "It is there"
(Kirk in STV ;)

BTW, Read my Picard over Kirk list too!

Aaron (Shatner vs. Stewart: To Be Settled On SNL, Feb. 3) Thomas

r.g.coleman

Jan 25, 1994, 11:53:20 AM1/25/94
|> On public demand, here are 19 reasons why Picard is better than Kirk:
|> 19. Picard's Chief Engineer does not get drunk. He also does not exaggerate
|> repair time.

Nothing to do with Picard

|> 18. Kirk never used ESS - Emergency Sauser Separation.

possibly to do with the fact that it couldn't separate

|> 17. Kirk never had to "fight" the holodeck; Picard did -- and always won.

Holodecks had not been invented then

|> 16. Picard's transporter does not malfunction quite so often as Kirk's.

Nothing to do with the Captain's abilities

|> 15. Kirk was court-marshalled (in ST IV). Picard never was.

No, but he destroyed the fleet (Best of both worlds)

|> 14. Picard manages to win without getting his shirt torn and his face --
|> bloody.

Picard stays on the ship, Kirk went on every away team

|> 13. Picard drinks Earl Grey and not illegal Romulan Ale.

Wuss

|> 12. Picard does not have to beam down -- he plans the mission and lets #1
|> do the job.

He very rarely "plans the mission" as it usually unexpected

|> 11. Picard has women chase him for 7 seasons (Lwaxana Troi). Kirk's
|> relationships never last longer than one episode.

Wow, wouldn't you just love to have Lwaxana Troi cahasing you?

|> 10. Picard had family -- on Kataan. Kirk ran away from his -- just not ready
|> to accept responsibility.

Actually, his wife wanted nothing to do with the federation and left him,
taking their son with her

|> 9. Picard has some kind of a night garment. Kirk sleeps in his uniform.

Oh, that makes him far superior

|> 8. Picard does not complain that he is too old -- though he is older than
|> Kirk. Kirk does -- in ST II.

William Shatner is in his sixties, Patrick Stewart is in his fifties

|> 7. Picard's crew trusts him implicitly. Kirk is always doubted by McCoy
|> and Scotty.

O.K I'll let this one go

|> 6. Kirk almost provoked an interstellar war ("Enterprise Incident"). Picard
|> prevented one ("The Pegasus").

No, but as I said, He did destroy the fleet

|> 5. When Picard retires, he'll become the Commandant of Starfleet Academy.
|> Kirk was "removed" by being given a useless chair in a bureaucratic
|> office.

What gives you that idea?

|> 4. Picard never surrendered. Kirk did it twice -- in ST III and ST VI.

Kirk surrendered once while under battle, and even then managed to capture
the enemy vesseland escape while still achieving his goal. The other time
he surrendered was not as a result of being overpowered, but to prevent a battle
so that peace could be achieved.

Picard, on the other hand, surrendered to Q in the first episode, and the E was
surrendered to the Ferrengi later on

|> 3. Picard's first command was one of the newest starships in the fleet
|> (The Stargazer). Kirk's first command was 11 year old cruiser
|> (according to Spock in "Menagerie").

Oh, I was unaware of this. Oh well, I'll let this one go as well

|> 2. Picard's latest ship is the best in the fleet. Kirk's latest command --
|> Enterprise-A was inferior even to Sulu's Excelsior.

The NCC-1701a was a replica of the NCC-1701 -at the time, the best ship in the
fleet

|> 1. Picard has an intelligent hobby -- archaeology. He also plays the flute.
|> Kirk --> ?

Mountaineering, much more breathtaking(in my opinion) than archeology, although
he did have an extensive collection of antiques as well.

|> And the main reason why Picard is better than Kirk:
|>
|> Kirk is nothing without Spock; Picard needs Riker only for sending him
|> in charge of Away Team.

The away team- only the most important part of most missions, which Kirk
himself headed

I do prefer TNG to TOS, which is an opinion, but I cannot say which one is
"better".

Richard

sken...@charlie.usd.edu

Jan 25, 1994, 11:50:26 AM1/25/94
In article <1994Jan24....@emuvax.emich.edu>, csc_gs...@emuvax.emich.edu writes:
>In article <1994Jan24.1...@news.cs.brandeis.edu>, his...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu writes:
>> On public demand, here are 19 reasons why Picard is better than Kirk:
>> 19. Picard's Chief Engineer does not get drunk. He also does not exaggerate
>> repair time.
> : Scotty was a real MAN. At least he knew how to get down and have
> : a "good time". Geordi uses the holodeck.

Oh barf. When are you people going to grow up? REAL MEN DON'T
NEED TO GET DRUNK TO HAVE A GOOD TIME! Besides, Scotty always
had more fun playing with his engines than anything else.

>> 18. Kirk never used ESS - Emergency Sauser Separation.
> : Kirk was above such things.

How could he be "above" something he didn't have?

>> 17. Kirk never had to "fight" the holodeck; Picard did -- and always won.
> : And what glory in winning a fight on the holodeck ? Doesn't
> : look too good on one's resume. "Won fight on holodeck on stardate
> : 2456.78" Kirk made his own news and did not need the holodeck.

Yeah, right. You really think Kirk would have destroyed *anything*
that was part of the Enterprise? I don't think so...

>> 16. Picard's transporter does not malfunction quite so often as Kirk's.
> : And when it did malfunction, Kirk could fast talk himself out
> : of the situation. Would Picard be so fast on his feet?

I don't know. Has he ever had to?

>> 15. Kirk was court-marshalled (in ST IV). Picard never was.
> : Kirk got out the other side without a permanent stain on his
> : record. If Picard didn't do anything bad enough yet to get court
> : martialed for, then he hasn't been adventourous enough or taken
> : enough chances.
>> 14. Picard manages to win without getting his shirt torn and his face --
>> bloody.
> : A real captain doesn't spend time to talk over the issue. Sometimes
> : a physical fight is the best way to discuss the point, witness the
> : fight with his fellow cadet in the "ShoreLeave" episode on TOS.

Now you're talking about an artificial situation. "Shoreleave"
was a planet that created situations based on what you were
thinking about. Fighting should ALWAYS be the last resort,
NOT the first.

>> 13. Picard drinks Earl Grey and not illegal Romulan Ale.
> : Kirk wouldn't be caught DEAD with Earl Grey tea on the ship let alone
> : in his drinking mug.

Kirk would have made a lousy diplomat, then. Alcohol suppresses
the rational part of the brain. I'm sure Picard knows that.

>> 12. Picard does not have to beam down -- he plans the mission and lets #1
>> do the job.
> : Let the others do your dirty work? No thank you. The Captain gets
> : all the fun. ( to his credit though, I can see why Riker does not
> : want his own command. He would probably have to give up the fun
> : stuff like he does now. Unless he is a real man like Kirk and goes
> : on his own away missions. If he is like Picard, then there is no
> : hope for him. There, now, is an interesting topic for discussion or
> : further writing. If, and when, Riker gets his own captains seat, would
> : he be a "Kirk" style captain, or would he be a "Picard" style captain?
> : I would tend to think he would be another James Kirk type. )

And I think he would be a Riker type captain. Real men don't have to
be as aggressive as Kirk was. Not being a "Kirk" type captain
doesn't make Picard any less a man.

>> 11. Picard has women chase him for 7 seasons (Lwaxana Troi). Kirk's
>> relationships never last longer than one episode.

> : No honor in having Lwanana Troi after you at all. Ask Odo.
No honor in one night stands, either.

>> 10. Picard had family -- on Kataan. Kirk ran away from his -- just not ready
>> to accept responsibility.
> : Nothing wrong in getting out to see the world. They both did the same
> : thing, you see. Just in a different way.

Actually, Kirk didn't know he even had a son until STII (I think).

>> 9. Picard has some kind of a night garment. Kirk sleeps in his uniform.
> : All the better to defend the honor of his fellow comrades. Can you
> : imagine how much time it would take to put on the uniform? Kirk is
> : all ready to go to battle.

Picard usually doesn't *have* to go into battle. Which is the whole
point, isn't it?

>> 8. Picard does not complain that he is too old -- though he is older than
>> Kirk. Kirk does -- in ST II.
> : We all grow old and are given to an occasional complaint from time to
> : time. Picard does not have to complain about being old because he
> : doesn't get enough chance to see any of the excitement to grow old
> : with and on.
>> 7. Picard's crew trusts him implicitly. Kirk is always doubted by McCoy
>> and Scotty.
> : Sure they trust him implicitly. He has never taken any big chances so
> : they have no reason not to trust him.

You obviously never saw the episode where he died and Q sent
him back to change the past.

>> 6. Kirk almost provoked an interstellar war ("Enterprise Incident"). Picard
>> prevented one ("The Pegasus").
> : And also gave up the use of the new cloaking device weapon. Treaty of
> : Algernon would have been vaporized by Kirk.

That's a defense? What's so great about destroying peace? And
in case you have forgotten, that was *supposed* to be what
Kirk wanted, too.

>> 5. When Picard retires, he'll become the Commandant of Starfleet Academy.
>> Kirk was "removed" by being given a useless chair in a bureaucratic
>> office.
> : Whether or not Picard gets such a posting remains to be seen. . . . .

You missed the boat on this one. Kirk *was* Commandant of Starfleet
Academy.

>> 4. Picard never surrendered. Kirk did it twice -- in ST III and ST VI.
> : Surrender was only a means towards an ultimately victorious end. It
> : WAS NOT surrender as an end result.

Kirk's goal, like Picard's, was survival, preferably of the ship
as well as his people.

> That doesn't prove anything. Never having a chance to do
something doesn't mean you can't do it. I've never flown
an airplane, but I know I could learn how.

>: Julie csc_gs...@emuvax.emich.edu

Susan

Carlos Myers

Jan 25, 1994, 10:19:05 AM1/25/94
> In article <1994Jan24.1...@news.cs.brandeis.edu>, his...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu writes:
>> On public demand, here are 19 reasons why Picard is better than Kirk:

Make that 20. =)

>> 19. Picard's Chief Engineer does not get drunk. He also does not exaggerate
>> repair time.
> : Scotty was a real MAN. At least he knew how to get down and have
> : a "good time". Geordi uses the holodeck.

TNG as better opertunities(sp?) for recreation than TOS. And what about Ten
Forward? Plus Gordie is not an alcohalic

>> 18. Kirk never used ESS - Emergency Sauser Separation.
> : Kirk was above such things.

NCC-1701 nor NCC-1701-A never could do an Emergency Sauser Separation.

>> 17. Kirk never had to "fight" the holodeck; Picard did -- and always won.
> : And what glory in winning a fight on the holodeck ? Doesn't
> : look too good on one's resume. "Won fight on holodeck on stardate
> : 2456.78" Kirk made his own news and did not need the holodeck.

I Think Kirk would have enjoyed the holodeck if he had one.

>> 16. Picard's transporter does not malfunction quite so often as Kirk's.
> : And when it did malfunction, Kirk could fast talk himself out
> : of the situation. Would Picard be so fast on his feet?

Better Chief Engineer???????

>> 15. Kirk was court-marshalled (in ST IV). Picard never was.
> : Kirk got out the other side without a permanent stain on his
> : record. If Picard didn't do anything bad enough yet to get court
> : martialed for, then he hasn't been adventourous enough or taken
> : enough chances.

Picard did get court-marshalled. But it was standerd prosedures when a ship is
abandoned.

>> 14. Picard manages to win without getting his shirt torn and his face --
>> bloody.
> : A real captain doesn't spend time to talk over the issue. Sometimes
> : a physical fight is the best way to discuss the point, witness the
> : fight with his fellow cadet in the "ShoreLeave" episode on TOS.

Picard didn't have to fight. He just outsmarted his aponets

>> 13. Picard drinks Earl Grey and not illegal Romulan Ale.
> : Kirk wouldn't be caught DEAD with Earl Grey tea on the ship let alone
> : in his drinking mug.

I nerve seen Picard shigh away from alcohal. Plus Kirk never shigh away from
something new.

>> 12. Picard does not have to beam down -- he plans the mission and lets #1
>> do the job.
> : Let the others do your dirty work? No thank you. The Captain gets
> : all the fun. ( to his credit though, I can see why Riker does not
> : want his own command. He would probably have to give up the fun
> : stuff like he does now. Unless he is a real man like Kirk and goes
> : on his own away missions. If he is like Picard, then there is no
> : hope for him. There, now, is an interesting topic for discussion or
> : further writing. If, and when, Riker gets his own captains seat, would
> : he be a "Kirk" style captain, or would he be a "Picard" style captain?
> : I would tend to think he would be another James Kirk type. )

Picard doesn't beam down because Riker won't let him. It is Riker's opintion
that the safty of the caption is of the upmost important.

>> 11. Picard has women chase him for 7 seasons (Lwaxana Troi). Kirk's
>> relationships never last longer than one episode.
> : No honor in having Lwanana Troi after you at all. Just ask Odo.

Picard has his fair share of relationships. But he is above "sowing his wild
oats".

>> 10. Picard had family -- on Kataan. Kirk ran away from his -- just not ready
>> to accept responsibility.
> : Nothing wrong in getting out to see the world. They both did the same
> : thing, you see. Just in a different way.
>>
>> 9. Picard has some kind of a night garment. Kirk sleeps in his uniform.
> : All the better to defend the honor of his fellow comrades. Can you
> : imagine how much time it would take to put on the uniform? Kirk is
> : all ready to go to battle.

I like the TNG uniform better than TOS. The only execption are the ones during
the first few season.

>> 8. Picard does not complain that he is too old -- though he is older than
>> Kirk. Kirk does -- in ST II.
> : We all grow old and are given to an occasional complaint from time to
> : time. Picard does not have to complain about being old because he
> : doesn't get enough chance to see any of the excitement to grow old
> : with and on.

Picard relies on his mind more than his body. The body growes weaker at old
age, but the mind can improve.

>> 7. Picard's crew trusts him implicitly. Kirk is always doubted by McCoy
>> and Scotty.
> : Sure they trust him implicitly. He has never taken any big chances so
> : they have no reason not to trust him.

Trust is the most important part in a chain of command.

>> 6. Kirk almost provoked an interstellar war ("Enterprise Incident"). Picard
>> prevented one ("The Pegasus").
> : And also gave up the use of the new cloaking device weapon. Treaty of
> : Algernon would have been vaporized by Kirk.

Kirk wouldn't be so bold. Even Kirk knows the importance of a treaty.

>> 5. When Picard retires, he'll become the Commandant of Starfleet Academy.
>> Kirk was "removed" by being given a useless chair in a bureaucratic
>> office.
> : Whether or not Picard gets such a posting remains to be seen. . . . .

Picard was offered Commandant of SA once to my knowlege. Put he could be
offered it agian.

>> 4. Picard never surrendered. Kirk did it twice -- in ST III and ST VI.
> : Surrender was only a means towards an ultimately victorious end. It
> : WAS NOT surrender as an end result.

Picard never put himself in a situation to where he had to surrender.

>> 3. Picard's first command was one of the newest starships in the fleet
>> (The Stargazer). Kirk's first command was 11 year old cruiser
>> (according to Spock in "Menagerie").
> : You take what is available at the moment. Ask anyone who doesn't like
> : their PCS orders in the military. But to those who are qualified, the
> : good positions come their way when they are open for the taking.

If I remember correctly, Picard stated that the "Stargazer" was and under
powered over rated ship.

>> 2. Picard's latest ship is the best in the fleet. Kirk's latest command --
>> Enterprise-A was inferior even to Sulu's Excelsior.
> : Ship did not matter, as the ends were more important. He took down
> : the Klingon with him. More important to Kirk was the mission rather
> : then the cosmetic details of the ship.

And Kirk didn't save the Enterprise hardly any of the crew was on board??? Nor
did if fight so hard to regain comand of the Enterprise in ST:TMP? Also the
primary missions of both ships are completly differnt (dispite what the
introduction says). NCC-1701 was a war ship, NCC-1701-D is primarly a genaral
purpuse exploration and research ship.

>> 1. Picard has an intelligent hobby -- archaeology. He also plays the flute.
>> Kirk --> ?
> : Real men don't play a flute.

Kirk problably didn't have the talent.

>> And the main reason why Picard is better than Kirk:
>>
>> Kirk is nothing without Spock; Picard needs Riker only for sending him
>> in charge of Away Team.
> : To the contrary, you have it all mixed up. Anyone could run Picard's
> : away team, it doesn't have to be Riker. And that illustrates the
> : point. Picard needs everyone and can not run a thing on his own.
> : Kirk on the otherhand, had at least one episode where he was on his
> : own on the ship and did just fine. And also, I would tend to say that
> : as long as you bring up the point of who needs who more, that Spock
> : was more in need of Kirk than the other way around. One word -----
> : "Amok Time".

Here is the unnumbered reason. But Picard is not helpless by himself. He
recisted Cardason torture. Penatrated Romulen defences along with Data.
Penatrated a mercenary ship and gave Riker the order (Riker didn't offer any
subjestions, just information).

> : Julie csc_gs...@emuvax.emich.edu

Ok, before I get myself into more trouble. I already know my spelling is bad.
But so are most people I have ran into. But if you don't try, you never learn.

Bad Spellers Speak Out!!!!

Carlos

Richard May

Jan 26, 1994, 4:40:05 AM1/26/94

>|> 18. Kirk never used ESS - Emergency Sauser Separation.

>possibly to do with the fact that it couldn't separate

Not true, according to the technical manuals the old Enterprise could
separate, unfortunatly it would not go together again!

>|> 15. Kirk was court-marshalled (in ST IV). Picard never was.

>No, but he destroyed the fleet (Best of both worlds)

Picard did not, Locutus did. It is vital that these two totally distict
characters are not confused. It is the brain that defines who a person is, and
locutus was being controlled by the borg collective, not Picards brain.

We should also remember that it was Picard's sucessful attempt to break the
hold of the Borg on him to get the 'Sleep' message through that let to the
defeat of the Borg's attempt.

>|> 13. Picard drinks Earl Grey and not illegal Romulan Ale.

>Wuss

What kind of a reply is that?

>|> 2. Picard's latest ship is the best in the fleet. Kirk's latest command --
>|> Enterprise-A was inferior even to Sulu's Excelsior.

>The NCC-1701a was a replica of the NCC-1701 -at the time, the best ship in the
>fleet

Come off it, Excelsior was newer and clearly superior. Afterall it was copied
to make Enterprise B.

And finally,

In Star Trek VI, Kirk is a different man and in many ways he behaves in a
manner that is more like Picard's behaviour. Therefore we can assume that as
Kirk gets older and wiser he learns the better way to behave. Picrad simply
learned this sooner.

Richard P. May BSc. (Hons), Postgraduate Student

Home Address | Term-Time Address | Email
| |
53 Rowan Avenue, | 12 The Columbine, | r...@sys.uea.ac.uk
Eastbourne, | Chapel Break, |
E. Sussex, | Bowthorpe, |
BN22 0RX. | Norwich, |
| NR5 9NP. |
| |

John-William DeClaris

Jan 26, 1994, 11:28:58 AM1/26/94
In article <2i3iq0$4...@loch2.cc.strath.ac.uk> cad...@ccsun.strath.ac.uk (
"r.g.coleman") writes:
# In article <1994Jan24.1...@news.cs.brandeis.edu>,
his...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu writes:
# |> On public demand, here are 19 reasons why Picard is better than Kirk:
# |> 7. Picard's crew trusts him implicitly. Kirk is always doubted by McCoy
# |> and Scotty.
#
# O.K I'll let this one go
#

I won't let this go. Only once did McCoy and Scooty not trust Kirk's actions
and that was during "The Enterprise Incident", when Kirk and Spock were under
Top Secret Orders to enter the Romulan Neutral Zone and steel a cloaking
device. The other time McCoy, Scotty and Spock distrusted Kirk's actions was
when he was not even himself, but had been replaced by some jealous psychotic
woman. That seems like two incidents out of all the episodes, not bad.
Picard's crew has distrusted Picard the same number of times, unfortunately, I
do not remember the reasons. :-(

--
John-William DeClaris
All comments made by me are mine and not reflective of RUSH

John-William DeClaris

Jan 26, 1994, 11:35:34 AM1/26/94
In article <rpm.4.0...@sys.uea.ac.uk> r...@sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard May)
writes:
# And finally,
#
# In Star Trek VI, Kirk is a different man and in many ways he behaves in a
# manner that is more like Picard's behaviour. Therefore we can assume that as
# Kirk gets older and wiser he learns the better way to behave. Picrad simply
# learned this sooner.
#
#
# Richard P. May BSc. (Hons), Postgraduate Student

Richard, you must have seen a different Star Trek VI than I did. In the movie
I saw, Kirk served Romulan ale at the dinner table. He made out with Iman. He
kick some alian in the genitals. He publicly called the Klingons animals and
said, "Let them die!". Finally, he violated orders and took his ship to
Khitamar to save the President of UFP. I would like very much to see the Star
Trek VI you saw, maybe it will be equally exciting.

Thomas Gade

Jan 25, 1994, 1:28:02 PM1/25/94
his...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu writes:

>On public demand, here are 19 reasons why Picard is better than Kirk:
>19. Picard's Chief Engineer does not get drunk. He also does not exaggerate
> repair time.
>18. Kirk never used ESS - Emergency Sauser Separation.
>17. Kirk never had to "fight" the holodeck; Picard did -- and always won.

>15. Kirk was court-marshalled (in ST IV). Picard never was.
>14. Picard manages to win without getting his shirt torn and his face --
> bloody.
>13. Picard drinks Earl Grey and not illegal Romulan Ale.
>12. Picard does not have to beam down -- he plans the mission and lets #1
> do the job.
>11. Picard has women chase him for 7 seasons (Lwaxana Troi). Kirk's
> relationships never last longer than one episode.

>9. Picard has some kind of a night garment. Kirk sleeps in his uniform.
>8. Picard does not complain that he is too old -- though he is older than
> Kirk. Kirk does -- in ST II.
>7. Picard's crew trusts him implicitly. Kirk is always doubted by McCoy
> and Scotty.
>6. Kirk almost provoked an interstellar war ("Enterprise Incident"). Picard
> prevented one ("The Pegasus").

>4. Picard never surrendered. Kirk did it twice -- in ST III and ST VI.

It seems to me like these could be reasons why Kirk is BETTER than
Picard.

--
Tom Gade | ga...@unvax.union.edu
Undergraduate Student | Union College, Schenectady, NY 12308

Greg Banerian

Jan 26, 1994, 4:54:38 PM1/26/94
K _K_ick-ass P _P_olitically correct _P_ussy
I killer _I_nstinct I _I_nsuffiently violent
R _R_omulan ass-kicker C _C_ommunist
K _K_iller instinct A _A_lways takes the wimpy way out
to _K_ick ass R _R_omulan ass-kisser
D _D_iplomatic weasel

IMO, Worf should've commanded the enterprise for TNG.

Greg Banerian
THE OPINIONS ABOVE ARE WHOLLY MY OWN AND THOSE OF ANY SANE, INTELLIGENT
PERSON, BUT ARE NOT NECESSARILY THOSE OF MY EMPLOYER,
NOR SHOULD THEY BE CONSTRUED AS SUCH.

Chung, Peter W.

Jan 27, 1994, 2:25:00 PM1/27/94
In article <rpm.7.0...@sys.uea.ac.uk>, r...@sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard May) writes...

[snip.]

>I take you point, but it was also the same ST VI in which Kirk surrendered to
>Kronos 1, when he was clearly at a strategic advantage over that ship. For the
>first time we see Kirk behaving more like a diplomat and considering the real
>possibility of making peace with the Klingons, which is a long way from the
>Kirk we are used too. I wonder what may have been acheived if he had taken
>such a stance earlier in his life.
>
>Richard May.

Don't know about that. Don't forget it *appeared* that Kirk fired first.
And it was a diplomatic rendezvous. He had no reason to fight.
Given the circumstances he *didn't* start the fight and definitely *didn't*
want to finish it. Even when Kirk was younger he probably would have
done something similar in the same situation. As far as earlier in life,
it would have been possible if there were other Klingons like the new
Klingon President(emporer).

Now if the Klingon fired first, then Kirk would have crippled the ship,
captured and then made peace in his patented Kirk-methology.

Daryl Hawken

Jan 26, 1994, 5:45:51 PM1/26/94
his...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu writes:

>On public demand, here are 19 reasons why Picard is better than Kirk:
>19. Picard's Chief Engineer does not get drunk. He also does not exaggerate
> repair time.
>18. Kirk never used ESS - Emergency Sauser Separation.
>17. Kirk never had to "fight" the holodeck; Picard did -- and always won.
>16. Picard's transporter does not malfunction quite so often as Kirk's.
>15. Kirk was court-marshalled (in ST IV). Picard never was.

I thought that Picard got court-martialled after the loss of the
Stargazer? (albeit standard procedure after the loss of a vessel)
--
Daryl Hawken _____..---======~~^~~=======---.._____
______________________ __,-='=====____ ================ _____=====`=

Richard May

Jan 27, 1994, 5:12:02 AM1/27/94
In article <1994Jan26.1...@rpslmc.edu> jdec...@is.rpslmc.edu (John-William DeClaris) writes:
>Newsgroups: alt.startrek.creative
>From: jdec...@is.rpslmc.edu (John-William DeClaris)
>Subject: Re: Picard vs. Kirk
>Sender: ne...@rpslmc.edu
>Date: Wed, 26 Jan 1994 16:35:34 GMT

I take you point, but it was also the same ST VI in which Kirk surrendered to

Kronos 1, when he was clearly at a strategic advantage over that ship. For the
first time we see Kirk behaving more like a diplomat and considering the real
possibility of making peace with the Klingons, which is a long way from the
Kirk we are used too. I wonder what may have been acheived if he had taken
such a stance earlier in his life.

Richard May.

Richard P. May BSc. (Hons), Postgraduate Student

Home Address | Term-Time Address | Email

Thomas Taylor

Jan 27, 1994, 9:16:14 AM1/27/94
In article <1994Jan25.1...@unvax.union.edu>, ga...@unvax.union.edu (Thomas Gade) writes:
|> his...@binah.cc.brandeis.edu writes:
|>
|> >On public demand, here are 19 reasons why Picard is better than Kirk:
|> >19. Picard's Chief Engineer does not get drunk. He also does not exaggerate
|> > repair time.
|> >18. Kirk never used ESS - Emergency Sauser Separation.
Kirk never needed to

|> >17. Kirk never had to "fight" the holodeck; Picard did -- and always won.

WOW fight the ships computer, can you say 'turn it off' I though you could

|> >15. Kirk was court-marshalled (in ST IV). Picard never was.

Picard should have been, along with every other bridge officer.

Lets see.

Beverly disobeys orders at will (i.e. beam up now! No I'm busy)
She was given direct orders to get the ship back to FED space when they
were encountering the rouge borgs, but NO, she sends a probe then
brings the ship back.
Geordi and data disobeyed direct orders and used that stupid virtual reality suit
Worf often refuse to answer direct questions wrt Klingons etc, plus he
resigned already
Riker is insubortinate to the max.
and picard, ah picard. Had the opportunity to destroy the BORG, a race which
the federation is at WAR with and he didn't do it (and lets face it
if the stupid writers maintain the BORG with thier absorb and adapt
methods, the feds, klings, roms, and anyone else has NO CHANCE against them,
of course that ever present genie, I mean Q, will proably step in
and save them, for no particaular reason, other then to bail out the writers.

|> >14. Picard manages to win without getting his shirt torn and his face --
|> > bloody.

Thats because evryone in Picards galaxy wants to have tea. And do you know
who made them that way...KIRK!

|> >13. Picard drinks Earl Grey and not illegal Romulan Ale.

Picard drinks some synthetic reproduction, Kirk drinks the real stuff

|> >12. Picard does not have to beam down -- he plans the mission and lets #1
|> > do the job.

Picard is , for a change, following orders. Kirk did not have any such stupid
restriction.

|> >11. Picard has women chase him for 7 seasons (Lwaxana Troi). Kirk's
|> > relationships never last longer than one episode.

Thats a SCARY thought. If Lwaxana chased KIRK I think he might have
run through the time gaurdian just to get away.

|> >9. Picard has some kind of a night garment. Kirk sleeps in his uniform.

Kirk never slept.

|> >8. Picard does not complain that he is too old -- though he is older than
|> > Kirk. Kirk does -- in ST II.

If you just sit in your easy chair, it doesn't matter how old you are.

|> >7. Picard's crew trusts him implicitly. Kirk is always doubted by McCoy
|> > and Scotty.

Picards crew is the dumbest in the galaxy. From week to week they forget what
they were able to do last week. Thier computers are always taking
over the ship, gee we forgot how to turn them off. Picard is a dweeb...Worf
reports two romulan ships decloaking and arming weapons, picard...gee I wonder
what they want, Romulans fire, or beam over, or do whatever they want. Just
maybe, do you think that the mighty enterpise computer could be programmed
to raise the shields when something decloaks right in front of you? Or would
that program take over the ship too?

|> >6. Kirk almost provoked an interstellar war ("Enterprise Incident"). Picard
|> > prevented one ("The Pegasus").

kirk provided the peace that the NG crew lives in.

|> >4. Picard never surrendered. Kirk did it twice -- in ST III and ST VI.

No but he has been disabled by Romulans (tinman), Ferengi, Q, the black
void all of which would in reality have finished him off, but in the NG
universe, they all sit down and have some tea in the end. Isn't that cosy.

Rainer Deyke

Jan 28, 1994, 7:15:40 PM1/28/94
Thomas Taylor (to...@bmers161.bnr.ca) wrote:: |> >15. Kirk was court-marshalled (in ST IV). Picard never was.

[...]

Of course, they didn't steal a Fed. starship, destroy it, taking a
Klingon boarding party with them, and then steal the Klingon's ship,
disobey a direct order not to approach Earth, and travel back in time,
risking a change in history. Then again, the new crew DOES ignore
orders pretty often... probably because they're related to Kirk, like
the majority of all people in the 24th century:)

--
Rainer Deyke - rai...@mdddhd.fc.hp.com

ADT...@psuvm.psu.edu

Jan 28, 1994, 8:09:10 PM1/28/94
I've been thinking about this.
I think that both captains are equally good.
They both can be take-charge or diplomatic, depending on what the
situation calls for.
I truly feel that Picard could have been just like Kirk (remember that ep.
where Q takes him back to being fresh out of the Academy? Picard got the babe
then, and then there's Vash... Nuff Said ;) as well as the other way around
(If you want a to see some diplomatic manuvering, think Corbomite (sp)
Manuever). The two Captains are of similar stock brought about in two
different times.
But just to keep things interesting...
Sisko vs. the Captains!
;) <read it before you flame me> :-)

Aaron (I'll write it up over the weekend/hopefully 2 lists) Thomas

Paul Rubin

Jan 29, 1994, 5:28:07 AM1/29/94
Well I always preferred westerns to soap operas myself.

KAD...@psuvm.psu.edu

Jan 28, 1994, 6:19:29 AM1/28/94
Someone requested a repost of the Kirk vs. Picard list.
PSEB is more than willing to provide that service -- but only if you
read the Picard vs Kirk list, too. Here they are; the Kirk-positive
reasons have the > symbols in front of them. Enjoy!

>Top One Hundred Reasons Why Captain Kirk is Better Than Captain Picard
> by Hemi and the Farkmaster

Top One Hundred Reasons Why Captain Picard is Better Than Captain Kirk
by the Patrick Stewart Estrogen Brigade

> 100. Kirk is a leader, not a follower.
Picard is a lover, not a fighter.

> 99. Kirk never really got into that kinky "Jumpsuit" look.
Kirk could never really fit into that kinky "Jumpsuit" look.

> 98. Kirk has sex more than once a season.
Sex with Picard is worth waiting for a whole season.

> 97. One Word: Hair.
One word: sex appeal (OK, two words).

> 96. Another Word: Pretty-good-looking-can't-see-the-weave-WIG.
Another word: Damn-good-looking-don't-need-a-weave!

> 95. Kirk can beat up a Klingon bare-handed.
Picard can beat up a Klingon bare.... (heheh) ;->

> 94. Picard is a French man with an English accent.
Kirk doesn't have a sexy accent at all.

> 93. Kirk would date Beverly Crusher -- and damn the consequences!!
Kirk would date anything claiming to be female (see #69).

> 92. Kirk never drinks tea. Ever.
Kirk obviously has a bladder problem.

> 91. Diplomacy for Kirk is a phaser and a smirk.
Diplomacy for Picard is a red bow tie and a smile
(and nothing else).

> 90. Kirk would personally throw Wesley off his bridge.
Picard would personally throw Kirk off his bridge.

> 89. Two words: Shoulder Roll.
Two words: Picard Maneuver
Two more words: Well endowed

> 88. Kirk doesn't wear dresses when admirals arrive for lunch.
Admirals don't WANT to lunch with Kirk.

> 87. Kirk once said: "I've got a belly-ache -- and it's a beauty."
Picard (on the SoL) says "I've got a great crew -- and they're
all beauties!"

> 86. Kirk would never sing to children in a crisis.
Kirk has no singing voice, that's why they don't bother
asking him to sing.

> 85. Kirk can almost drive a stick shift.
Kirk drives his *own* stick shift. ;>
Picard can ride a horse! :-)

> 84. Kirk, almost single-handedly, re-populated the Earth's whale
> population.
Kirk secretly wanted to father Earth's whale population.

> 83. Kirk says "Prime Directive? What Prime Directive?"
Picard says "Kirk? What Kirk?"

> 82. Kirk knows 20th Century curses.
Picard has enough brain cells to think up more creative insults.

> 81. Kirk was NEVER infiltrated by the Borg and used against the
> Federation.
Picard NEVER acted like a horse while some midget rode him.

> 80. Kirk ate little coloured cubes and still remained relatively healthy.
Picard knows how to use chopsticks for more than walrus imitations.

> 79. Kirk made do with obviously low performance technology.
Kirk *was* low performance technology...

> 78. Kirk never pretends to be a barber in order to gain a tactical
> advantage.
Picard never pretends to be a bum to get a date.
Kirk doesn't have the acting skill.

> 77. Kirk wasn't shy about taking his shirt off
> --even around those pesky Yeomans.
Picard isn't shy about taking his pants off
--even around those pesky Cardassians.

> 76. Kirk would never waste a holodeck on something stupid like Dixon Hill.
Starfleet would never waste a holodeck on someone like Kirk.
Kirk would waste a holodeck on green Orion slave girls to be
at his beck and call.

> 75. Kirk never once stood up and had to straighten his shirt.
Picard never once stood up and had to suck in his gut.

> 74. One Word: Velour.
Three words: Stretch velour jhodphurs

> 73. Kirk can beat a Vulcan at Chess.
Picard's counselor can beat an android at chess.

> 72. When Kirk was Picard's age, he retired from Admiral and took to
> climbing rocks.
Spock shoulda let him fall.

> 71. When Picard was 37, he was only Captain of the lowly freighter,
> Stargazer. When Kirk was 37, he was Captain of the flagship
> Enterprise.
Kirk slept his way to the top. Picard earned it.

> 70. Kirk liked a good belt of liquor every now and again.
Picard likes a good glass of wine every now and again.

> 69. One Word: Iman
One word: Kamala

> 68. Kirk looks good with a ripped shirt.
Picard looks good with NO shirt (or pants).

> 67. If Kirk ever met a Ferengi, he would rip off its head and shit down
> its neck.
Picard has better things to do with his time.

> 66. Kirk says "Shoot first and wait for retaliation."
Picard says "Think first and you'll always discover
a sensible solution."

> 65. Kirk's first officer NEVER tells him to stay on the bridge.
Kirk's first officer was trying to get rid of him.

> 64. Kirk never leaves the room to bawl somebody out.
Kirk just leaves the room to bawl.

> 63. Kirk doesn't rely on the wisdom of some dumb old
> janitor to get him out of intergalactic scrapes.
Picard doesn't rely on weak over-acting to get him out of
intergalactic scrapes.

> 62. Two Words: Funky Sideburns.
Three Words: No Funky Bellbottoms

> 61. Kirk never asks his bartender for advice.
Picard never asked his Chief Medical Officer to be bartender.

> 60. Kirk never once said "Abandon ship! All hands abandon ship!"
Picard never destroyed his own ship on purpose.

> 59. Kirk is not politically correct.
That's o.k., Kirk's not correct on much else, either.

> 58. Kirk never got "dumped" by a woman for an intergalactic busy body named
> after a letter of the alphabet.
Picard never got dumped by a woman who would rather chase whales.

> 57. Kirk never wore green tights and frolicked about in Sherwood Forest.
Kirk wouldn't look good in tights. Especially at midseason.

> 56. If there was ever a Klingon on Kirk's bridge, Kirk would likely be
> dead.
Picard can reason with Klingons.

> 55. Ever hear of a bar shooter called "Make it so?" No? How about a
> "Beam me up Scotty" then? See the difference?
Picard's Chief of Engineering has more important things to do
than run the transporter.

> 54. One Word: Miniskirts.
Two words: Bicycle shorts ;->

> 53. Kirk's girlfriends always look good in soft light.
Kirk's girlfriends only look good in soft light.

> 52. Kirk never went anywhere without a whole bunch of guys in red
> shirts.
Picard takes responsibility for his actions.

> 51. Kirk's first officer didn't play some wimpy instrument like the
> trombone.
Picard's first officer doesn't play some wimpy instrument like a harp.

> 50. Kirk had more dates than his first officer.
Picard is man enough not to kiss and tell.

> 49. The extent of Kirk's knowledge of Klingon vocabulary can be roughly
> translated as "GO F*CK YOURSELF."
Kirk couldn't learn a second language if he wanted to.

> 48. If something doesn't speak English -- it's toast.
Kirk always was a little too obsessed with food.

> 47. Kirk wasn't some prissy archaeology fan.
Kirk wouldn't know a 20th Century knife if it Bobbit'ed him

> 46. Picard's middle name isn't tough or awe-inspiring like Tiberius is.
Picard doesn't rely on a middle name to be tough or
awe-inspiring.

> 45. If Kirk finds a strange spinning probe, he blows it up.
Is that what you call a blow job?

> 44. Picard never met Joan Collins.
Picard has much better luck.

> 43. Picard flunked his entrance exams to Starfleet.
Kirk cheated on his final exams at Starfleet Academy.

> 42 Picard hasn't fathered any children; Kirk -- probably millions.
Picard is smart enough to figure out how to use birth control.

> 41. Kirk has a cool phaser -- not some pansy Braun mix-master.
Picard has cool touch padds -- not some clickety-click buttons.

> 40. Two Words: Line Delivery.
Two Words: Over Acting
Two words: Rescue 911

> 39. Picard grew up on a quaint little French vineyard, squishing grapes
> with his toes, while Kirk slung bails of wheat and hay
> in Iowa to put himself through school.
Picard is cultured. Kirk wouldn't know a salad fork from a
dessert fork.

> 38. Kirk emphasizes his orations with pertinent hand gestures.
PSEB knows how Picard emphasizes the important orations.

> 37. Kirk once made a cannon out of bamboo, sulphur, potassium nitrate,
> charcoal and then fired diamonds into the hearts of his
> enemies. (Need we say more?)
We know all McGyver-isms are full of shit.

> 36. Kirk is not put off by green skin.
Kirk would have sex with *anything*.
Picard was never put off by intelligence.

> 35. Kirk knows how to deal with peace loving hippy goofs.
Picard knows how to deal with war-mongering Cardassians, greedy
Ferengi, and bloodthirsty Klingons -- without people dying.

> 34. Kirk once fought a Greek god. And won.
Picard IS a Greek god. 'Nuff said.

> 33. Kirk barely asks for suggestions. And if he does, he asks Spock only.
Picard knows the value of advice. Many minds are better than one.

> 32. Kirk doesn't let the doctor tell him what to do.
Picard already *knows* what the doctor wants him to do! ;)

> 31. One Word: Fisticuffs.
One Word: Cro-Magnon (Kirk, that is... ;)

> 30. Kirk's name is hated throughout the galaxy.
Picard's name is respected throughout the universe.

> 29. Kirk appreciates Shakespeare, but he doesn't let it show.
Kirk probably believes Shakespeare was a Klingon.

> 28. You can never lock up Kirk for very long.
Some men *like* to be tied up...oh! You said "locked"... ;>

> 27. Kirk's eulogies can actually make you cry.
Picard's eulogies make women swoon.

> 26. Kirk plays god with lesser cultures, and then exploits them for
> resources.
Picard *is* a god and doesn't need to exploit...

> 25. Kirk's son would never drop out to become a musician.
Picard's son would never do science using unethical methods.

> 24. Kirk can climb up a Jeffries Tube and fix anything.
Kirk tries to climb up any tube he can!

> 23. Kirk never hired an engineer with punk glasses.
Picard never hired an engineer with a drinking problem.

> 22. The Klingons didn't have a word for surrender -- until they met Kirk.
Woman didn't have a word for shallow -- until they met Kirk.

> 21. Kirk's bridge is not beige.
Polyester and Formica don't come in that color.

> 20. Two Words: Crane Shots.
Two Words: Butt shots.

> 19. Picard likes wimpy violin music -- and coerces Data into playing it.
Picard is sensitive enough to realize that love of music is
a human strength, not to be belittled.

> 18. Picard allows cats on board, while Kirk beams away even really cute
> things, like Tribbles.
Cats *like* Picard.
Kirk only beamed the tribbles away after he found out he couldn't
have sex with them.

> 17. Kirk is a cultural icon -- Picard is just some guy who's really nice.
Picard knows he is a really nice guy -- Kirk just thinks he is
a cultural icon.

> 16. Kirk specifically ordered a swivel LA-Z-BOY for the bridge.
Clearly showing that he is both LAZY and a BOY.

> 15. Kirk would never touch SYNTHAHOL.
Picard *never* serves Romulan Ale at a diplomatic function.

> 14. Kirk looks distinguished in reading glasses -- and nobody dares to
> call him "four eyes."
Picard looks distinguished in or out of anything -- and nobody dares
to call him baldy.

> 13. Kirk can infiltrate Gangsters, Nazis, and even the Pentagon -- easily.
Picard can infilitrate PSEB's collective bedrooms...easily.

> 12. Picard likes painting nudes, for art's sake.
Picard can get nude models easily; Kirk -- well, maybe he could
use a mirror.

> 11. When Kirk doesn't trust the Romulans, he fires at them. When Picard
> doesn't trust the Romulans, he gets fired at.
When Picard doesn't trust the Romulans, he sends Troi over
to kick some butt.

> 10. Kirk never once, ever,wore a wiener wrapping Speedo banana hammock on
> shore leave.
Paramount knew no one would watch the show again if he did.
There *is* a God.

> 9. Kirk never gets his command codes locked out by some pimply acting
> ensign.
StarFleet never trusted Kirk with command codes in the first place.
Picard would never let some Irish-ballad-singing Lieutenant
order hot fudge sundaes for the entire crew.

> 8. Kirk doesn't test the engines -- he just fires them up.
This is exactly why the Enterprise, under Kirk, spent most of its
five-year mission either without warp drive or adrift.

> 7. When Kirk says "Boldly Go," he MEANS it.
When Picard sats "Boldy Go," all the women in the audience
collapse in a smouldering heap of estrogen. When he says
"Come," they do!

> 6. Three Words: Flying Leg Kick
Three Words: Take me now. ;->
Three More Words: Chest-Revealing Bedwear

> 5. Picard's crew would never ever think of him as a sexual object.
Wanna make a bet?
The Looooooooooove Ship is fighting for time with him...
BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> 4. Kirk traveled through The Great Barrier, met God, and wasn't even
> impressed.
Neither was God.

> 3. Kirk's bedroom is a passion pit with electric sheets.
Picard's bedroom is a passion pit WITHOUT electric sheets.

> 2. Kirk would never let his Chief of Security wear a ponytail.
Kirk's redshirts/Security Chiefs never lived long enough to grow one.
Picard doesn't need a new Chief of Security every episode.

> 1. One Word: Balls.
One Word: Balls.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[]Karen A. Droms (PSEB, JLPSoL) KAD...@psuvm.psu.edu[]
[]Holodeck Specialist in Charge of Programming Private Detective Fantasies[]
[]======="Sex on TV might hurt someone...but only if they fall off."======[]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

csc_gs...@emuvax.emich.edu

Jan 30, 1994, 7:57:09 AM1/30/94
I'll bite. Sisko is better than Picard although he has a much more interesting
supporting cast to aid him in that regards. Kirk better than Sisko by far.
They broke the mold with James Kirk. And you can't get any better than a
classic. And in the flip side, if Picard had Odo on his crew in addition to
Data he would really have another weapon or two. Julie

NICHOLS, DANIEL R

Jan 31, 1994, 5:00:11 PM1/31/94
I think you need to recheck some of your "facts".
I do not have time to go over them, but one error
is about Picard being older than Kirk was in ST2.