NEW TOS Afternoon Tea [G] 1/1 (Sc&Ch) Majel Tribute

Kirok of L'Stok

Dec 28, 2008, 4:34:28 AM12/28/08
Title: Afternoon Tea
Author: Kirok of L'Stok
Series: TOS
Rating: G
Codes: Scotty, Computer, Christine Chapel, Majel Barrett Roddenberry
tribute
Part: 1/1

that I thought I would write something more optimistic about our leave-
taking with Majel Barrett Roddenberry. As Heinlein said, “Good people
never really leave us.”

Kirok of L'Stok

PS – Thanks Steff for all your help and advice

~~~

Nurse Christine Chapel sighed in relief as she dropped into the chair
in her quarters at the end of her shift. The five year mission was
coming to a close soon and there were a thousand and one things to tie
up before the final berthing. Each of the tight-knit crew of the
Enterprise was preparing in their own way and Christine's thoughts
went to her own future. Reaching over to the terminal on her desk she
pushed one of the buttons to log on to the ship's computer to see if
there was any confirmation of her acceptance in the Starfleet Medical
degree course she had applied for.

“Computer! Check for incoming subspace communications, authorisation
Chapel, Christine.”

A voice she recognised answered her. “There are no unopened incoming
messages.”

~~~

Christine stormed up to Lieutenant Commander Scott in Engineering

“Scotty, is this some kind of joke?”

Feigning innocence, he gave her one of his boyish smiles“What d'ye
mean, lassie?”

“You know very well what I mean you old reprobate! Why does the
computer suddenly sound like me?”

His look of hurt was not feigned this time. “Ah like a good joke as
much as the next man but ah wouldn'a dream of tamperin' with ship's
systems!”

“Hmmm,” she looked only half-convinced, “perhaps. That doesn't answer
my question though.”

Scotty looked uncomfortable, as if he had bitten on something bitter.
“It's a new upgrade to the ship's computer's vocal interface by, uh,
Mr Spock.”

“Spock?!”

“Aye. He's been working on it for months now, he needed vocal engrams
for the program and, uh, he seems to have used yours.” He seemed to
find something interesting in a grill on the far corner of the ceiling
as he continued casually, “I've heard that Starfleet Command is going
to make it a standard across the fleet.”

Christine was shocked! “My voice is going to be heard in every ship of
the fleet?!” Her hand fluttered at her throat as she considered the
enormity of the intrusion on her privacy. “What gives him the
right ...!” She couldn't go on. All those years of lost opportunities,
she thought, and now he callously takes something so personal as my
voice from me. Her eyes misted at the hurt.

“Christine, no!” Scotty walked around the console and touched her
lightly on the arm. He felt awkward in this situation but couldn't
bear to see a friend so hurt. “Ah know Mr Spock better than most and
though he can be tactless, infuriating and stubborn as a mule there's
not a hurtful bone in his body. He's nae said anything, aye, and he
never would, but I think it's his way of keeping you with us after
you've gone.”

The eternal spark of hope in her flared once more as she doubtingly
stammered, “But he's never ...”

Scotty leaned forward, lowering his voice conspiratorially.
“Christine, he's Vulcan. What d'ye expect from him? Flowers an'
chocolates?” He leaned back against the console, crossing his arms.

“We'll all miss ye, y'know. You've been a part of the Enterprise right
from the beginning and you're closer to me than my family. It's a part
of life that people have to move on and, although we can hope to meet
again, until then ... all we can have is this 'digital you' and our
memories”

Turning to his Chief Technician he raised his voice, “Henderson! The
shift is yours, I'll be in ma quarters on my break.”

Gallantly offering his arm to his friend he gestured to the door.
“Could I offer you some afternoon tea, miss?

Laughing, she took his arm. “You certainly may, sir!”

SLWatson

Dec 28, 2008, 11:31:08 AM12/28/08
Awww! It's so sweet! Nice take on the tribute to Majel idea!

Ster Julie

Dec 28, 2008, 1:26:35 PM12/28/08
Nicely done (but I think that tea might have a wee drop o' somthin,'
nae?)

Peace!
Ster Julie

SLWatson

Dec 28, 2008, 2:04:52 PM12/28/08

::blinks:: Why would it? He's from the UK; tea is pretty much a
normal fact of life, and I can't fathom that it's always spiked with
something.

Kirok of L'Stok

Dec 28, 2008, 2:57:39 PM12/28/08

LOL I thought about him offering to share a wee dram but in this case
he's being gallant to a young lady and that wouldn't be appropriate at
all. Then I thought about him asking if she'd like a pot of tea which
would have been closer to his working class roots but, again, he's
trying to be thoroughly gentlemanly and who's to say that "High Tea"
complete with sugar cubes in a bowl with silver tongs, cucumber
sandwiches and petite-fours, might not be a pre-set that is available
from the replicator?

I could see him having his own set though, an heirloom from an auntie,
that he'd dragged around the galaxy to keep the link with his family
alive.

Thankyou for the kind words, ladies (-_-)_ Practising my flash
fiction.

SLWatson

Dec 28, 2008, 3:07:43 PM12/28/08

> LOL I thought about him offering to share a wee dram but in this case
> he's being gallant to a young lady and that wouldn't be appropriate at
> all.

Well, that and the 'Scotty is nothing but a boozehound' cliche is so
worn out, that it's in tatters. ::makes a face:: Gets kind of old
when that's all writers ever reduce the man too, especially since out
of every episode of TOS, he only drank onscreen twice and inferred he
would be three times.

> Then I thought about him asking if she'd like a pot of tea which
> would have been closer to his working class roots but, again, he's
> trying to be thoroughly gentlemanly and who's to say that "High Tea"
> complete with sugar cubes in a bowl with silver tongs, cucumber
> sandwiches and petite-fours, might not be a pre-set that is available
> from the replicator?

Why not indeed?

> I could see him having his own set though, an heirloom from an auntie,
> that he'd dragged around the galaxy to keep the link with his family
> alive.

LOL! I can't, but it's still a very endearing idea. Good work,
again!

-Steff

Kirok of L'Stok

Dec 28, 2008, 4:28:10 PM12/28/08
On Dec 29, 7:07 am, SLWatson <SteffWat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > LOL I thought about him offering to share a wee dram but in this case
> > he's being gallant to a young lady and that wouldn't be appropriate at
> > all.
>
> Well, that and the 'Scotty is nothing but a boozehound' cliche is so
> worn out, that it's in tatters.  ::makes a face::  Gets kind of old
> when that's all writers ever reduce the man too, especially since out
> of every episode of TOS, he only drank onscreen twice and inferred he
> would be three times.
> -Steff

I've often wondered why, when Federation vessels are so obviously
patterned after US traditions, that there is liquor on board at all.
American naval ships have always been "dry" as against Royal Navy
vessels which still provide a daily "tot" I believe. My Dad has told
me some fascinating stories about the rum ration from his days in the
Navy ... it sounds like watered-down treacle!

SLWatson

Dec 28, 2008, 4:35:12 PM12/28/08

> I've often wondered why, when Federation vessels are so obviously
> patterned after US traditions, that there is liquor on board at all.
> American naval ships have always been "dry" as against Royal Navy
> vessels which still provide a daily "tot" I believe. My Dad has told
> me some fascinating stories about the rum ration from his days in the
> Navy ... it sounds like watered-down treacle!

Oh, I dunno. I suppose because they couldn't expect people to go off
into deep space for five years without alcohol? Honestly, I have no
clue. I still don't think it was so central to the ship and life
onboard as everything makes it out to be, though. And yeah, grog
wasn't exactly fine liquor, but I guess any port in a storm.

vanhunks

Dec 28, 2008, 6:14:00 PM12/28/08
On Dec 28, 11:34 am, "Kirok of L'Stok" <Kirok.LiefErik...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Title: Afternoon Tea
> Author: Kirok of L'Stok
> Series: TOS
> Rating: G
> Codes: Scotty, Computer, Christine Chapel, Majel Barrett Roddenberry
> tribute
> Part: 1/1

> that I thought I would write something more optimistic about our leave-
> taking with Majel Barrett Roddenberry. As Heinlein said, “Good people
> never really leave us.”
>
> Kirok of L'Stok

Ah, a really fitting end to a leaving lady!

vanhunks

Ster Julie

Dec 28, 2008, 6:42:40 PM12/28/08

I was just kidding.

-j-

SLWatson

Dec 29, 2008, 12:10:37 AM12/29/08

> I was just kidding.

http://www.suslik.org/Humour/Profession/engineer2.html

That should help. ;-)

SLWatson

Dec 29, 2008, 12:38:14 AM12/29/08
> I was just kidding.

Here's a good one too:

A man is flying a hot air balloon and realizes he is lost. He reduces
height and spots a man down below. He lowers the balloon further and
shouts, "Excuse me. Can you help me? I promised my friend I would meet
him a half-hour ago, but I don't know where I am." The man below says,
"Yes, you are in a hot air balloon, hovering

approximately 30 feet above this field. You are between 40 and 42
degrees N. latitude, and between 58 and 60 degrees W. longitude."

"You must be an engineer," says the balloonist.

"I am," replies the man. "How did you know?"

"Well," says the balloonist, "everything you have told me is
technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your
information, and the fact is I am still lost."

The man below says, "You must be a manager."

"I am," replies the balloonist, "but how did you know?"

"Well," says the man below, "you don't know where you are, or where
you are going. You've made a promise which you have no idea how to
keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. The fact is you are in
exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now it is
somehow my fault."

Ster Julie

Dec 29, 2008, 2:06:16 AM12/29/08
Great joke! I will have to send it on to the managers in my family.

Peace!
Ster Julie

SLWatson

Dec 29, 2008, 10:44:50 AM12/29/08

Isn't it? I can see something similar happening to Kirk and
Scott. ::laughs::

Ster Julie

Dec 29, 2008, 3:34:55 PM12/29/08
Plot bunny! Here's some plot carrot to feed that idea. I can't wait
to read that story!

Peace!
Ster Julie

SLWatson

Dec 29, 2008, 6:40:48 PM12/29/08

Oh, I wish. I'm so writers blocked right now, though, that my friend
and I practically have to hold a whip up to get each other moving.

Ster Julie

Dec 29, 2008, 8:33:11 PM12/29/08
On Dec 29, 3:40 pm, SLWatson <SteffWat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, I wish.  I'm so writers blocked right now, though, that my friend
> and I practically have to hold a whip up to get each other moving.

Then you are a candidate for Dr. Evil! http://lab.drwicked.com/writeordie.html

*He'll* get you to write or die trying!!!

Bwahahahahaha!

Ahem.

Peace!
Ster Julie, grateful to Karracaz (on another list) for introducing me
to Dr. Evil

SLWatson

Dec 29, 2008, 11:29:07 PM12/29/08

Ha! If I did that, I'd probably be dead in no time.