OT: RIP Powers Boothe

Nelson

May 15, 2017, 11:20:12 AM5/15/17
Just heard of his death (natural causes at 68). He had a good, long career. The two roles I'll best remember him for is when he played cult leader Jim Jones and, of course when he played Johnnie Ringo in Tombstone.

number6

May 15, 2017, 12:53:57 PM5/15/17
On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 11:20:12 AM UTC-4, Nelson wrote:
> Just heard of his death (natural causes at 68). He had a good, long career. The two roles I'll best remember him for is when he played cult leader Jim Jones and, of course when he played Johnnie Ringo in Tombstone.

I pay no attention to actors ... and care not about any of them ...
but on occasion like his playing Jim Jones ... made me actually feel like
Jones was playing himself in the part ... when visualizing Jones ... I see
Powers Boothe despite all the news coverage of Jones versus the one time
I saw the movie ... and then again ... I couldn't tell you anything else
I saw him in ...

Nelson

May 15, 2017, 1:04:24 PM5/15/17
6....you never saw Tombstone? GREAT movie. Check it out.

number6

May 15, 2017, 1:17:33 PM5/15/17
I did see it ... but he was some generic actor playing some random cowboy ...
It's unusual for me to connect with actors and roles ... There has to be
something special that hits me ... Boothe did that in that Jim Jones
movie ... and he had to be really remarkable for that to happen ...

Nelson

May 15, 2017, 3:28:02 PM5/15/17
Boothe was really good in Tombstone, as was Kurt Russell.....but, IMO, the movie was taken over by Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday. Kilmer's had a pretty inconsistent career....this had to be his best roll

IommiRULES

May 15, 2017, 8:08:17 PM5/15/17
On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 11:20:12 AM UTC-4, Nelson wrote:
> Just heard of his death (natural causes at 68). He had a good, long career. The two roles I'll best remember him for is when he played cult leader Jim Jones and, of course when he played Johnnie Ringo in Tombstone.

Southern Comfort and red dawn...Red Dawn was a bit cheesy but southern comfort was prolly the sleeper of that year

Nelson

May 16, 2017, 11:45:39 AM5/16/17
I remember both of those movies but not that well, it's been years since I've seen either.

Unknown

May 16, 2017, 4:32:57 PM5/16/17
On Mon, 15 May 2017 08:20:11 -0700 (PDT), Nelson
<nel...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Just heard of his death (natural causes at 68). He had a good, long career. The two roles I'll best remember him for is when he played cult leader Jim Jones and, of course when he played Johnnie Ringo in Tombstone.

Well just to clarify, Powers Boothe played Curly Bill in Tombstone,
Johnny Ringo was played by Michael Biehn (he being Kyle Reese the
father of John Connor in The Terminator series).

Boothe had many great roles but my favorite was Cy Tolliver in
Deadwood, quite possibly the greatest television show of all time. A
character people vituperated simply because of his lack of
appreciation for human life, and Boothe played it with aplomb.

Hats N Bats

Nelson

May 16, 2017, 6:31:44 PM5/16/17
Hats...damn, you're right. Johnnie Ringo was the one who came up short in the famous duel in the forest scene with Doc. Remind me, how did Curly Bill (Boothe) die?

IommiRULES

May 16, 2017, 6:57:07 PM5/16/17
Southern Comfort could best be described as the 80's "deliverance", you know the burt reynolds movie....but with national guardsmen as the victims, which made it more intense, imo.

IommiRULES

May 16, 2017, 7:23:01 PM5/16/17
or this Exodus song, Cajun Hell, describes it perfectly:

Down in the bayou where the alligators roam
Live some people, you leave them alone
Getting lost may be your last mistake
Unfriendly strangers, unkindly they take
Livin' off the fat of the land
They hold their justice in the palm of their hand
Lay down your gun and surrender quiet
Or there's gonna be a Cajun riot
Danger in the swamp, that waits for you
There's nothing left that you can do
Better watch your back for the vicious attack
'Cause they'll be looking for you
Playing with your life, for your life is too short
Pain is too good for you
Your last breath is all you have left
Take it before you're doomed
Cajun hell, Cajun hell
Cajun hell, Cajun hell
Before you're doomed
Raising hell and they're ready for fightin'
Huntin' gators and drinkin' white lightnin'
Brewin' moonshine at a still in the swamp
Playin' Creole from dusk until dawn
Protect their own is the law of the land
Mess with their law it will get out of hand
Keep it in mind if you're ever down there
It might be fatal, you better beware
Danger in the swamp, that waits for you
There's nothing left that you can do
Better watch your back for the vicious attack
'Cause they'll be looking for you
Playing with your life, for your life is too short
Pain is too good for you
Your last breath is all you have left
Take it before you're doomed
Cajun hell, Cajun hell
Cajun hell, Cajun hell
Before you're doomed
Cajun hell, Cajun hell
Cajun hell, Cajun hell

Read more: Exodus - Cajun Hell Lyrics | MetroLyrics

DrElefant

May 16, 2017, 10:20:17 PM5/16/17
Iommi, I remember that one. Boothe did a nice job of acting. He was good. No doubt.

DrElefant

May 16, 2017, 10:26:06 PM5/16/17
Am I the only one left who likes the old Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas version better? That was Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Tombstone was okay, and it had some good actors and all, but I just didn't dig it as much as most people seem to.

DocE

"The future ain't what it used to be." -Yogi Berra

Fritz

May 17, 2017, 7:55:24 AM5/17/17
Hats, I was going to mention his role in Deadwood as well; also a favorite of mine. I never quite got what happened with Deadwood as HBO just ended it and there was never any conclusion to it and it was a great show. Deadwood had the best hand to hand fight to the death scene of any television show or movie I can remember when Boothe's enforcer and Al Sweringen's guy went at it.

Unknown

May 17, 2017, 1:18:56 PM5/17/17
On Tue, 16 May 2017 15:31:43 -0700 (PDT), Nelson
<nel...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 1:32:57 PM UTC-7, nor...@googlegroups.com wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 May 2017 08:20:11 -0700 (PDT), Nelson
>> <nel...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Just heard of his death (natural causes at 68). He had a good, long career. The two roles I'll best remember him for is when he played cult leader Jim Jones and, of course when he played Johnnie Ringo in Tombstone.
>>
>> Well just to clarify, Powers Boothe played Curly Bill in Tombstone,
>> Johnny Ringo was played by Michael Biehn (he being Kyle Reese the
>> father of John Connor in The Terminator series).
>>
>> Boothe had many great roles but my favorite was Cy Tolliver in
>> Deadwood, quite possibly the greatest television show of all time. A
>> character people vituperated simply because of his lack of
>> appreciation for human life, and Boothe played it with aplomb.
>>
>> Hats N Bats
>>
>> --
>
>Hats...damn, you're right. Johnnie Ringo was the one who came up short in the famous duel in the forest scene with Doc. Remind me, how did Curly Bill (Boothe) die?

I want to say Wyatt Earp killed him during the creek ambush towards
the end of the movie.

Hats N Bats

Unknown

May 17, 2017, 1:20:09 PM5/17/17
On Tue, 16 May 2017 19:26:05 -0700 (PDT), DrElefant
<DrEl...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 3:32:57 PM UTC-5, nor...@googlegroups.com wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 May 2017 08:20:11 -0700 (PDT), Nelson
>> <nel...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Just heard of his death (natural causes at 68). He had a good, long career. The two roles I'll best remember him for is when he played cult leader Jim Jones and, of course when he played Johnnie Ringo in Tombstone.
>>
>> Well just to clarify, Powers Boothe played Curly Bill in Tombstone,
>> Johnny Ringo was played by Michael Biehn (he being Kyle Reese the
>> father of John Connor in The Terminator series).
>>
>> Boothe had many great roles but my favorite was Cy Tolliver in
>> Deadwood, quite possibly the greatest television show of all time. A
>> character people vituperated simply because of his lack of
>> appreciation for human life, and Boothe played it with aplomb.
>
>Am I the only one left who likes the old Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas version better? That was Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Tombstone was okay, and it had some good actors and all, but I just didn't dig it as much as most people seem to.

Tombstone had a great cast IMO and though I've never seen Corral but
anything with Lancaster and Douglas has to be good....

Hats N Bats

Unknown

May 17, 2017, 1:44:34 PM5/17/17
On Wed, 17 May 2017 04:55:23 -0700 (PDT), Fritz
<tgif...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Hats, I was going to mention his role in Deadwood as well; also a favorite of mine. I never quite got what happened with Deadwood as HBO just ended it and there was never any conclusion to it and it was a great show. Deadwood had the best hand to hand fight to the death scene of any television show or movie I can remember when Boothe's enforcer and Al Sweringen's guy went at it.

Well it depends who you ask. David Milch and HBO really had a bitter
argument over it with no final answer being agreed upon. I will tell
you that in my estimation, the 1 mil per episode cost back then was
more than likely the reason.

I totally agree with you that the hand to hand fight scene you refer
to in Season 3 Episode 5 is by far the best ever filmed. It featured
Swearengen's enforcer Dan Dorrity against George Hearst's man Captain
Turner. Legend has it that the eyeball pull on Turner was suggested by
Alice In Chains guitarist Jerry Cantrell's brother. Pure brutality.

Jim Beaver who played Ellsworth used to occasionally contribute in the
Deadwood ng as the show was running....he was extremely insightful.
Also of note is that the guys in ZZ Top were huge Deadwood fans and
appeared as extras somewhere along the way although I am not certain
where.

As I understand it, the script for the two hour Deadwood movie which
would give the show its proper ending is in the can and it is
extremely unfortunate that Cy Tolliver will now not be a part of it
although I believe he was one of the fictional characters interspersed
with the real legends of Deadwood and may not be integral to the
closing. If you'll recall Andy Cramed gut stabbed him in season 3 so
there's nothing to say he didn't die....

I would assume that the movie bringing the show's fans proper closure
would take place post the first time the town burned to the ground. I
figure there's got to be some time lapse to account for the aging of
the characters and that it couldn't possibly pick up from Swearengen
scrubbing a blood stain after consoling Jonny Burns.

It'll be interesting to see who signs on and is actully available for
the filming as that cast was top to bottom A+ and all went on to great
careers.Geez I could talk Deadwood all day!

Hats N Bats

DrElefant

May 17, 2017, 2:55:25 PM5/17/17
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957) also had John Ireland, Lee Van Cleef, and a very young Dennis Hopper, not to mention Rhonda Fleming who was very easy on the eyes.

If that's not enough, it also had two of the Earp Brothers being played by Martin Milner (who later starred in TV's Route 66 and Adam 12) and DeForest Kelly (Doctor "Bones" McCoy from Star Trek.)

Another nice thing about that picture is that it was shot in gorgeous color, so when you see it today, it does not look like a 60-year-old film at all.

IommiRULES

May 17, 2017, 8:32:13 PM5/17/17
Yea it was one of those movies you never heard of til it came on cable...then you watch and get blown away...like I said, it was the sleeper of the year.I looked on rotten tomatoes and it has an 88% fresh rating, so I wasn't the only one impressed...I guess the new Powers Boothe is that actor....name escapes me... but he took over for Matt Damon in one of those Jason Bourne movies..

Nelson

May 18, 2017, 9:30:55 AM5/18/17
Lommi......thank you...that was bugging me. I almost asked if Southern Comfort was a bit of a rip off of an earlier movie but didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about. You're right...it was very similar to Deliverance. I saw S.C. one time and really don't recall much, if anything, about it.

IommiRULES

May 18, 2017, 8:49:20 PM5/18/17
Yea well, rednecks hunting lost people was the common thread. What made southern comfort more intense was it was the US military being hunted by the rednecks, not just civilians. But they were national guardsman without live ammo. Advantage, Cajuns.

Nelson

May 19, 2017, 11:16:15 AM5/19/17
Remind me...was Boothe a hero or villain?

IommiRULES

May 19, 2017, 5:04:06 PM5/19/17
Of course the Cajuns were the villians, boothe played a national guardsman.

number6

May 19, 2017, 5:21:45 PM5/19/17
On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 5:04:06 PM UTC-4, IommiRULES wrote:

> > Remind me...was Boothe a hero or villain?
>
> Of course the Cajuns were the villians, boothe played a national guardsman.

Gee ... I usually root for Cajuns over National Guardsmen ...
Especially after First Blood ...

IommiRULES

May 19, 2017, 5:54:57 PM5/19/17
wasn't that....Ex-Vietnam green beret vs the Canadian police? Then they called in his commanding officer from Nam to help? (or was it northwest usa cops?)good movie tho....another sleeper actually. Then the sequels were huge.... big budget.

number6

May 19, 2017, 8:05:51 PM5/19/17
On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 5:54:57 PM UTC-4, IommiRULES wrote:

> > Gee ... I usually root for Cajuns over National Guardsmen ...
> > Especially after First Blood ...
>
> wasn't that....Ex-Vietnam green beret vs the Canadian police? Then they called in his commanding officer from Nam to help? (or was it northwest usa cops?)good movie tho....another sleeper actually. Then the sequels were huge.... big budget.

It was NW USA cops ... but they weren't good enough so the National Guard
was called in ... and they made poor Rocky run blindly through an
abandoned mine when they blew up the entrance ... then he became Rambo 100 % ...

Unknown

May 20, 2017, 10:02:17 AM5/20/17
On Wed, 17 May 2017 11:55:24 -0700 (PDT), DrElefant
I'll have to see it, thanks.

Hats N Bats

number6

May 23, 2017, 4:37:55 PM5/23/17
On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 10:02:17 AM UTC-4, nor...@googlegroups.com

> >> Tombstone had a great cast IMO

To prove that not only do the the Giants coaches and management take
advice from this newsgroup ... after reading this thread the executives
of AMC decided to put Tombstone on tomorrow night 8 PM ...
Since they also air The Walking Dead ... I hope they didn't reshoot
the Curly Bill scenes as a crossover ...

Nelson

May 24, 2017, 11:51:18 AM5/24/17
6...that's us...what's the line from Cool Hand Luke....."natural born earth shakers":)

number6

May 24, 2017, 12:50:36 PM5/24/17
That goes back to Tiki's fumbling problem ... Coach Dorgan gave a clinic
here as to basic coaching that's needed to prevent fumbling ... within
a week ... Giants Coaches when questioned by the press seemed to almost
verbatim repeat what Dorgan wrote ... and Tiki's fumbling went away ..
Coincidence ?? Probably ... but it's still a good story ...

Nelson

May 24, 2017, 5:20:12 PM5/24/17
And let's also not forget that, within a week of my infamous trivia question, Jerry Koosman had converted to Judaism.

Unknown

May 25, 2017, 1:37:55 PM5/25/17
On Tue, 23 May 2017 13:37:54 -0700 (PDT), number6 <snum...@aol.com>
wrote:
If it were that easy we'd have had more than one person looking down
the barrel of Doc Halliday's revolver..... or at least I would have.

Hats N Bats