Jamarcus Russell - Foreclosure

number6

Mar 4, 2011, 10:40:23 AM3/4/11
How can someone have over 30 million dollars guaranteed not afford to
make payments on his $3 million dollar house and will ruin his credit
by allowing a foreclosure ?? ... and didn't even have Bernie Madoff as
his financial advisor ...

Lubow

Mar 4, 2011, 1:20:54 PM3/4/11

Worse... he had Al Davis as his financial adviser.

number6

Mar 4, 2011, 1:48:12 PM3/4/11

One of the many things I like about the Giants is that they help their
players handle their new found riches ... It's part of Charlie Way's
job and others on the staff to make sure their players won't screw up
their finances ... They are not perfect I'm sure as they don't force
anyone to do the right things ... but one only has to look at say a
player like Armstead who benefitted from this philosophy and carried
it through long after he left here ...

I believe Al Davis is suing for return of some of the signing
bonus ...

Jeff Gersten

Mar 4, 2011, 1:41:17 PM3/4/11
snum...@aol.com (number6) wrote:

He did have his valuable education from LSU. Let's see basket weaving
1,2,3. Independent studies with no papers or reading required, etc. You
know---the basic education required of a star SEC football or male
basketball player.

number6

Mar 4, 2011, 2:45:59 PM3/4/11
On Mar 4, 1:41 pm, JeffGers...@webtv.net (Jeff Gersten) wrote:

He was actually able to sign his name to a mortgage ... I thought that
would qualify him for a Masters there ...
maybe he only made an X ... BS requirement ...

hatsnbats

Mar 4, 2011, 2:49:32 PM3/4/11
On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 07:40:23 -0800 (PST), number6 <snum...@aol.com>
wrote:

Sounds very US Gov-ish to me... He should run for office.

Hats N Bats

Minnesota Fats

Mar 4, 2011, 7:12:04 PM3/4/11

The answer is very simple: a fool and his money are soon parted.

number6

Mar 4, 2011, 8:41:09 PM3/4/11

Well, in this case ... I guess that allpies to Al Davis also ...

Lubow

Mar 5, 2011, 12:22:03 AM3/5/11
On Mar 4, 2:45 pm, number6 <snumb...@aol.com> wrote:

> He was actually able to sign his name to a mortgage ... I thought that
> would qualify him for a Masters there ...
> maybe he only made an X ... BS requirement ...

This is as OT as it gets, but we may not see pro footbal for awhile...
Funny you bring up the issue of cheap graduate degrees. I was going
over my graduate work with one of my sons last night.

It was at MIT in 1971 where we were working on the sources of and
remedies for unreliability on the national rail network. I was
working on my masters and for the project I assisted Joe, a doctoral
student whose dissertation would be based on a Fortran simulation of a
generalized rail network with probability density functions based on
data I had gathered from canvassing various railroads across the
country. It took Joe two years to complete the software mostly
because the computers of the day -- even at MIT -- could not handle
the complexity of the system.

Gotta laugh now because last year -- out of boredom due to NFL-less
weekends -- I duplicated Joe's software in a couple of days. Talk
about cheap PhDs from MIT!

number6

Mar 5, 2011, 11:22:51 AM3/5/11
On Mar 5, 12:22 am, Lubow <dynamitem...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Gotta laugh now because last year -- out of boredom due to NFL-less
> weekends -- I duplicated Joe's software in a couple of days.  Talk
> about cheap PhDs from MIT!

When I was in grad school as part of the old AEC which funded us we
had computer access and access to their least squares fit program ...
It was a big deal and state of the art at the time ...cited in
hundreds if not thousands of papers ... a batch of punch cards about
2 feet long followed by a half inch of punched data which we added ...
now it's a few clicks of the button on Excel ...

We had 4 slots for our own programs ... and with the everlasting
government policy of use it or lose it ... 3 of them (two I recall
were called Greed and Morgreed (8 characters max)) merely added 2
numbers ...the other was a game ...

DoctorElefant

Mar 5, 2011, 9:57:44 PM3/5/11

I once signed up for a PASCAL course in college. Naturally, the first
homework assignment required lining up to use the school's mainframe
with a stack of punch cards. Everything seemed to go the way it was
supposed to, except I could not get the correct answer which the
instructor had told us in advance. This happened over and over.

I decided to use some NYC ingenuity to solve this dilemma; have low
friends in high places. Thus I waited until the next might when the
best error spotter who worked for university was working the
mainframe, because with his 4 years of experience he would know how to
handle a simple homework assignment, plus he was a very good friend of
mine.

"Hey buddy. What brings you here?" He looked at my assignment and
chuckled. Then he said, "Hang out. I'll take care of this in a
minute."

The minute turned into hours. He even stayed after they closed up and
worked on it all night, but still kept getting the same damn wrong
answers I had been getting.

This episode told me all I ever needed to know about PASCAL language.
I dropped the friggin' course.

DocE

"The future ain't what it used to be." -Yogi Berra

DoctorElefant

Mar 5, 2011, 10:04:46 PM3/5/11
On Mar 4, 1:49 pm, Hats N Bats wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 07:40:23 -0800 (PST), number6 <snumb...@aol.com>

> wrote:
>
> >How can someone have over 30 million dollars guaranteed not afford to
> >make payments on his $3 million dollar house and will ruin his credit
> >by allowing a foreclosure ?? ... and didn't even have Bernie Madoff as
> >his financial advisor ...
>
> Sounds very US Gov-ish to me... He should run for office.

How true. Of course, he'd have to screw up billions, not just
millions, to show his worth at the federal level.

Lubow

Mar 6, 2011, 4:52:13 PM3/6/11
On Mar 5, 9:57 pm, DoctorElefant <DoctorElef...@aol.com> wrote:

> This episode told me all I ever needed to know about PASCAL language.
> I dropped the friggin' course.

The Pascal language was invented by the eminent Swiss mathematician,
Niklaus Wirth. When asked how to pronounce his name, his answer was:

"If you call me by name, my name is 'Veert.'"

If you call me by value, my name is 'Worth.'"

Lubow

Mar 6, 2011, 4:58:39 PM3/6/11

Just as an explanation, Wirth's statement was a play on words using
computer jargon.

In the software business, we can shift control of a process to another
program. This can be done in one of three ways, i.e., by reference, by
name or by value. Hence, the play on words.

Lubow

Mar 6, 2011, 5:07:20 PM3/6/11
On Mar 5, 9:57 pm, DoctorElefant <DoctorElef...@aol.com> wrote:

> The minute turned into hours. He even stayed after they closed up and
> worked on it all night, but still kept getting the same damn wrong
> answers I had been getting.

Doc, it sounds like there was a bug in the Pascal interpreter. This
was similar to the problem NASA had a five or six years back when it
was unable to program commands to a Mars lander. NASA had taken a
short cut by having the software written in Java by foreign grad
students at Stanford.

I have no idea if the Java code was correct or not, but it was a
dangerous approach because there may have been bugs in the Java
interpreter as well. In a mission where there is one and only one
chance to get it right and billions of dollars are at stake, the
correct approach would have been to spend a few thousand bucks more
and have it programmed in assembly language, i.e., the native language
of the computer in 1s and 0s.

DoctorElefant

Mar 6, 2011, 8:36:47 PM3/6/11

I'm sure there was a logical explanation somewhere, Professor. Too bad
you weren't teaching that course. I'm sure I would have gotten a lot
more out of the PASCAL experience, plus every student would have
learned that Alvin Dark was the only person to homer off Sandy Koufax
and catch a pass from Y.A. Tittle.

Slipperman

Mar 6, 2011, 9:54:35 PM3/6/11

i'm a developer and i have never heard of/used the 'by name' method -
only the other 2. maybe this is something unique to Pascal? never used
it myself.
maybe you have an example??

Lubow

Mar 6, 2011, 11:12:07 PM3/6/11
On Mar 6, 8:36 pm, DoctorElefant <DoctorElef...@aol.com> wrote:

> plus every student would have
> learned that Alvin Dark was the only person to homer off Sandy Koufax
> and catch a pass from Y.A. Tittle.

Catch a TD pass from Yelberton Abraham!

Lubow

Mar 6, 2011, 11:28:15 PM3/6/11

Calling by name is the weird one and IMO obsolete from the day K&R
invented the c language. I have only found it in ALGOL which is
another of Wirth's languages. I last programmed in Pascal in 1985 on
the HP 64000 and I don't remember calling by name as being one of the
available constructs but I could be wrong about that.

Think of calling by name as a hybrid of a Fortran call by reference
and using a global variable because the names in the argument list
must be common to both the called and calling subprogram. It stems
from a computer science issue of avoiding global variables but if you
do need to have global variables (like the current prime rate if
you're doing a banking app) Wirth created the calling by name as a
work-around.

DoctorElefant

Mar 7, 2011, 1:07:50 AM3/7/11

That's it!

Kurgan Gringioni

Mar 8, 2011, 3:10:47 PM3/8/11

"Lubow" <dynami...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

:: It was at MIT in 1971 where we were working on the sources of and

:: remedies for unreliability on the national rail network. I was
:: working on my masters and for the project I assisted Joe, a doctoral
:: student whose dissertation would be based on a Fortran simulation of a
:: generalized rail network

FORTRAN sucks. I hated it.

Kurgan Gringioni

Mar 8, 2011, 3:13:26 PM3/8/11

On Mar 5, 9:57 pm, DoctorElefant <DoctorElef...@aol.com> wrote:

> The minute turned into hours. He even stayed after they closed up and
> worked on it all night, but still kept getting the same damn wrong
> answers I had been getting.

:: Doc, it sounds like there was a bug in the Pascal interpreter.

Back then, weren't they compilers?

number6

Mar 8, 2011, 4:09:01 PM3/8/11
On Mar 8, 3:10 pm, "Kurgan Gringioni" <kgringi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Lubow" <dynamitem...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Back when I was young it was FORTRAN or hand coding ...

Lubow

Mar 8, 2011, 4:41:55 PM3/8/11
On Mar 8, 3:13 pm, "Kurgan Gringioni" <kgringi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Lubow" <dynamitem...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

That's a grayish area. The output from the Pascal interpreter was
something called p-code which the run time interpreted.

Lubow

Mar 8, 2011, 4:44:01 PM3/8/11
On Mar 8, 3:10 pm, "Kurgan Gringioni" <kgringi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Lubow" <dynamitem...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

And an OO language (in some countries, "OO" is the symbol for the
john) that generates a meg of code to say "Hello, world" is OK?

Lubow

Mar 8, 2011, 4:44:47 PM3/8/11

You haven't lived until you programmed a PDP 8 using paper tape..