EXCLUSIVE - Stephon Marbury Blogs About Tumultuous Knicks Season

Syfo-Dyas

Jan 2, 2009, 8:08:16 AM1/2/09
By STEPHON MARBURY

To the Knicks fans in New York and around the world:

I really enjoyed writing this Knicks blog for Berman before and I have
a little extra time on my hands now, so I wanted to share my thoughts
with you about everything that's been going on.

I once heard it said that experience is not what happens to a man,
experience is what a man does with what happens to him. That's real
science, so I'll drop that one again. Experience is not what happens
to a man, experience is what a man does with what happens to him.

So what have I been doing with this experience this year? I've been
growing. Sometimes in life, we have to go through it in order to grow
through it. I've never been one to run away from pain or adversity
because it makes me stronger. I ran on the beach in Coney Island in
the summer as a kid selling sodas, knowing it would make me a stronger
person because I was willing to work harder than the next man.

My Pops and brothers taught me that work ethic. God rest my father's
soul.

I spent this past offseason with that mindset. I trained the entire
summer, running in the mountains and finding that burn to be in
tip-top shape so I could dominate this year. I embraced the pain. It
taught me a lot about my body.

I documented that experience in a workout DVD through AIM Sports
Medicine. People who know me know I'm in the best shape of my life and
I discovered a great formula that everyday people will be able to
benefit from as far as things like stretching properly and recovery.
Bottom line, I came to camp with the right attitude, in shape and
ready to play. I didn't come to be a distraction.

I didn't want to be a distraction for the team first and me second. I
honestly came to help the team win. Real talk. I was willing to put in
the work necessary to earn my starting spot and humble enough to
accept coming off of the bench.

It was unfortunate that the coach wanted to go in a different
direction and didn't want me to be part of the team. I just wish it
had been handled correctly from jump. I could understand the fact they
didn't want Chris Duhon looking over his shoulder but if you don't
want me, just pay me and let me go. I just want to play basketball.

I sat on the bench for a whole month and didn't say one word. It
wasn't easy because I love to play but that's the nature of the biz.
Then they made a trade and needed 8 guys and coach told me he had a
certain number of minutes. I was cool. My jersey was never hung in my
locker though so I never refused to play. Things were never handled
properly.

Through it all, I respected their business position to go in another
direction just like they have to respect my business position that I
have a contract and obligated to pay me. It's the principle of the
whole thing. It's really not about the money but it's about the money.
Feel me?

So what else have I been doing with this experience? I've been helping
others to grow.

While I've been waiting for them to make a move, I've been making
moves off the court as far as my Starbury business to put myself in
position to give back to those who need it most.

The past couple of months have been difficult for me but I know they
have been even more difficult for people just trying to make ends
meet. I know their pain is real. That's why I'm excited to announce
that my Starbury brand and Starbury.com will be launching in a few
weeks with all of my sneakers and gear through my partnership with
Amazon.com, allowing us to touch more than 70 million people. The
movement won't stop.

It's even more important now because people are hurting and nobody is
thinking about bailing out the people who need it most.

As Jay said, "there's much bigger problems in the world I know but I
first had to take care of the place I know. I'm from the bottom..."
That's where I'm at. We are putting people in position now to control
thei r own destiny through oppor...@starbury.com

Most companies are laying people off but we're putting people on. Not
only that but we are putting small businesses on and providing moms
and pops stores opportunities to get into e-commerce and expand their
product distribution and grow th eir companies. To me that's a
win-win.

While everybody was talking this and that about me being in LA as a
distraction at the Lakers game, I was out there meeting a shipment
overseas with my new product. I went to the game because I wanted to
see the game. Al Harrington is one of my closest friends so I wanted
to see him as well. It's tough watching other players on the floor
when you want to be out there on the court but I had to endure it and
shift some of my focus to business and getting outside of my self by
helping others.

I'm far from perfect but I always follow my heart so I know my path is
true. We're gonna make mistakes but how can you grow if you never have
the opportunity to move past your mistakes. I don't know where this is
headed, but in time it will be resolved. In the meantime, I wish
everybody out there a safe and Happy New Year in the greatest city on
earth.

One love.

Steph
James 1:12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for
when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which
GOD has promised to those who love him.

Dan Gaters

Jan 2, 2009, 12:08:58 PM1/2/09
Syfo-Dyas:

> One love.
>
> Steph
> James 1:12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for
> when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which
> GOD has promised to those who love him.

It's touching, of course, that he should finish with a shoutout to Isiah
Lord Thomas III.

DG

Syfo-Dyas

Jan 2, 2009, 1:24:21 PM1/2/09

I dont get the connection!

Dan Gaters

Jan 2, 2009, 3:20:08 PM1/2/09
Syfo-Dyas:

> I dont get the connection!

You're just going to have to re-read James 1:12 then.

DG

Syfo-Dyas

Jan 2, 2009, 5:19:16 PM1/2/09

Well I re-read it but I still dont get the connection. Sorry about
that maybe someone else gets it and will respond. Anyway Happy New
Year!

Capn'O

Jan 2, 2009, 5:22:34 PM1/2/09

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial..."

LOL! PERFECT!

P.S. Marbury or D???