Big Questions for Mets..Pitching? Cespedes?

MetsFanSince71

Jan 19, 2018, 2:34:51 PM1/19/18
Will the injured pitching staff rebound from surgeries? Will Cespedes not get injured numerous times?

Jim S.....

Jan 19, 2018, 7:10:09 PM1/19/18
On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 2:34:51 PM UTC-5, MetsFanSince71 wrote:
> Will the injured pitching staff rebound from surgeries? Will Cespedes not get injured numerous times

Who the hell knows?

Beach Runner

Jan 21, 2018, 10:08:16 PM1/21/18
This winter he is working on agility, rather than making increasing upper body strength. Previously, his workouts made his connective tissues, tighter, this year he's preparing far more scientifically.

Of course, with all this new science, we return to a lot of old school
baseball training.

Cespedes and Rosario are both training together and intend on having a race at the end of their training. This is a new goal for Cespada.

Hass

Jan 22, 2018, 6:53:32 AM1/22/18
I can see it now...SNY cameras recording...Ces starts off hot...has Rosario by 1/2 a length...20 yards short of the finish...it's gonna be close...Ces pulls up lame, grabbing hamstring...60 day DL.

Ruben Safir

Jan 22, 2018, 12:05:01 PM1/22/18
Cespedes would make a great SS

Beach Runner

Jan 22, 2018, 8:59:10 PM1/22/18
That would be interesting. I don't think his hands are soft enough.

Unless something freak accident happens, I suspect this will be the first time we get to see him play most of the games of the season.

He already had tons of power, now he's working on flexibility, athletism,
and such. I'm delighted he's doing that. And, working together with Rosario will help both of them. I suspect that they talk about hitting, pitchers, and other things like that a lot. Interpersonal dynamics play a huge role in how a player performs. Never forget they are human beings.
Having people that support you, believe in you, is important. Never underestimate the value of friendship on human performance in any field.

Rosario is a young player, he needs to learn the strike zone. He needs the support of another Hispanic player, that understands and supports him. When he strikes out, he needs to turn it into a learning experience. To learn from failure is the ultimate guide to success, and judging by his strikeout rate, he'll have a lot of learning.

I think he will be a gem. The two of them will be amazing.

Ruben Safir

Jan 23, 2018, 11:02:45 AM1/23/18
Cespedes can actually play 3rd base and the OF is then Conforto, Nimmo,
Bruce

Then the infield is
Cespedes, Rosario, Rivera, Flores

with D'Ardnuad/Palwiki

Beach Runner

Jan 23, 2018, 2:48:38 PM1/23/18
That is interesting. It would be a much stronger offense. Don't know his skills at third.

Gonzelez basically has been told first this year is his to lose.

matt....@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2018, 1:43:10 PM1/25/18
On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 2:48:38 PM UTC-5, Beach Runner wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 8:02:45 AM UTC-8, Ruben Safir wrote:
> > Jim S..... <justj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Who the hell knows?
> >

> > Cespedes can actually play 3rd base and the OF is then Conforto, Nimmo,
> > Bruce
> >
> > Then the infield is
> > Cespedes, Rosario, Rivera, Flores
> >
> > with D'Ardnuad/Palwiki
>
> That is interesting. It would be a much stronger offense. Don't know his skills at third.

It isn't going to happen. But Cespedes did take some grounders at third one game, looked pretty decent. I suspect he'd get hurt pretty quickly there, though.

> Gonzelez basically has been told first this year is his to lose.

Which I'm not sure is a great idea. Gonzalez is at the end of his career, and his skills are eroding. We'll see, they might get a career year out of him, but he isn't a long term answer the way Smith would be if he blossoms.

Ruben Safir

Jan 25, 2018, 4:10:22 PM1/25/18
matt....@gmail.com <matt....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 2:48:38 PM UTC-5, Beach Runner wrote:

>> > Cespedes can actually play 3rd base and the OF is then Conforto, Nimmo,
>> > Bruce
>> >
>> > Then the infield is
>> > Cespedes, Rosario, Rivera, Flores
>> >
>> > with D'Ardnuad/Palwiki
>>
>> That is interesting. It would be a much stronger offense. Don't know his skills at third.
>>

> It isn't going to happen. But Cespedes did take some grounders at third one game, looked pretty decent. I suspect he'd get hurt pretty quickly there, though.

As oposed to when he leaps like a thompson gazzelle over the rail and
into the crowd casing a foul ball?

or slides into the drainage pipe under the grass making a shoe string
grab?

He might be safer at 3rd.

ruben safir

Jan 26, 2018, 5:53:38 PM1/26/18
On 01/25/2018 01:43 PM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> It isn't going to happen. But Cespedes did take some grounders at third one game, looked pretty decent. I suspect he'd get hurt pretty quickly there, though.

Cespedes for Machardo?

matt....@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2018, 3:11:33 PM1/30/18
On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 4:10:22 PM UTC-5, Ruben Safir wrote:
> matt....@gmail.com <matt....@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> That is interesting. It would be a much stronger offense. Don't know his skills at third.
> >>

> > It isn't going to happen. But Cespedes did take some grounders at third one game, looked pretty decent. I suspect he'd get hurt pretty quickly there, though.
> >

> As oposed to when he leaps like a thompson gazzelle over the rail and
> into the crowd casing a foul ball?
>
> or slides into the drainage pipe under the grass making a shoe string
> grab?
>
> He might be safer at 3rd.

Okay, I'll give you that one. But I think he'd get killed at third. At least in the outfield, you don't get laser driven line drives and runners trying to kill you.

ruben safir

Jan 31, 2018, 12:56:14 AM1/31/18
On 01/30/2018 03:11 PM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> Okay, I'll give you that one. But I think he'd get killed at third. At least in the outfield, you don't get laser driven line drives and runners trying to kill you.

it will give him more of a chance to use that pistol finger :) If
Kilabrew and Msual could do it, since when is Cespedes a wuss!!

:)

Beach Runner

Jan 31, 2018, 9:17:15 AM1/31/18
His skills, great speed, incredible arm translate far better to the outfield than 3rd. He doesn't have the soft hands one expects from an infielder.

And you're right, he did get injured jumping into the stands, but once again, he was driven by incompetent Mets management to go all our, and it was April.

Bob4Health

Feb 18, 2018, 6:27:20 PM2/18/18
Back to the Mets.... no more arguing with trolls.

I think if he stays healthy we have a really good chance of seeing Cespades walk away with the MVP.

They FINALLY have some great trainers to keep him healthy. If so, I"ll lay odds that he has an awesome, Mays like year.

He had incredibly power, speed, and a bazooka for an arm. That is, he's another potential Willie Mays. He has demonstrated that when he is healthy
he alone can carry the offense.

I think the'll go all the way to the post season, and likely to the world series this year, if they keep 3 starting pitchers healthy and 3 relievers healthy.

ruben safir

Feb 18, 2018, 6:48:32 PM2/18/18
On 02/18/2018 06:27 PM, Bob4Health wrote:
> They FINALLY have some great trainers to keep him healthy.

will he quit smoking? That would be a big start.

Bob4Health

Feb 19, 2018, 6:10:12 PM2/19/18
Does Cespadas smoke?

Keeubie Plaffies

Feb 19, 2018, 6:30:16 PM2/19/18
He smokes ciggies.

You smoke poles.

ruben safir

Feb 19, 2018, 11:09:46 PM2/19/18
On 02/19/2018 06:10 PM, Bob4Health wrote:
>> will he quit smoking? That would be a big start.
> Does Cespadas smoke?

yup

Bob4Health

Feb 20, 2018, 7:00:26 AM2/20/18
Well, a rare cigar is no big deal. Hope he smokes Cuban tobacco.

When Clinton was asked why he smoked Cuban cigars, he said he preferred
to think of it as burning their fields:-)