whois on first

ruben safir

Mar 18, 2017, 6:36:38 PM3/18/17

tmp

Mar 19, 2017, 10:10:09 AM3/19/17
On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 6:36:38 PM UTC-4, ruben safir wrote:
> http://m.mlb.com/nym/video/topic/26668334/v1241602783/nymstl-flores-great-play-at-first/?c_id=nym
>

> he just keeps picking it at 1st.

He's always had those good hands.

Beach Runner

Mar 19, 2017, 7:59:27 PM3/19/17
As Duda's had back problems, NY is freaking cold in April nights.
Why not let Flores play all the night/cold weather games at the start
of the season to show if he can hit right handed pitching, and keep
Duda's back healthy.

Bad backs and freezing weather don't mix!

ruben safir

Mar 19, 2017, 9:48:19 PM3/19/17
On 03/19/2017 07:59 PM, Beach Runner wrote:
> As Duda's had back problems, NY is freaking cold in April nights.
> Why not let Flores play all the night/cold weather games at the start
> of the season to show if he can hit right handed pitching, and keep
> Duda's back healthy.

Flores will hit better than Duda. Duda's development is stuck and now
he is suffering injuries. Flores made key contributions in the 2015
playoff run

ruben safir

Mar 19, 2017, 11:39:58 PM3/19/17
http://risingapple.com/2017/03/19/mets-collins-hard-line-flores/

Mets manager takes hard line with Wilmer Flores
by Michael Lecolant13 hours agoFollow @BTB_mikeBHurst

Tweet
Share
Comment

If you were hoping to see more of Wilmer Flores this season, you might
be disappointed.

The season hasn’t even started yet, and it already sounds as if the Mets
oft-maligned infielder’s relationship with Terry Collins has reached its
newest low point.

While enjoying some rare Grapefruit playing time Friday against the
Cardinals, Wilmer doubled to deep center in the first inning, then hit
what I’m sure was a personally uplifting grand slam home run off Adam
Wainwright in the second. His performance was particularly noteworthy
because Wainwright is a right-hander, against which Flores struggles.

Wilmer’s only mistake of the day came post-game, when he decided to
politely speak his mind. By no means did Wilmer denounce his present
situation or speak out of line. All he did was answer questions in a
genuine thoughtful manner. But he did speak with a degree of confidence
seldom heard out loud. And did rather matter-of-fact express a clear
level of dismay over what he knows will be a very limited role this
season playing against left-handed starting pitchers.

Enter Terry Collins, rushing to douse Wilmer’s internal fire. Newsday’s
Marc Carig quotes the Mets skipper after the game saying,

“The one thing about his situation is you don’t have to like it;
you’ve got to accept it and be ready to play.”

I get a sense from Terry’s tone he is souring on Wilmer Flores. That’s
just a gut feeling. I find this somewhat reminiscent of TC’s latter-day
treatment of Ruben Tejada. As Tejada and Flores each encountered
respective fitness and endurance issues, each began seeing a very
different side of Terry Collins. My biased ears heard TC saying, okay
Wilmer, you won your arbitration case, now quit your whining and know
your role.

In any event, those are pretty tough words coming from Terry. If only
he were that tough with Matt Harvey.
More from Rising Apple

Mets Predictions: How will the Mets fare against the Phillies?2h ago
Mets reliever Fernando Salas back in camp after visa issue11h ago
Mets: League sources expect short suspension for Jeurys Familia2d ago
Mets 2017 Season Preview: Who will be the Mets’ kryptonite this
season?2d ago
Mets third baseman David Wright likely done playing in games this
spring3d ago

But I digress…

The real issue at hand is Wilmer’s baseball ability versus the abilities
of others.

For a moment there, Flores was becoming the forgotten man of Spring
Training. One must get through Neil Walker, Asdrubal Cabrera, Jose
Reyes, and perhaps even T.J. Rivera (and even the occasional Kelly
Johnson acquisition), before reading the name Wilmer Flores on any
infield depth chart. In the mean time, prospects Gavin Cecchini and Amed
Rosario are fast ascending the list of more desirable options.

And so Wilmer’s level of frustration both personally and professionally
is understandable. In a purely Mets point of view, all this competition
and infield depth is a very good problem to have. For Wilmer, however,
the rising level of infield talent now surrounding him puts his Mets
career at a crossroads.

In his defense, Wilmer has been utilized as a jack of all trades ever
since his 2013 rookie season, but clearly remains a master of none. One
must keep in mind, though, how the team’s dire circumstances largely
dictated his role throughout his near 350 game career with the Mets.
Therefore Terry Collins and Sandy Alderson should be held accountable
for some of Wilmer’s lack of development at any one position.

Otherwise, there’s no escaping Wilmer’s infield deficiencies. He has
always been described as someone who’ll field everything hit within his
vicinity, but little else. He simply lacks the footwork and range for
the position. We’ve seen him play exactly 162 games at short as a Met,
and know this to be true.

It’s believed second base is his best position. His .990 fielding
average over 76 career games would back that up. Comparatively, he owns
a .969 FA at short, and a .952 FA over 78 career games at third.
However, after watching him play second we know his fielding average
does not necessarily paint an accurate picture. He still suffers the
same lack of range, and executes the pivot play with great difficulty.

The hot corner is another matter. I believe Wilmer Flores can still one
day become a full time third baseman, and a legitimate slugging threat.
If not for the Mets, then somewhere else.

On this much I agree with Wilmer Flores: consistent playing time is the key.

Wilmer’s first experience with extended major league playing time came
in 2013, when he slashed .263/.295/.408, with 16 home runs and 59 RBI
through 137 games and 483 at bats.

He got off to a dreadful start last season, and landed on the disabled
list after taking a pitch on the hand in mid May. He returned to action
on May 29 a new man. For the next 84 games, Flores batted .284 with 12
doubles, 15 home runs, and 47 RBI in just 257 at bats (176 at bats less
than all of 2015).

Unfortunately, continuing pain in Wilmer’s wrist forced a premature end
to his season after a September 10 game in Atlanta.

There is a day when I believe Wilmer can be a .280/.330/.503 slasher,
with 22 home runs and about 80 or so RBI. He is only 25-years old and I
still feel his better days lay ahead. But he needs a team and manager
willing to give him a legitimate opportunity to play full time.
Next: League sources expect short suspension for Jeurys Familia

The question is no longer where do we go from here. Terry Collins
already decided that. He browbeat Wilmer Flores after verbalizing
self-confidence in his ability to be a full time contributor. I find
that odd as all hell, considering TC has been around baseball long
enough to know it takes a 40-man roster to win championships.

But I know what the old man is really doing … he doesn’t fool me.

The next move is Wilmer’s.

tmp

Mar 22, 2017, 3:12:45 PM3/22/17
On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 11:39:58 PM UTC-4, ruben safir wrote:

> Enter Terry Collins, rushing to douse Wilmer’s internal fire. Newsday’s
> Marc Carig quotes the Mets skipper after the game saying,
>
> “The one thing about his situation is you don’t have to like it;
> you’ve got to accept it and be ready to play.”
>
> I get a sense from Terry’s tone he is souring on Wilmer Flores.

Not really. I've heard Collins say that exact same thing about other players. And he's right. It's nothing against Wilmer, but the competition for roster spots and playing time is getting tougher in the Mets organization these days. That's a good thing.

And as for Wilmer, I like what he said too. I wouldn't want a player who *doesn't* want to play more. And when he does get to play, and if he tears the cover off the ball, that will make the "play me" decision for them. It will work itself out.

ruben safir

Mar 22, 2017, 6:25:03 PM3/22/17
On 03/22/2017 03:12 PM, tmp wrote:
>> I get a sense from Terry’s tone he is souring on Wilmer Flores.

> Not really. I've heard Collins say that exact same thing about
> other players. And he's right. It's nothing against Wilmer,
> but the competition for roster spots and playing time is
> getting tougher in the Mets organization these days.
> That's a good thing.

As you say this, I agree with you except that I don't have faith in
Collins and I haven'tt heard him say things like this before about
particular plays except for 3 cases, Neise, Tejadah, and Conforto.

In Neises case, he deserved it. Tejadah they ended up ditching and
Conforto's case is downright angering when he said that Michael can
learn from Jay Bruce how to rebound. REALLY, the only thing Conforto
can learn from Bruce is how to drink beer and grow fat.

> And as for Wilmer, I like what he said too. I wouldn't want a player
> who *doesn't* want to play more. And when he does get to play, and
> if he tears the cover off the ball, that will make the "play me"
> decision for them. It will work itself out.

Despite the press making it sound like Wilmer was sounding off, he was
completely not. He was calm, answering the questions, and being
expressive without being in any way confrontational.

I expect big things this year from him. This will be his year when the
prospect turns into veteran player.

tmp

Mar 22, 2017, 8:01:28 PM3/22/17
On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 6:25:03 PM UTC-4, ruben safir wrote:
> On 03/22/2017 03:12 PM, tmp wrote:
> >> I get a sense from Terry’s tone he is souring on Wilmer Flores.
>
> > Not really. I've heard Collins say that exact same thing about
> > other players. And he's right. It's nothing against Wilmer,
> > but the competition for roster spots and playing time is
> > getting tougher in the Mets organization these days.
> > That's a good thing.
>
> As you say this, I agree with you except that I don't have faith in
> Collins and I haven'tt heard him say things like this before about
> particular plays except for 3 cases, Neise, Tejadah, and Conforto.
>
> In Neises case, he deserved it. Tejadah they ended up ditching and
> Conforto's case is downright angering when he said that Michael can
> learn from Jay Bruce how to rebound. REALLY, the only thing Conforto
> can learn from Bruce is how to drink beer and grow fat.

Yeah, it's really been a tough situation for Conforto. Sooner or later they need to just put him in there and let him play - including against LHP. I really hope it happens this year, even if it doesn't start out that way.

> > And as for Wilmer, I like what he said too. I wouldn't want a player
> > who *doesn't* want to play more. And when he does get to play, and
> > if he tears the cover off the ball, that will make the "play me"
> > decision for them. It will work itself out.
>
> Despite the press making it sound like Wilmer was sounding off, he was
> completely not. He was calm, answering the questions, and being
> expressive without being in any way confrontational.
>
> I expect big things this year from him. This will be his year when the
> prospect turns into veteran player.

Keith Hernandez said during a spring game that he's coming into his own. I think he took a step forward last year when he went on that tear against LHP, and hopefully it continues this year against all pitchers.

I think he end up will see lots of playing time, even though it may not start out that way. Duda has had back problems the last 2 years now, and we know the situation at 3B. Reyes will get most of the time there to begin with, but he's never been immune to injury problems either. Flores will play.

ruben safir

Mar 22, 2017, 11:56:41 PM3/22/17
On 03/22/2017 08:01 PM, tmp wrote:
> Keith Hernandez said during a spring game that he's coming into his own.

I believe in Keith and Keith believes in Wally ;)

>I think he took a step forward last year when he went on that tear against
> LHP, and hopefully it continues this year against all pitchers.
>
> I think he end up will see lots of playing time, even though it may not
> start out that way. Duda has had back problems the last 2 years now,

Duda has that great OBP but he just has stuttered in his development and
the back might be a large part of that. The team can learn a loty from
Duda about learning to take a pitch. But I'm looking and it looks all
the world to me that Flores looks like there best 1st baseman. It is
especially nice to see him arm at 1st.

>and we know the situation at 3B. Reyes will get most of the time there
>to begin with, but he's never been immune to injury problems either. Flores will play.

Reyes hasn't hit.

Popping mad

Mar 25, 2017, 5:48:50 PM3/25/17
On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 18:36:37 -0400, ruben safir wrote:

> http://m.mlb.com/nym/video/topic/26668334/v1241602783/nymstl-flores-
great-play-at-first/?c_id=nym

> he just keeps picking it at 1st.

http://m.mlb.com/nym/video/topic/26668334/v1247258483/nymatl-flores-makes-
falling-catch-over-tarp/?c_id=nym

Beach Runner

Mar 25, 2017, 6:12:10 PM3/25/17
As I've said earlier, he is an incredible fielding first baseman.