Best Article I read on Callaway

Popping mad

Oct 24, 2017, 4:43:45 PM10/24/17
http://nypost.com/2017/10/23/mickey-callaway-won-over-mets-because-thats-what-he-does/

Sports
Mickey Callaway won over Mets because that’s what he does

By Joel Sherman

October 23, 2017 | 6:04pm
Modal Trigger
Mickey Callaway won over Mets because that’s what he does
Mickey Callaway Charles Wenzelberg/New York Post
MORE FROM:
Joel Sherman
Joel Sherman
'Raw' Hal Steinbrenner speaks as big Yankees offseason begins
Mickey Callaway's last step to being a successful manager is the toughest
How the Yankees can finish 2018 as World Series champs
Yankees' future is bright, but that's little consolation right now
Joe Girardi has been a Yankees constant in a decade of change

Have you heard the one about Mickey Callaway walking into a room?

He never goes in the favorite. He never leaves without a job.

Three times with the Indians and now for the managing gig with the Mets, Callaway began an interview process as an underdog. So, he now has as many wins in the job market (four) as in his journeyman major league career.

The Callaway pattern begins with a foot — by getting it in the door — and then he overwhelms future bosses with brains and heart.

“I can remember what he was wearing, that is the kind of impression he left,” said Blue Jays GM Ross Atkins of the first time he sat down with Callaway. It was 2008. Atkins was the Indians farm director. Callaway was 33, had just made the last of his pro pitching stops in Laredo in an independent league after three years in Korea.

Atkins had a Low-A pitching coach job open. He had a relationship with John Courtright, Callaway’s agent. Courtright had a feeling the think-tank philosophy of the Indians would fit his client’s curiosity, smarts and need to learn. Atkins thought he was doing a friend, Courtright, a favor. He met Callaway at the Indians’ minor league complex in Goodyear, Ariz.
Modal Trigger
Ross AtkinsAP

“The interview begins and you do so many and some guys just stand out, and it was obvious from the beginning with Mickey — the intellect and authenticity,” Atkins said by phone. “I thought we will continue the [interview] process, but I am offering this guy a job. I was thinking I am not letting this guy interview for the Boston Red Sox or whatever. I’m not going to compete for him. I’m going to hire him.”

To Atkins, it was “abundantly clear” that Callaway had been thinking about coaching and what his values would be and how he would teach while he was playing. He brought that and confidence in himself to the process, and validated Atkins’ beliefs by doing well in the job and moving to High-A Kingston the following season.

He had just those two coaching seasons when the minor league pitching coordinator position opened.

“He was not a lead candidate,” Atkins said.

But, by then, Atkins and Callaway had become good friends, and Atkins thought it would be good for Callaway’s future to go through the interviews for this kind of slot.