Mets-Phillies features top-flight pitching matchup

*ernie

Aug 17, 2018, 1:17:01 PM8/17/18
No matter how much they've hit the last few games, pitching is, and
always will be, the Mets forte.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mets-phillies-features-top-flight-pitching-matchup/

Two of baseball's best young pitchers will square off Friday night in
Philadelphia.

Aaron Nola (13-3, 2.28 ERA) and Noah Syndergaard (8-2, 3.22) will face
each other in a marquee pitching matchup as the Philadelphia Phillies
and the New York Mets meet for the third time in two days at Citizens
Bank Park.

The teams split a Thursday doubleheader. The Mets opened with a 24-4
win in Game 1 before the Phillies bounced back with a 9-6 victory in
Game 2.

Nola and Syndergaard, both 25-year-old right-handers, have had plenty
of success in their brief big league careers. While Syndergaard has
been plagued by injuries for the last two seasons, Nola has had a
breakout campaign in 2018.

A Cy Young Award contender, Nola ranked third among National League
starters in ERA (2.28), third in WHIP (1.000), fifth in innings
pitched (154) and seventh in strikeouts (149) as of Wednesday.

Nola has allowed one earned run or less in 13 of his 24 starts this
season, including his last outing when the All-Star tossed six
scoreless innings against the San Diego Padres. Nola worked around
four hits and three walks in his 13th victory of the year.

"He did a great job for us and he had to work early on," Phillies
manager Gabe Kapler told MLB.com after Nola's last start. "He had some
traffic and some jams to work out of. He did a tremendous job working
out of those jams."

The Phillies are 17-7 in Nola's starts this season, and they could use
another win Friday night as they chase the Atlanta Braves in the NL
East. The Phillies (67-54) enter the weekend 1 1/2 games behind the
Braves.

Nola is 4-1 with a 3.71 ERA in six career starts against the Mets. One
of those wins came April 20, 2017, in his only matchup against
Syndergaard before Friday.

That loss is Syndergaard's only one against the Phillies in seven
career starts. He is 4-1 overall with a 2.06 ERA and 11.2 strikeout
rate when facing Philadelphia.

Syndergaard's numbers in 2018 haven't been quite that good, but he has
pitched well as he has worked around two disabled list stints -- a
seven-week sidelining for a finger strain and a weeklong stay for
hand, foot and mouth disease.

Syndergaard has a 3.56 ERA and the Mets are 4-1 in his five starts
since he returned from the finger injury. He went seven innings
against the Miami Marlins in his last outing, allowing three runs and
striking out seven. It was his highest strikeout total since he
punched out eight against the Milwaukee Brewers on May 25.

"I felt a lot better mechanically today," Syndergaard told MLB.com
after the game. "Worked on it a lot in between starts and I felt
really comfortable out there. Really had to dig deep in that seventh
inning to get through it."

ernie k.
already...@hotmail.com
ernie k.
already...@hotmail.com

ruben safir

Aug 17, 2018, 1:24:16 PM8/17/18
On 08/17/2018 01:16 PM, *ernie wrote:
> No matter how much they've hit the last few games, pitching is, and
> always will be, the Mets forte.

don't give a fuck. They would need to pay me to watch

*ernie

Aug 17, 2018, 5:07:31 PM8/17/18
On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 13:23:58 -0400, ruben safir <ru...@mrbrklyn.com>
wrote:
My wife has been so happy this summer. I hardly ever suggest to her
"Let's put the Mets game on". I catch a few innings here and there. I
miss watching games that mean something.

matt....@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2018, 5:28:06 PM8/17/18
It is a funny thing. Grew up watching the mets during <mumble>. They almost never won. But I loved them anyway. Watched Kranepool come up and through his career. Watched Tom Seaver become the face of the franchise and then leave. Listened to that nightmare on a transistor radio on Atlantic Beach.

The 70s was watching games late at night, Kingman hitting monster home runs in San Diego at 12 am. Craig Swan. Lee Mazilli.

Yeah, I was there in 86 when they won it all. Even went to a few games, in spite of living out of state at the time.

So, mind watching games when they lose? No.

I'm a Met fan. Maybe that's dumb, but honestly, aside from Pops, I suspect I'm older than most here. So, ya know, deal with it.

*ernie

Aug 17, 2018, 8:52:02 PM8/17/18
I'm 'only' 61 and from the Bronx but I've always bled the blue and
orange. My mom used to drag me to old Shea back in '65-'66'and I've been
a fan ever since. I practically lived at Shea in '69. I have field grass
from the night we clinched the east vs. the Cardinals (Agee and Ed
Charles homered that night). I've always told my son that's the most
valuable thing he owns that's worth nothing because you can't prove it.
I married a girl like my father; she hates sports. I can always convince
her to watch when the games are good; it's not worth the argument when
they suck. I still watch and follow, just not as intently.

ruben safir

Aug 18, 2018, 9:26:35 PM8/18/18
On 08/17/2018 05:28 PM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> It is a funny thing. Grew up watching the mets during <mumble>. They almost never won.

this team is more depressing and a bigger violation of fans trust than
those.

Bob4Health

Aug 18, 2018, 9:34:51 PM8/18/18
Just for you, deGroom pitched a complete game. Somehow if the pitcher makes the error, should it really be an unearned run?

ruben safir

Aug 19, 2018, 12:22:59 AM8/19/18
On 08/18/2018 09:34 PM, Bob4Health wrote:
> Just for you, deGroom pitched a complete game. Somehow if the pitcher makes the error, should it really be an unearned run?

yeah - I agree