Reyes in Center Fielder

ruben safir

May 14, 2017, 11:04:24 AM5/14/17
For what possible purpose with Terry Collins put Reyes in the line up at
all, let alone in CF.

tmp

May 14, 2017, 12:42:27 PM5/14/17
On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 11:04:24 AM UTC-4, ruben safir wrote:
> For what possible purpose with Terry Collins put Reyes in the line up at
> all, let alone in CF.

For one thing, that was in the bottom of the 6th inning, and the game was over anyway (10-4 Brewers). But this was talked about in spring training as a way of finding another place for him to play. I doubt that it will ever get much traction.

TJ has locked down 3B for now (and deservedly so), so Reyes will mostly be in a backup IF role for now. Of course, at the next season ending injury (by my math, they're due for another one at about 2:37 PM today), he could quickly be back to a starting role again.

ruben safir

May 14, 2017, 12:54:36 PM5/14/17
He doesn't belong on the field at this point, and should be choice 4 or
five.

My 3rd base depth chart is
Flores
Rivera
Cecchini
Reyes

My SS Depth chart is
Rosario
Cabrara
Cecchini
Reyes
Flores

My 2nd base depth chart is
Rivera
Walker
Flores
Cecchini
Reyes

1st base depth chart
Flores
Duda
Rivera

Catcher
D'arnaud
Palwauki
Rivera - the other one
Reyes

Reyes does not belong in an OF with Nemmo, Conforto and Cepedes with
Bruce, Granderson, and Largurus is reserve.

tmp

May 15, 2017, 11:09:31 AM5/15/17
Agree there's no reason to play Reyes in the outfield, except as an emergency measure.

There are several workable combinations of their infield players, and I'm not sure if it makes too much difference how they do it - EXCEPT I think it's very important to keep TJ Rivera in the lineup somewhere. He has earned it. I also think he will be at his best defensively if he plays on the right side of the infield (either 1B or 2B).

But the lineup is not their problem right now anyway. They have the worst pitching staff in baseball, at least by ERA. How many had THAT on their list of preseason predictions? (hint: I sure as hell didn't)