Finally - Wheeler to the Pen

ruben safir

Feb 21, 2018, 10:45:06 PM2/21/18
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-plan-start-zack-wheeler-bullpen-source-article-1.3832120?utm_content=buffer3de9c&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=NYDNSports+Twitter&utm_source=twitter.com

This is where he belongs and I think he can be a real force out the pen.
He just doesn't have the control to start. In the pen he can simplify
and focus on what he does well.

tmp

Feb 23, 2018, 9:06:25 AM2/23/18
Except that Mickey Callaway has since said this:

“He’s definitely a starting pitcher,” manager Mickey Callaway said. “For us to be the best possible team we can be we have to have him be a starter. He is going to go out there and do everything he can to win this competition we have going on.”
https://nypost.com/2018/02/22/zack-wheeler-to-the-bullpen-not-so-fast/

Actually, if he continues to pitch like he did last season, he may not be either one; a starter or a reliever. He has to fight for his spot now, and that may be a good thing. Let's see what he does this spring. He is starting their first spring game today against Atlanta.

ruben safir

Feb 23, 2018, 7:03:52 PM2/23/18
On 02/23/2018 09:06 AM, tmp wrote:
> Actually, if he continues to pitch like he did last season, he may not be either one; a starter or a reliever. He has to fight for his spot now, and that may be a good thing. Let's see what he does this spring. He is starting their first spring game today against Atlanta.

he pitched better than Harvey, FWIW.

tmp

Feb 24, 2018, 7:13:43 AM2/24/18
True, he did overall. His last 6 starts were really bad though. He had a 9.89 ERA over those games, and averaged about 4 IP per start. The opposition batters hit .358 with a 1.124 OPS against him during those games. I guess he was just wearing down, the result of not having pitched for 2 full seasons.

matt....@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2018, 8:19:12 AM2/24/18
Not too worried about those starts. The kid hasn't thrown a baseball for 2 years, and you worry about him after a bunch of starts? His velocity is good, his control looks good. He'll be fine.

tmp

Feb 24, 2018, 10:14:15 AM2/24/18
On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 8:19:12 AM UTC-5, matt....@gmail.com wrote:

>The kid hasn't thrown a baseball for 2 years, and you worry about him after a bunch of starts?

Hey, relax Matt. I did explain that I thought it was the 2 season layoff that caused the tail off.

matt....@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2018, 3:18:26 PM2/24/18
Sorry, that must have come across more harsh than I meant. I just meant I wasn't worried about it. Wasn't going off on you at all.

I'm checking out the game today. Guillorme hit a home run. Isn't this kid supposed to be all glove, no bat?

tmp

Feb 26, 2018, 11:05:51 AM2/26/18
No problem. As far as Guillorme, based on his minor league stats, he's not a bad hitter for BA (.285) and OBP (.360), but he lacks power (2 HR over 5 seasons). He wouldn't be a bad utility infielder - he can play both middle infield positions.

Don't know if you saw it, but last year in spring training he caught a bat that was flying into the Mets dugout with one hand (the hitter lost it on a swing). It was a classic - he definitely showed he has good hands!

tmp

Feb 26, 2018, 11:15:05 AM2/26/18
FWIW, here's the video of Guillorme catching the bat last spring training:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjMJfDXW64s

Jim S.....

Feb 26, 2018, 8:40:31 PM2/26/18
For now

matt....@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2018, 3:13:59 PM2/28/18
I did see it, it was incredible. The kid is a vacuum cleaner. He surprised me when I saw him, I was expecting someone taller and thinner.

Ruben Safir

Mar 8, 2018, 8:51:54 PM3/8/18
tmp <tmps...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 10:45:06 PM UTC-5, ruben safir wrote:
>> http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-plan-start-zack-wheeler-bullpen-source-article-1.3832120?utm_content=buffer3de9c&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=NYDNSports+Twitter&utm_source=twitter.com
>>
>> This is where he belongs and I think he can be a real force out the pen.
>> He just doesn't have the control to start. In the pen he can simplify
>> and focus on what he does well.
>
> Except that Mickey Callaway has since said this:
>
> ?He?s definitely a starting pitcher,? manager Mickey Callaway said. ?For us to be the best possible team we can be we have to have him be a starter. He is going to go out there and do everything he can to win this competition we have going on.?
> https://nypost.com/2018/02/22/zack-wheeler-to-the-bullpen-not-so-fast/
>

> Actually, if he continues to pitch like he did last season, he may not be either one; a starter or a reliever. He has to fight for his spot now, and that may be a good thing. Let's see what he does this spring. He is starting their first spring game today against Atlanta.

Well, the latest is that Matz is failing to win a job and Wheeler is
being considered as the most likely starter. It makes no sense to me.

Ruben Safir

Mar 8, 2018, 8:53:22 PM3/8/18
tmp <tmps...@gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW, here's the video of Guillorme catching the bat last spring training:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjMJfDXW64s

he has to hit. If he hits, he might be the SS