Why the Mets hung onto Devin Mesoraco, Jacob deGrom's personal catcher

*ernie

Feb 15, 2019, 11:47:50 PM2/15/19

It won't take long for Mesoraco to be on the major league roster.
Travis d’Arnaud is one prolonged slump or prolonged injury away for
getting released. He came with a reputation as an offensive catcher.
Except for brief outbreaks, he spends more time in a slump and on the
DL. NO loss if they cut him

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-sports-devin-mesoraco-jacob-degrom-20190215-story.html

PORT ST. LUCIE – After the Mets signed catcher Wilson Ramos in
December, former All-Star Devin Mesoraco looked like a spare part.

Mesoraco was granted free agency at the end of October last year.
After months of speculation on a possible end to his short stint with
the Mets, they signed the catcher to a minor-league contract at the
beginning of February for one reason: Jacob deGrom.

Mesoraco caught 21 of deGrom’s 32 games in his Cy Young year.

On top of that, the battery built a special relationship last season.
Though Mesoraco is expected to start the year in the minors, he serves
as the team’s perfect backup plan in the event Ramos or Travis
d’Arnaud sustain even the smallest of injuries.

“I think that me and Jake developed a great relationship last year,”
Mesoraco said. “It wasn’t a difficult thing to work on. Really, I did
what I would do for anybody else and he took to that well.”

ernie k.
already...@hotmail.com

tmp

Feb 17, 2019, 11:09:34 AM2/17/19
You're not wrong about d'Arnaud, but pretty much the same is also true of Mesoraco.

He's been pretty injury prone himself. He's about a year older than d'Arnaud, and yet has just 1574 career PA vs 1469 for Travis. Not much difference. Offensively, they're about the same as far as career OPS; .715 for Mesoraco and .712 for d'Arnaud.

It's definitely good to have Mesoraco around though, especially since deGrom likes pitching to him. They'll need both him and Nido, and probably more, before the season is over.

Bill

Feb 17, 2019, 2:10:07 PM2/17/19
On 2/17/2019 11:09 AM, tmp wrote:

> You're not wrong about d'Arnaud, but pretty much the same is also
> true of Mesoraco.
>
> He's been pretty injury prone himself. He's about a year older than
> d'Arnaud, and yet has just 1574 career PA vs 1469 for Travis. Not
> much difference. Offensively, they're about the same as far as career
> OPS; .715 for Mesoraco and .712 for d'Arnaud.
>
> It's definitely good to have Mesoraco around though, especially since
> deGrom likes pitching to him. They'll need both him and Nido, and
> probably more, before the season is over.

Hopefully Ramos catches most of the games and we're just worrying about
who the backup catcher is for a game or two a week.

*ernie

Feb 17, 2019, 11:46:15 PM2/17/19
On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 14:10:03 -0500, Bill <bill...@prodigy.net>
wrote:
Ramos will start the majority of games, but Callaway will try to give
d'Arnaud as many at bats as possible early in the season. If he
doesn't hit impressively, or winds back on the DL for any length of
time, he'll be released or traded and Mesoraco will be elevated to #2,