Matt Harvey might be toast

Popping mad

Sep 18, 2017, 10:30:28 PM9/18/17
his run totals are off the scale at this point

Beach Runner

Sep 19, 2017, 5:40:10 PM9/19/17
On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 7:30:28 PM UTC-7, Popping mad wrote:
> his run totals are off the scale at this point

He along with Collins have no idea what is going on. He simply loses command of the ball. Maybe people are expecting him to get back too quickly. Let him heal and throw lightly for the winter. Then let him start spring training fresh and we'll see what we have.

Hopefully the Mets will have expert pitching coaching, be able to spot what has changed in his mechanics, he doesn't have to throw 95 mph every pitch.

It's hard to believe he's completely done for at his age, not when he can throw in the mid 90s. He's just off and not able to implement his plan.

matt....@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2017, 6:08:19 AM9/20/17
From my limited viewing, it appears to be something off with his grip, which might have come from the surgery. He will have a really lively fastball with one pitch, then a flat nothing with the next. The curve is also very hit or miss. That's what is killing him right now, not velocity or even location. There's no movement, which comes from the grip and twist.

Matt

ruben safir

Sep 20, 2017, 1:53:51 PM9/20/17
On 09/20/2017 06:08 AM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> From my limited viewing, it appears to be something off with his grip,

I'm not sure what that means. Its like saying the problem is he can't
throw accurately because he can't hold the ball. That is like saying I
love Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches but the Peanut stuff is a problem.

He's toast, and they should have traded him when Boras was being a PIA.

I bet he wishes he pitched 300 innings in 2015 now because he chance at
glory is past now.

ruben safir

Sep 20, 2017, 1:54:49 PM9/20/17
On 09/20/2017 06:08 AM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> From my limited viewing, it appears to be something off with his grip, which

knuckleball

ruben safir

Sep 20, 2017, 1:55:49 PM9/20/17
On 09/20/2017 06:08 AM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> here's no movement, which comes from the grip and twist.

no that is from over throwing. He actually needs to cut back on the
velocity, if anything works at all.

Beach Runner

Sep 20, 2017, 4:22:22 PM9/20/17
I think he should spend some time pitching in the minors, re-learning
to pitch like a cagey veteran. He could use a real pitching coach. A pitcher that has actually come back as a veteran and learned to pitch without a blazing fastball. Pitchers that actually knew how to pitch 200+ inning year after year.

He is very rusty and needs to change speeds, fool batters, and have batters come back confused. He can spot his fastball, where it will be effective. He needs to experiment with using more of his off speed
pitches and gain more experience with them.

And, there's plenty of video of him when he was consistent. They need to find what changed in his mechanics.

ruben safir

Sep 20, 2017, 5:26:47 PM9/20/17
On 09/20/2017 04:22 PM, Beach Runner wrote:
> needs to change speeds, fool batters

Colon threw almost exclusively fastballs.

ruben safir

Sep 20, 2017, 5:34:35 PM9/20/17
On 09/20/2017 04:22 PM, Beach Runner wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 10:55:49 AM UTC-7, ruben safir wrote:
>> On 09/20/2017 06:08 AM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
>>> here's no movement, which comes from the grip and twist.
>>

>> no that is from over throwing. He actually needs to cut back on the
>> velocity, if anything works at all.
>
> I think he should spend some time pitching in the minors, re-learning
> to pitch like a cagey veteran. He could use a real pitching coach. A pitcher that has actually come back as a veteran and learned to pitch without a blazing fastball. Pitchers that actually knew how to pitch 200+ inning year after year.
>
> He is very rusty and needs to change speeds,

FWIW, I think DADA Colon only threw a fastball..

matt....@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2017, 11:52:22 AM9/21/17
He did. However, he threw them at 12 different speeds from 12 different angles. It might as well have been an arsenal of pitches.

Matt

matt....@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2017, 11:53:51 AM9/21/17
On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 1:53:51 PM UTC-4, ruben safir wrote:
> On 09/20/2017 06:08 AM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> > From my limited viewing, it appears to be something off with his grip,
>
> I'm not sure what that means. Its like saying the problem is he can't
> throw accurately because he can't hold the ball. That is like saying I
> love Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches but the Peanut stuff is a problem.

Well, ya know, if you love PB&J but hate peanut butter .. you got issues :)
No, what this means is that he might have changed the way in which he is gripping the
ball, and it is not coming out of his hand cleanly. That would explain why he's throwing
at 96, but the ball is dead flat.

> He's toast, and they should have traded him when Boras was being a PIA.
>
> I bet he wishes he pitched 300 innings in 2015 now because he chance at
> glory is past now.

I doubt it. I suspect he'll come back. Whether it is next year, the year after, or four years down the road, I think he'll be dominant once more.

Matt