Aldersons Development and drafts

ruben safir

Aug 9, 2018, 12:17:04 PM8/9/18
I am sort of sick of hearing about how bad Aldersons' development was
and how great Minaya was.

Minaya sucked. Whever he drafted he would have traded and his drafts
were crap, as a matter of fact. The system is not just drafting anyway,
but also development. If Alderson benefited from Minaya's acquisitions,
better for him, because Minaya wasn't going to do that. Minaya came
from the school that said prospects are chips to trade to get major
league ready veterans. I hate management like that. I want to be
attached to players as they develop and they become part of our family.

Look at the 1st round drafts of the Mets over the years

1965 Les Rohr Left-handed pitcher West High School
(Billings, Montana) 2 [14]
1966 Steve Chilcott Catcher Antelope Valley High School
(Lancaster, California) 1 [15]
1967 Jon Matlack Left-handed pitcher Henderson High School
(West Chester, Pennsylvania) 4 [16]
1968 Tim Foli Shortstop Notre Dame High School
(Sherman Oaks, California) 1 [17]
1969 Randy Sterling Right-handed pitcher Key West High School
(Key West, Florida) 4 [18]
1970 George Ambrow* Shortstop Long Beach Polytechnic High School
(Long Beach, California) 23 [19]
1971 Rich Puig Second baseman Hillsborough High School
(Tampa, Florida) 14 [20]
1972 Richard Bengston Catcher Richwoods High School
(Peoria, Illinois) 13 [21]
1973 Lee Mazzilli '86 Outfielder Abraham Lincoln High School
(Brooklyn, New York) 14 [22]
1974 Cliff Speck Right-handed pitcher Beaverton High School
(Beaverton, Oregon) 17 [23]
1975 Butch Benton Catcher Godby High School
(Tallahassee, Florida) 6 [24]
1976 Tom Thurberg Outfielder South Weymouth High School
(Weymouth, Massachusetts) 13 [25]
1977 Wally Backman '86 Shortstop Aloha High School
(Aloha, Oregon) 16 [26]
1978 Hubie Brooks Outfielder Arizona State University
(Tempe, Arizona) 3 [27]
1979 Tim Leary Right-handed pitcher UCLA
(Los Angeles, California) 2 [28]
1980 Darryl Strawberry '86 Outfielder Crenshaw High School
(Los Angeles, California) 1 [29]
1980 Billy Beane Outfielder Mount Carmel High School
(San Diego, California) 23[a]
1980 John Gibbons Catcher MacArthur High School
(San Antonio, Texas) 24[b]
1981 Terry Blocker Outfielder Tennessee State University
(Nashville, Tennessee) 4 [30]
1982 Dwight Gooden '86 Right-handed pitcher Hillsborough High School
(Tampa, Florida) 5 [31]
1983 Eddie Williams Third baseman Hoover High School
(San Diego, California) 4 [32]
1983 Stan Jefferson Outfielder Bethune-Cookman College
(Daytona Beach, Florida) 20[c]
1983 Calvin Schiraldi Right-handed pitcher University of Texas at Austin
(Austin, Texas) 27§[d]
1984 Shawn Abner Outfielder Mechanicsburg Area High School
(Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania) 1 [33]
1985 Gregg Jefferies Shortstop Serra High School
(San Mateo, California) 20 [34]
1986 Lee May Outfielder Purcell Marian High School
(Cincinnati) 21 [35]
1987 Chris Donnels Third baseman Loyola Marymount University
(Los Angeles, California) 24 [36]
1988 Dave Proctor Right-handed pitcher Allen County CC
(Iola, Kansas) 21 [37]
1989 Alan Zinter Catcher University of Arizona
(Tucson, Arizona) 24 [38]
1990 Jeromy Burnitz Outfielder Oklahoma State University
(Stillwater, Oklahoma) 17 [39]
1991 Al Shirley Outfielder George Washington High School
(Danville, Virginia) 18[e] [40]
1991 Bobby Jones Right-handed pitcher California State University, Fresno
(Fresno, California) 36§[f]
1992 Preston Wilson Shortstop Bamberg Ehrhardt High School
(Bamberg, South Carolina) 9 [41]
1992 Chris Roberts Left-handed pitcher Florida State University
(Tallahassee, Florida) 18[g]
1992 Jon Ward Right-handed pitcher Huntington Beach High School
(Huntington Beach, California) 30§[h]
1993 Kirk Presley Right-handed pitcher Tupelo High School
(Tupelo, Mississippi) 8 [42]
1994 Paul Wilson Right-handed pitcher Florida State University
(Tallahassee, Florida) 1 [43]
1994 Terrence Long First baseman Stanhope Elmore High School
(Millbrook, Alabama) 20[i]
1994 Jay Payton Outfielder Georgia Institute of Technology
(Atlanta, Georgia) 29§[j]
1995 Ryan Jaroncyk Shortstop Orange Glen High School
(Escondido, California) 18 [44]
1996 Robert Stratton Outfielder San Marcos High School
(San Marcos, California) 13 [45]
1997 Geoff Goetz Left-handed pitcher Jesuit High School
(Tampa, Florida) 6 [46]
1998 Jason Tyner Outfielder Texas A&M
(College Station, Texas) 21 [47]
1999 no first-round pick[k] [3]
2000 Billy Traber Left-handed pitcher Loyola Marymount University
(Los Angeles, California) 16[l] [48]
2000 Bobby Keppel Right-handed pitcher De Smet Jesuit High School
(Creve Coeur, Missouri) 36§[m]
2001 Aaron Heilman Right-handed pitcher University of Notre Dame
(Notre Dame, Indiana) 18[n] [49]
2001 David Wright Third baseman Hickory High School
(Chesapeake, Virginia) 38§[o]
2002 Scott Kazmir Left-handed pitcher Cypress Falls High School
(Houston, Texas) 15 [50]
2003 Lastings Milledge Outfielder Lakewood Ranch High School
(Bradenton, Florida) 12 [51]
2004 Philip Humber Right-handed pitcher Rice University
(Houston, Texas) 3 [52]
2005 Mike Pelfrey Right-handed pitcher Wichita State University
(Wichita, Kansas) 9 [53]
2006 no first-round pick[p] [3]
2007 Eddie Kunz Right-handed pitcher Oregon State University
(Corvallis, Oregon) 42§[q] [54]
2007 Nathan Vineyard Left-handed pitcher Woodland High School
(Cartersville, Georgia) 47§[r]
2008 Ike Davis First baseman Arizona State University
(Tempe, Arizona) 18[s] [55]
2008 Reese Havens Shortstop University of South Carolina
(Columbia, South Carolina) 22
2008 Bradley Holt Right-handed pitcher University of North Carolina
at Wilmington
(Wilmington, North Carolina) 33§[t]
2009 no first-round pick[u] [3]
2010 Matt Harvey Right-handed pitcher University of North Carolina at
Chapel Hill
(Chapel Hill, North Carolina) 7 [56]

Aldersons Picks

2011 Brandon Nimmo Outfielder Cheyenne East High School
(Cheyenne, Wyoming) 13 [57]
2011 Michael Fulmer Right-handed pitcher Deer Creek High School
(Edmond, Oklahoma) 44§[v] [57]
2012 Gavin Cecchini Shortstop Barbe High School
(Lake Charles, Louisiana) 12 [58]
2012 Kevin Plawecki Catcher Purdue University
(West Lafayette, Indiana) 35§[w] [58]
2013 Dominic Smith First baseman Serra High School
(Gardena, California) 11 [59]
2014 Michael Conforto Outfielder Oregon State University
(Corvallis, Oregon) 10 [60]
2015 no first-round pick[u] [3]
2016 Justin Dunn Right-handed pitcher Boston College
(Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts) 19
2016 Anthony Kay Left-handed pitcher University of Connecticut
(Storrs, Connecticut) 31§[w]
2017 David Peterson Left-handed pitcher University of Oregon
(Eugene, Oregon) 20 [61]
2018 Jarred Kelenic Outfielder Waukesha West High School (Wisconsin) 6

Nimmo, Fulmer, Plawecki, and Conforto are all ML first line starters
which is about equal to the entire rest of the Mets history of #1 draft
choices whos first decent pick was Matlack. There has never been a
richer and consistent selection of first round picks

Bob4Health

Aug 9, 2018, 4:38:09 PM8/9/18
I agree. It's a good business decision to keep players and let the fans come to know and love them.

Don't keep getting rid of the fans favorites, because they are generally really good players.

But, the management can't let the fans make decisions for them, as they are very impatient.'

tmp

Aug 11, 2018, 9:11:53 AM8/11/18
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 12:17:04 PM UTC-4, ruben safir wrote:

> Nimmo, Fulmer, Plawecki, and Conforto are all ML first line starters
> which is about equal to the entire rest of the Mets history of #1 draft
> choices whos first decent pick was Matlack. There has never been a
> richer and consistent selection of first round picks

You're not helping your case by calling Plawecki a "ML first line starter". He has yet to become an established starting player in the majors. And he has yet to have more than 258 PA in a season (200+ PA only once), and is hitting .221 with a .633 OPS in the major leagues. Defensively he is nothing special.

I can agree that Alderson's 1st round picks, as a group, don't look bad right now, but that will be better evaluated in 10 to 15 years. We don't don't yet what Cecchini's career will be. Or Dominic Smith's, or many of the others.

Plus, teams aren't built with just 1st round picks. The Mets minor league system is currently ranked near the bottom, and below all the other teams in their own division. Admittedly, some of that is because of some of the short term trades they made starting in 2015 to go for the pennant.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/3/21/17149090/2018-mlb-farm-system-rankings

ruben safir

Aug 12, 2018, 1:19:12 AM8/12/18
On 08/11/2018 09:11 AM, tmp wrote:
> Plus, teams aren't built with just 1st round picks. The Mets minor league system is currently ranked near the bottom,

I am sick of hearing that. First I don't care. The rating system has
never been good. Secondly, they just promoted in the last 3 years
Rosario, Synderguard, Matz, Conforto, Lugo, Gsellesman and Nimmo just
for starters and traded Fulmer.

not to mention that Wheeler, Degrom, D'Armuad, Palwaki, and Flores all
came out of the system. It is not like the last 5 years that they have
been dry as a bone.

Compared to the Dodgers, they might be a little behind, but this has not
been a barren farm system.

tmp

Aug 12, 2018, 10:30:12 AM8/12/18
On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 1:19:12 AM UTC-4, ruben safir wrote:
> On 08/11/2018 09:11 AM, tmp wrote:
> > Plus, teams aren't built with just 1st round picks. The Mets minor league system is currently ranked near the bottom,
>

> I am sick of hearing that. First I don't care. The rating system has
> never been good. Secondly, they just promoted in the last 3 years
> Rosario, Synderguard, Matz, Conforto, Lugo, Gsellesman and Nimmo just
> for starters and traded Fulmer.
>
> not to mention that Wheeler, Degrom, D'Armuad, Palwaki, and Flores all
> came out of the system. It is not like the last 5 years that they have
> been dry as a bone.

d'Arnaud (who never plays), Plawecki, and Flores are not plus players. They are basically organizational filler. They need SOME plus position players. Right now this year, of the guys who are actually playing, they have maybe Nimmo.

> Compared to the Dodgers, they might be a little behind, but this has not
> been a barren farm system.

Meanwhile, the Dodgers went to the Series last year, and are tied for 1st right now, despite some serious injuries. And the Mets lost 90 games last year and are struggling to stay out of last place this year.

I'm not saying the Mets farm system is dry as a bone. Some good players are there now and coming. But not enough. They don't measure up to the better organizations. Not even close. That's why they fall apart when the injuries hit while teams with stronger farm systems can hang in much better.