Vargas Signing

ruben safir

Feb 18, 2018, 6:53:42 PM2/18/18
In terms of giving them steady innings this is likely a huge improvement
for the team. He is a virtually dead even average pitcher over a decent
length of time.

Now if you think of all the players they added, Fraizer, Vargas, Reyes,
Gonzales, and Jay Bruce... they would have done better with just Votto
or Stanton. They have invested millions of dollars in being just below
average.

Bob4Health

Feb 19, 2018, 6:09:31 PM2/19/18
As, I've been saying, the team can never have enough pitching.

Keeubie Plaffies

Feb 19, 2018, 6:32:11 PM2/19/18
Golly gee Wile E., for someone who considers himself a super-genius the
best you can do is quote a tired cliche?

ruben safir

Feb 19, 2018, 11:13:06 PM2/19/18
On 02/19/2018 06:09 PM, Bob4Health wrote:
> As, I've been saying, the team can never have enough pitching.

And a line up of Stanton, Areneda, Votto, Conforto and Cespede would
make them pitch better

tmp

Feb 20, 2018, 6:51:03 AM2/20/18
Vargus should help to stabilize the rotation. As far as what they *could* of done, how about building a better minor league system? That's my main gripe about this team. They are not consistently drafting and developing young players.

The Bleacher Report has them ranked 29th out of 30 teams right now. Not only that, but 2 teams in their division, the Braves and Phillies, are ranked 1st and 6th.

This 2018 team may contend if enough things go right and they don't get destroyed by injuries. But even if that happens, it most likely won't last.

Bob4Health

Feb 20, 2018, 7:01:55 AM2/20/18
I said exactly what the Mets professional pitching coach said, and it's what I said last year when the Mets pitching fell apart. I was right.

You never posted in this group until you posted your homophonbic idiocy.

Ruben Safir

Feb 20, 2018, 3:15:45 PM2/20/18
Inability to build minor league system just corodes an organization.
When you look at the great organizatons, they always have a flow of
fresh talent coming through the system. Just look at the Dodgers,
Yankees, Giants, Tampa Bay.. there is never seemingly an end. Washington
also has a constant flow of prospects that seem to come from nowhere.

Boston also constantly has players.

tmp

Feb 21, 2018, 10:22:13 AM2/21/18
The Giants recently have fallen on hard times too, they are ranked just above the Mets at 28th. But at least they have one Tier 1 prospect (basically meaning a top 100 prospect across MLB). With D Smith and Rosario no longer counting, the Mets now have none.

By contrast, the Braves (1st) have 8 Tier 1 players, the White Sox (2nd) also have 8, and the Yankees (3rd) have 7.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759103-mlb-farm-system-rankings-pre-2018-spring-training-edition

I do think Dominic Smith will end up being a solid major league hitter, and probably will end playing a lot of 1B this year for the Mets. He has gotten his weight down during the off season, which is a good sign. I don't think they will get much from A Gonsalez, he has 3 bulging discs in his back, too much to overcome. But at least their just paying him MLB minimum. Wilmer will get some time there too.

Bob4Health

Feb 21, 2018, 10:47:32 AM2/21/18
My friend, I think you are exactly right. Dominick Smith will be given every opportunity to play,he is the future. I'm trusting what you said that he's in shape, out of shape he's simply worthless.

Gonzelas will be a critical role, someone who knows what he's doing. And Flores just destroy left handed pitching.

With Flores, a proven bat, and Smith I don't really see the beneifits of signing Gonzeles. All he'll he is a bat off the bench, and a playing coach for the Mets. Maybe that will be worth it.

Ruben Safir

Feb 21, 2018, 4:16:52 PM2/21/18
tmp <tmps...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759103-mlb-farm-system-rankings-pre-2018-spring-training-edition
>
> I do think Dominic Smith will end up being a solid major league hitter, and probably will end playing a lot of 1B this year for the Mets. He has gotten his weight down during the off season, which is a good sign. I don't think they will get much from A Gonsalez, he has 3 bulging discs in his back, too much to overcome. But at least their just paying him MLB minimum. Wilmer will get some time there too.

It so happens that Flores hits abot 30% better when playing 1st base or
2nd.

Bob4Health

Feb 21, 2018, 11:33:53 PM2/21/18
I think we'll see a lot of Flores playing first base. No one hit's left handed pitching better.

Ruben Safir

Mar 8, 2018, 8:49:07 PM3/8/18
Not even Jay Bruce :)

Bob4Health

Mar 9, 2018, 7:43:24 AM3/9/18
I think when the dust settles, Smith will be learning to be consistent at AAA, I think that Nimo is playing himself into a starting role, Gonzalez is done, a wasted signing. Nothing he's done shows he still has anything in the tank.

Smith, is a disappointment. I see his failings as a human being not being in the right frame of mind to be the star he could be. I bet Gonzalez is released.

We'll see a combination of Nimo, Cespedes, Bruce, and Flores playing outfield and first base, with Larges getting some time in.

I really think Nimo may shine this year. He could be a real bright spot at the top of the order.

Reyes may well be a key player, filling in at SS as Rosario seems to be, like most Mets, has connective tissues that are simply too tight. All the strains and pulled ligaments are all indications that they still have not really addressed the issue.

I think the team should hire an actual Rolfer to work on their connective tissues.

ruben safir

Mar 9, 2018, 6:02:56 PM3/9/18
On 03/09/2018 07:43 AM, Bob4Health wrote:
> I think when the dust settles, Smith will be learning to be consistent at AAA, I think that Nimo is playing himself into a starting role, Gonzalez is done, a wasted signing. Nothing he's done shows he still has anything in the tank.

If Nimo is playing CF then Jay Bruce is moving to first.