Mets are going to start loosening reins on starting pitchers

*ernie

Apr 13, 2018, 3:47:10 PM4/13/18
I grew up in the 60s when starting pitchers all went 8 or 9 innings. I
rarely remember any of them suffering the injuries today's pitchers do
if they average 7 innings per game. What gives?

https://nypost.com/2018/04/12/mets-are-going-to-start-loosening-reins-on-starting-pitchers/

It’s not against the rules for a starting pitcher to work beyond six
innings.

Zack Wheeler taught that lesson Wednesday, when he became the first
Mets starter this season to work into the seventh inning (and complete
it). Now manager Mickey Callaway is looking for more.

“They probably feel like they could have gotten off to a better start
as a whole,” Callaway said, referring to Noah Syndergaard, Jacob
deGrom, Matt Harvey and Steven Matz. “But I think it’s been just fine,
the way they are attacking. If they were walking guys and then all of
a sudden gave up a homer, I would be concerned. But they are not
walking guys, their stuff is fine. They will end up getting on a roll
and pitching deeper into games for us.”

Mets starters are averaging just over 5 ą/3 innings per appearance,
which has created extra work for the bullpen. Callaway noted he has
played it conservatively early with his starters, but expects to
loosen his grip.

“I didn’t think this early in the season it was worth it,” Callaway
said. “I wanted them to get in a good groove and be fresh and take
that extra day off. That’s why we are not shuffling around the
rotation too much when we have an off day. They are going to find that
groove pretty soon.”

After having four off days in this 10-1 start, the Mets are set to
begin a stretch Friday of 10 straight days with a game scheduled.
Callaway indicated that is a big factor in the team’s decision to
carry 13 pitchers.

ernie k.
already...@hotmail.com

ruben safir

Apr 13, 2018, 4:24:10 PM4/13/18
On 04/13/2018 03:47 PM, *ernie wrote:
> “They probably feel like they could have gotten off to a better start
> as a whole,” Callaway said, referring to Noah Syndergaard, Jacob
> deGrom, Matt Harvey and Steven Matz.

This has been the Syndergaard jinx. 6 innings and he is out, and it has
always been like that. It has been this kind of result that has made me
reject more of the stats analysis over the last couple of years. I
increasingly believe that WINS matter. A pitcher needs to get on that
mound and pitch to win, and not to the pitch count of the radar gun. I
hate to think of all the pitching careers that a being messed up.

This guy yesterday who was running a no hitter and was pulled from the
game? Glad his ERA and FIPS is protected but the Marlins lost the game.

This was how the Mets used to beat Randy Johnson all the time. He was
the stupidest pitcher in baseball. The would rack up the pitch count on
him and by the 5th inning had him on the ropes and out of the game by
the 6th inning.