Some positives ...

matt....@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2018, 2:12:56 PM8/8/18
In a lost season of injuries and awful performances, some positives:

1. Jake looks amazing. They NEED to sign him long term.
2. McNeill looks like he might be a decent second baseman. Clearly, we'll see, but he's worth a shot.
3. Mesoraco is pretty impressive behind the plate. Admittedly, not hitting all that great, but he's throwing out a lot of runners and seems to be calling a good game.
4. Looks like Conforto is starting to come out of his funk, he's swinging like he used to.
5. I actually kinda like Joey Bats, he might be a good backup next year.
6. Brandon Nimmo. Seriously, what is NOT to like about this kid?

ruben safir

Aug 8, 2018, 6:41:04 PM8/8/18
On 08/08/2018 02:12 PM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> In a lost season of injuries and awful performances, some positives:
>
> 1. Jake looks amazing. They NEED to sign him long term.

Degrom is pitching a shutout into the 6th inning and they take him out
of the game? WHy do they do this?

> 2. McNeill looks like he might be a decent second baseman. Clearly, we'll see, but he's worth a shot.

The have a gut of middle infeidlers and I never really understood why to
resign Cabrera

> 3. Mesoraco is pretty impressive behind the plate. Admittedly, not hitting all that great, but he's throwing out a lot of runners and seems to be calling a good game.

He is not terrible at bat. He is not great either, but he is a real
catcher.

> 4. Looks like Conforto is starting to come out of his funk, he's swinging like he used to.

I think he needed to recover this entire season

> 5. I actually kinda like Joey Bats, he might be a good backup next year.

> 6. Brandon Nimmo. Seriously, what is NOT to like about this kid?

He needs to hit 300.

tmp

Aug 9, 2018, 12:57:47 AM8/9/18
On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 2:12:56 PM UTC-4, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> In a lost season of injuries and awful performances, some positives:
>
> 1. Jake looks amazing. They NEED to sign him long term.

Glad to see him finally get a win. It's been a crime the way his tremendous 2018 season has been wasted.

> 2. McNeill looks like he might be a decent second baseman. Clearly, we'll see, but he's worth a shot.

I like the way he plays. I just hope they leave him alone and let him play. No platooning, no other BS.

> 3. Mesoraco is pretty impressive behind the plate. Admittedly, not hitting all that great, but he's throwing out a lot of runners and seems to be calling a good game.

Even as he's hitting, he's their best catcher. deGrom really seems to like pitching to him, that's reason enough to keep him.

> 4. Looks like Conforto is starting to come out of his funk, he's swinging like he used to.

Not really. His hitting is still very sporadic like it's been all year. In August he's hitting about .250 with about a .565 OPS, and just 2 extra base hits (2 doubles). Would love to see him end the year strong. They are a different lineup when he's hitting.

> 5. I actually kinda like Joey Bats, he might be a good backup next year.

I've changed my mind about him, after blasting the move when they got him. Not a bad guy to have around, he's versatile defensively.

> 6. Brandon Nimmo. Seriously, what is NOT to like about this kid?

The happiest player in baseball

matt....@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2018, 10:33:33 AM8/9/18
On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 6:41:04 PM UTC-4, ruben safir wrote:
> On 08/08/2018 02:12 PM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> > In a lost season of injuries and awful performances, some positives:
> >
> > 1. Jake looks amazing. They NEED to sign him long term.
>
> Degrom is pitching a shutout into the 6th inning and they take him out
> of the game? WHy do they do this?

A lot of pitches. 10 K's is 30 right there, and he was in the 6th. This game was in the bag, no reason to let him get hurt or wear out his arm. I'm not upset by this choice.

> > 2. McNeill looks like he might be a decent second baseman. Clearly, we'll see, but he's worth a shot.
>
> The have a gut of middle infeidlers and I never really understood why to
> resign Cabrera

Veteran presence, I think, and the fact that they don't really have a natural second baseman. It wasn't a bad signing, but I would have been ok if they hadn't signed him too.

> > 3. Mesoraco is pretty impressive behind the plate. Admittedly, not hitting all that great, but he's throwing out a lot of runners and seems to be calling a good game.
>
> He is not terrible at bat. He is not great either, but he is a real
> catcher.

Agreed. He's shown some flashes of hitting, and he has decent patience. I wouldn't mind resigning him either.

> > 4. Looks like Conforto is starting to come out of his funk, he's swinging like he used to.
>
> I think he needed to recover this entire season

You may be right.

> > 5. I actually kinda like Joey Bats, he might be a good backup next year.
>
> > 6. Brandon Nimmo. Seriously, what is NOT to like about this kid?
>
> He needs to hit 300.

And if he does that, he'll need to hit 400?

ruben safir

Aug 9, 2018, 12:00:31 PM8/9/18
On 08/09/2018 10:33 AM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 6:41:04 PM UTC-4, ruben safir wrote:
>> On 08/08/2018 02:12 PM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
>>> In a lost season of injuries and awful performances, some positives:
>>>
>>> 1. Jake looks amazing. They NEED to sign him long term.
>>
>> Degrom is pitching a shutout into the 6th inning and they take him out
>> of the game? WHy do they do this?
>
> A lot of pitches. 10 K's is 30 right there, and he was in the 6th. This game was in the bag, no reason to let him get hurt or wear out his arm. I'm not upset by this choice.

I saw Dwight strike out 16 without blowing up and no one would even
think of taking him out with 16 complete games and he didn't hurt his arm.

Really?? The guy is throwing a shutout and is on pace for a record
breaking strikeout performance and you take him out because of the pitch
count?

>>> 2. McNeill looks like he might be a decent second baseman. Clearly, we'll see, but he's worth a shot.
>>
>> The have a gut of middle infeidlers and I never really understood why to
>> resign Cabrera
>
> Veteran presence, I think, and the fact that they don't really have a natural second baseman. It wasn't a bad signing, but I would have been ok if they hadn't signed him too.

It was only not sensable in the sense that they had Rivera, Cecchini,
Flores, and Guillorme, not to mention Rosario...

And is Cabera a nutural secondbaseman ;)

>>> 3. Mesoraco is pretty impressive behind the plate. Admittedly, not hitting all that great, but he's throwing out a lot of runners and seems to be calling a good game.
>>
>> He is not terrible at bat. He is not great either, but he is a real
>> catcher.
>
> Agreed. He's shown some flashes of hitting, and he has decent patience. I wouldn't mind resigning him either.

To me, he is a keeper. I know that gives them 3 catchers, but that is OK.

>>> 4. Looks like Conforto is starting to come out of his funk, he's swinging like he used to.
>>
>> I think he needed to recover this entire season
>
> You may be right.
>
>>> 5. I actually kinda like Joey Bats, he might be a good backup next year.
>>
>>> 6. Brandon Nimmo. Seriously, what is NOT to like about this kid?
>>
>> He needs to hit 300.
>
> And if he does that, he'll need to hit 400?

That would be better but what he can not do is hit 250 because they will
stop walking him and just go after him and challenge him to hit it, if
he shows he can't hit.

But if he hits 300, then we are looking at a 300/425/480 25HR player and
that is AllStar material.

There is a reason big sluggers tend to be high OBP. It is not so much
plate control but fear of the pitcher to groove one over the plate.

matt....@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2018, 1:34:06 PM8/9/18
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 12:00:31 PM UTC-4, ruben safir wrote:
> On 08/09/2018 10:33 AM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:

> >> Degrom is pitching a shutout into the 6th inning and they take him out
> >> of the game? WHy do they do this?
> >
> > A lot of pitches. 10 K's is 30 right there, and he was in the 6th. This game was in the bag, no reason to let him get hurt or wear out his arm. I'm not upset by this choice.
> >

> I saw Dwight strike out 16 without blowing up and no one would even
> think of taking him out with 16 complete games and he didn't hurt his arm.
>
> Really?? The guy is throwing a shutout and is on pace for a record
> breaking strikeout performance and you take him out because of the pitch
> count?

That was during a good year, this is during a lost year. Why take the chance? Maybe he would have gotten the record, probably he wouldn't have. I rate this one an 'eh'.

> >> The have a gut of middle infeidlers and I never really understood why to
> >> resign Cabrera
> >
> > Veteran presence, I think, and the fact that they don't really have a natural second baseman. It wasn't a bad signing, but I would have been ok if they hadn't signed him too.
> >

> It was only not sensable in the sense that they had Rivera, Cecchini,
> Flores, and Guillorme, not to mention Rosario...

Cecchini has had too many injuries, Flores was going to be the backup at third and first. Rosario is their starting shortstop. I don't think Guillorme is considered a starter.

> And is Cabera a nutural secondbaseman ;)

No, but these days, it is his best position. He can't really play short anymore, and never looked comfortable at third.

> >> He is not terrible at bat. He is not great either, but he is a real
> >> catcher.
> >
> > Agreed. He's shown some flashes of hitting, and he has decent patience. I wouldn't mind resigning him either.
> >

> To me, he is a keeper. I know that gives them 3 catchers, but that is OK.

I don't think it will be three. I suspect they will non-tender dArnaud, and then sign him to a minor league deal. Plawecki does look like he might be becoming a good catcher, we'll see.

> >> I think he needed to recover this entire season
> >
> > You may be right.

> >> He needs to hit 300.
> >
> > And if he does that, he'll need to hit 400?
> >

> That would be better but what he can not do is hit 250 because they will
> stop walking him and just go after him and challenge him to hit it, if
> he shows he can't hit.

The kid can hit, I don't think anyone argues that. He sprays shots all over the field, he's not just a pull hitter.

> But if he hits 300, then we are looking at a 300/425/480 25HR player and
> that is AllStar material.

I hope you are right. I don't see any reason he can't be, but who knows.

> There is a reason big sluggers tend to be high OBP. It is not so much
> plate control but fear of the pitcher to groove one over the plate.

Yep.

ruben safir

Aug 9, 2018, 11:41:10 PM8/9/18
On 08/09/2018 01:34 PM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> The kid can hit

what is Nimmo's BA right now?

Ruben Safir

Oct 1, 2018, 9:28:29 PM10/1/18
matt....@gmail.com <matt....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > 6. Brandon Nimmo. Seriously, what is NOT to like about this kid?
>>
>> He needs to hit 300.
>
> And if he does that, he'll need to hit 400?

That would be great but the point I was making was if he doesn't hit,
then they will stop walking him and dare him to hit their best pich
straight into the strike zone. There is no sense walking a guy to an
OBP of 400 if he only hits 260. You just make him hit his way on base.