Newest Met Todd Frazier

matt....@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2018, 4:10:16 PM2/6/18

I'm not upset with this move, although there were likely better moves to make. Frazier is good in the field, an excellent clubhouse guy, and really likes being in NY.

No, he can't hit for much, but he has good power. We'll see, but I'm not at all bothered by the signing. The question to me is, are they done or is there more coming?

tmp

Feb 6, 2018, 5:04:41 PM2/6/18
On Tuesday, February 6, 2018 at 4:10:16 PM UTC-5, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm not upset with this move, although there were likely better moves to make. Frazier is good in the field, an excellent clubhouse guy, and really likes being in NY.
>
> No, he can't hit for much, but he has good power. We'll see, but I'm not at all bothered by the signing. The question to me is, are they done or is there more coming?

Even though he had a low BA (.213), he drew a good number of walks (83), and had a .344 OBP, to go with the 27 HR and the .772 OPS. And he has a pretty good history of staying the in the lineup and OFF of the DL, which for the Mets is almost the first thing you want to look for.

Two years for $17M isn't bad.

ruben safir

Feb 6, 2018, 11:28:39 PM2/6/18
On 02/06/2018 04:10 PM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm not upset with this move,

Does it make the Mets better than Houston? no. I don't think the Mets
needed to spend 17 million dollars to replace Eric Campbell. He is not
a steady player. his OBP can nose dive and likely will. He is old. He
is added to a crowded infield where I wanted to see Flores, Cecchini,
Evans, and Rivera get a chance to play, .213 .344 .428 is not a great
slash. His lifetime OPS+ is 111 and he is looking at the down side of
his career. Outside of Machado, and Arenado, there was noone else I
wanted. I want game breakers, not also rans.

And I really dislike when the Wilpons operate like this. For all the
bad press and accusations that the Wilpons supposedly don't care about
the fans, it is just the opposite. I think this deal was made because
Jeff felt he was getting criticized for not doing something.

At least they didn't something retarded and get Moose.

ruben safir

Feb 6, 2018, 11:31:00 PM2/6/18
On 02/06/2018 05:04 PM, tmp wrote:
> .772 OPS.

WHo has the higher OPS+ at seasons end? Flores or Frazier?

tmp

Feb 7, 2018, 3:09:35 PM2/7/18
They were about even last year in OPS+.......but Frazier has the higher career OPS (.779 to .725), and the higher career OPS+ (111 to 97). Frazier is better defensively. His career dWAR is 3.4, while Wilmer's is in negative territory at -3.6. We've all seen his problems throwing from 3B.

I understand they signed him for ages 32 and 33, and his numbers could go south, but I'd be more worried about that if he was 34 or 35. What I like is that he has a history of staying on the field, and off the DL.

It doesn't make them the Astros, but they could have done a lot worse.

Flores will probably get lots of time at 1B this year.

MetsFanSince71

Feb 7, 2018, 4:00:22 PM2/7/18
He's only there until David Wright returns....

Bill

Feb 7, 2018, 4:06:47 PM2/7/18
On 2/7/2018 4:00 PM, MetsFanSince71 wrote:
> He's only there until David Wright returns....

Funny!

Ruben Safir

Feb 7, 2018, 5:13:48 PM2/7/18
I'm not really trying to compare Flores to Fraizer other than make the
point that I wouldn't stack the payroll with another 17,000,000 for that
level of player. I'd just as well put that money in my pocket and see
what happens over the season and into next season.

One of the mistakes in analysising this years FA market is to forget
that most good teams are focused on Next year FA market, and don't want
to get their money tied up this year.

With regard to career numbers, Flores best years are probably this
season.

tmp

Feb 9, 2018, 9:54:39 AM2/9/18
On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 5:13:48 PM UTC-5, Ruben Safir wrote:
> tmp <tmps...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> WHo has the higher OPS+ at seasons end? Flores or Frazier?
> >
> > They were about even last year in OPS+.......but Frazier has the higher career OPS (.779 to .725), and the higher career OPS+ (111 to 97). Frazier is better defensively. His career dWAR is 3.4, while Wilmer's is in negative territory at -3.6. We've all seen his problems throwing from 3B.
> >
> > I understand they signed him for ages 32 and 33, and his numbers could go south, but I'd be more worried about that if he was 34 or 35. What I like is that he has a history of staying on the field, and off the DL.
> >
> > It doesn't make them the Astros, but they could have done a lot worse.
> >
> > Flores will probably get lots of time at 1B this year.
> >

> I'm not really trying to compare Flores to Fraizer other than make the
> point that I wouldn't stack the payroll with another 17,000,000 for that
> level of player.

It's $17 over 2 years, $8M for this year, and $9M for 2019.

> With regard to career numbers, Flores best years are probably this
> season.

Could be, and I hope so.