Brandon Nimmo was the best offensive player on the Mets in 2018

*ernie

Oct 13, 2018, 4:10:00 PM10/13/18

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2018/10/13/17958340/mets-brandon-nimmo-2018-season-review-new-york-smile

Given how the 2018 season turned out, it’s hard to believe Brandon
Nimmo was optioned to Triple-A just ten games into the year. The move
followed Michael Conforto’s return from shoulder surgery, which
resulted in fewer playing opportunities for the young outfielder.
Thankfully, Nimmo was called back up three days later and left no
doubt that he deserved a spot on the roster, developing into the
team’s most reliable offensive threat while flashing his brilliant and
infectious smile.

Drafted thirteenth overall in the 2011 MLB Draft, Nimmo — whom MLB
Pipeline ranked as the number five prospect in the farm system heading
into the 2016 season — appeared in 101 games for the New York Mets
(primarily off the bench) prior to 2018. When the Mets dealt Jay Bruce
and Curtis Granderson in August 2017, Nimmo saw his first chance to
start everyday and capitalized on the opportunity. Over the season’s
final 49 games, he posted an impressive 119 wRC+ and .804 OPS. He
exhibited excellent plate discipline (18.5% O-Swing%) and a knack for
getting on base, with a 15.1% walk rate and a .373 on-base percentage
in 186 plate appearances.

ernie k.
already...@hotmail.com

ruben safir

Oct 13, 2018, 6:07:51 PM10/13/18
On 10/13/18 4:09 PM, *ernie wrote:
> Nimmo saw his first chance to
> start everyday and capitalized on the opportunity. Over the season’s
> final 49 games, he posted an impressive 119 wRC+ and .804 OPS. He
> exhibited excellent plate discipline (18.5% O-Swing%) and a knack for
> getting on base, with a 15.1% walk rate and a .373 on-base percentage
> in 186 plate appearances.

yeah, how good is he is the question. He is a proven Major Leaguer - no
doubt. LAte in the middle of the season, pitchers learned that they had
to pitch to him and see if he hit the ball, rather than let him get on
base with walks. The result was a plumetting Batting Average and his
OBP also crashed. At the end of the year it looked like he adjusted and
begam to hit. But this leads to one to look at the fact that the late
season was extended Spring Training, total junk time with no consequences.

I am a firm supporter of Nimmo, but I don't know how good he is. Is he
a first string RFer on a WS team? That is what he needs to be or he is
just trade fodder...

ruben safir

Oct 13, 2018, 6:14:40 PM10/13/18

BTW - That Amazing Avenue podcast is the WORST one in baseball. They
are not just stupid, but they are arrogant.

ruben safir

Oct 13, 2018, 6:25:28 PM10/13/18
On 10/13/18 6:13 PM, ruben safir wrote:

> BTW - That Amazing Avenue podcast is the WORST one in baseball. They
> are not just stupid, but they are arrogant.

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2018/10/12/17876252/new-york-mets-40-man-roster-management-peter-alonso

Here is a class A example of her being an idiot. Maybe she can figure
out that Peter Alonso is not likely a franchise player and not likely
better than Flores is now.... with arthritis...

and he doesn't NEED to be on the 40 man roster... perioid.

tmp

Oct 14, 2018, 10:35:28 AM10/14/18
He ended up with a .404 OBP this year, and for the 830 PA in his career so far he is at .391. Of course nobody knows if he will maintain that, but if you're worried about Mets position players, he should be the least of your worries. He has earned the right to start until he proves otherwise, or someone better comes along. Right now, I don't see that someone on the horizon.

He's a solid all around player. Good in the field, good on the bases, and good at the plate. And he hustles on EVERY play.

tmp

Oct 14, 2018, 10:38:05 AM10/14/18
Even on walks!