Re: Quincy Jones Interview

Dresden Houndiearfums

Feb 12, 2018, 5:08:15 AM2/12/18
On 10-Feb-18 16:48, Nil wrote:
> On 10 Feb 2018, Eric Ramon <ramon...@gmail.com> wrote in
> rec.music.beatles:
>
>> I think that's what he meant, although I disagree with him about
>> Paul's ability in 1964.
>
> Me, too. Paul certainly improved over his career, but he was quite
> competent even in the early days. Some of those early parts were pretty
> simple root-five kinds of things (not that there's anything wrong with
> that,) but every once in a while he'd come out with something really
> creative and surprising. The parts weren't always easy to hear though,
> because of the recording style/quality. But "stunk"? Not by a long
> shot.

Well that settles it. If the great Nil certifies the McCartney bass
playing as "quite competent", then the discussion is over and Quinco
should be shown the door.

Im not surprised the anti-Beatles media did not report Nil's great
revelation.

Beach Runner

Feb 12, 2018, 4:32:58 PM2/12/18
The Beetles were indeed a cultural revolution. I still remember their first appearance on the Ed. Sullivan Show. I studied music as a child, and frankly was never impressed with any rock bands. I grew up learning a variety of folks songs, took serious jazz and classical guitar from when I was 12 on. I also started string bass when I was in 6th grade. I spent two years at Berklee College of Music, which were great for my brain. College at SUNY was so damn cheap in those days, I could pay for it teaching private lessons and gigging, in those days the last of the Borscht Belt hotels. I even spent a year while in NYC playing with Pucho and Latin African Soul Brothers while a grad student at Columbia University. Those days I was a catcher. Not the starting catcher. I never had a great arms, but I went through a season without a passed ball.

In 1986 I was an Adjunct Professor at Fordham University at Lincoln Center. Unfortunately, I was teaching when he Mets won the world series. You could not imagine the sound of Manhattan, it roared like I never heard anything in my life. Millions of people screaming! I guess I should watch that game again.

Beach Runner

Feb 12, 2018, 4:39:45 PM2/12/18
Maybe this evening.