Conforto Starting in Vegas...?

Hass

Mar 21, 2017, 8:56:48 PM3/21/17
http://macksmets.blogspot.com/2017/03/breaking-news-of-michael-conforto.html

Mack's Mets writer David Rubin advises that he has been told by 'sources' that outfielder Michael Conforto will begin the 2017 season in Las Vegas, The plan is for him to remain there for 55 days which will make him eligible for one more year of arbitration.

Rubin said that he also was told that the overall plan is to convert Conforto to center this season in Vegas.

ruben safir

Mar 21, 2017, 9:20:16 PM3/21/17
that would mean to me that the Mets are not interested in winning and I
not go to any games.

Hass

Mar 22, 2017, 9:38:16 AM3/22/17
We'll see I guess...posters on Mets Refugees seem to take this guy's reports with a grain of salt.

tmp

Mar 22, 2017, 2:52:38 PM3/22/17
If they go with 5 outfielders, 4 of them seem to already be cast in stone; Cespedes, Granderson, Lagares, and Bruce. So it probably comes down to either Conforto or Nimmo making the roster, and the other going to Vegas.

My thought had been that Conforto would stay, and Nimmo would go to Vegas. I actually would like to see BOTH of them on the roster, but the Bruce situation gets in the way of that.

ruben safir

Mar 22, 2017, 6:25:56 PM3/22/17
On 03/22/2017 02:52 PM, tmp wrote:
> My thought had been that Conforto would stay, and Nimmo would go to Vegas. I actually would like to see BOTH of them on the roster, but the Bruce situation gets in the way of that.

Cut Bruce and trade Lagaras.

Beach Runner

Mar 24, 2017, 10:45:54 AM3/24/17
While I believe Conforto has a much higher ceiling and they should get him into
the lineup, that's just silly.

Bruce had 2 bad months in his career. When he came to the Mets he was leading
the league in RBIs. You don't throw away a man with that much proven ability
based on 2 months. Trade him for value so Conforto can play daily? Yes.

Just cut Bruce? Absurd, based purely on emotion.

Be objective.

ruben safir

Mar 24, 2017, 1:08:02 PM3/24/17
On 03/24/2017 10:45 AM, Beach Runner wrote:
> Bruce had 2 bad months in his career. When he came to the Mets he was leading
> the league in RBIs. You don't throw away a man with that much proven ability
> based on 2 months. Trade him for value so Conforto can play daily? Yes.

No, it is not true. He is not that good and is filler at best.

His OBP was 294 in 2015, which means he has had whole years where he
just sucked.

In 2014 he had a OBP of 281... that is Reye Ordenez territory

He sucks and we can just cut bait

Beach Runner

Mar 24, 2017, 10:54:01 PM3/24/17
His OBP may be in Ordenez territory, but his 162 game average for home runs and RBIs over all his seasons is average 31 hrs, average 94 rbis. He had freaking
99 RBIs last year, even sucking while being with the Mets. He's only 30. He produces runs. He even averaged 85 runs. That is not Ordenez territory. Runs win games.

Yes, I'd rather have Conforto playing every day, let Bruce be the seasoned vet that fills in and pinch hits, or if Conforto falls into a slump, let Bruce play. Give Granderson some time off and shift Conforto to CF. Give Cespadas an occasional day off, he plays hurt too often. He can also DH or play and let one of the other starters rest by DHing. The demand for Bruce will be there when a club is looking for a power hitter and they can trade for someone that makes sense.

I'd like them to give Flores a real chance to rock and roll at first. While his range was limited for a middle infielder, as a first baseman, he seems to be exceptional. I assume he's right handed, so that's unusual. Just fields everything hit that way. Speed is not one of his strengths, but for a first baseman, he covers ground. Strange, being right handed he may have found his spot. I wonder with his great hands, an excellent arm, being slow as shit, what kind of catcher he could be? That's thinking outside the box, perhaps he'd vastly increase his value.

The demand for Bruce will be there when a club is looking for a power hitter.
Then they can trade him and get something that fills a greater need. The role I described would be perfect for him.

Bob

ruben safir

Mar 24, 2017, 11:51:44 PM3/24/17
On 03/24/2017 10:54 PM, Beach Runner wrote:
> but his 162 game average for home runs and RBIs over all his seasons is average 31 hrs, average 94 rbis.

Those numbers in isolation are worthless, particularly in this case.
Don't underestimate just how bad Bruce is and don't, my friend,
underestimate plain math.

Bruce was collecting RBU's because he had the greatest On Base Machine
of the century hitting in front of his. Joey Votto was on base a
WHOPPING 290 times in front of Bruce, and Bradon Philips had a 320 OBP
as well, not startling but decent. And nobody was hitting behind him
sucking up RBIs.

He Sucks... let us count the ways he sucks.

He can't fucking field with a dwar of -1.8. You are better off with an
Irish Setter out there shagging flies. His 219 .294 .391 slash line was
in no way inconsistent with his .222 .288 .406 slashline over the LAST
TWO YEARS of production. That is RIGHT. What we saw that frustrated
Mets Fans so much was NORMAL for Bruce and not the exception. He
averages 162 Ks per 162 games, which is numbers that would embarrass
Dave Kingman. His OPS+ have been hovering about 90... or less. On any
reasonable team not the Reds, he'd been pulled from the line up and even
with Votto hitting in front of him he wasn't in the top ten in RBIs

He is literally the WORST RATED Regular RFer in Basball.

Here is SIMPLE MATH

Bruce value -0.5

Subtraction of Bruce is an increase of production and more wins.
Playing Bruce loses GAMES.

END of discussion. The reason why we can't trade him is because nobody
wants him, and rightfully so.

Cut bait with the bastard. I have no patience for playing useless
veterans who make us lose games.

As long as Bruce is on this roster, I will not buy tickets. I don't
want him at 1st, or RF or LF. I don't want his sorry ass on the bench.

Cut his ass and cut it now!! I have a dozen exciting prospects I'd
rather see. Nimmo, Conforto, Cecchini, Rivera, Rosario, Smith, Evans...

I'd rather see Gene Cone from the Cyclones rather than Jay Bruce.

Cut his ass and cut it now!

Popping mad

Mar 25, 2017, 5:52:19 PM3/25/17

> Cut his ass and cut it now!

http://m.mlb.com/nym/video/topic/26668334/v1247238283/nymatl-conforto-
jacks-solo-homer-to-rightcenter/?c_id=nym

Beach Runner

Mar 25, 2017, 6:04:35 PM3/25/17
There is no question that based on Spring performance, Conforto should
be starting over Bruce. He could be a game changer.

tmp

Mar 26, 2017, 9:15:23 AM3/26/17
I'd be shocked if they sent him to Vegas. He's hitting .346 with a 1.005 OPS this spring. I know it's spring training, but even so, it would be ridiculous to send him down now. Lagares got hurt yesterday, so that may also open a spot for Nimmo temporarily, depending on the severity.

tmp

Mar 26, 2017, 9:19:25 AM3/26/17
Also agree he should start over Bruce, but I doubt that will happen unless Bruce suffers an injury.

ruben safir

Mar 26, 2017, 3:36:18 PM3/26/17
On 03/26/2017 09:19 AM, tmp wrote:
> Also agree he should start over Bruce, but I doubt that will happen unless Bruce suffers an injury.

Don't tempt fate.

Popping mad

Mar 26, 2017, 3:37:55 PM3/26/17
On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 06:19:24 -0700, tmp wrote:

> Also agree he should start over Bruce, but I doubt that will happen
> unless Bruce suffers an injury.

would Dilson Herera play over Conforto?

Beach Runner

Mar 26, 2017, 3:47:47 PM3/26/17
Well, Conforto is outplaying Bruce in spring training big time. He looks much better.

It's all business. They want to play Bruce so he can hit and they can trade him and not lose a ton of money. If he doesn't start to hit, they'll play Conforto, and a AL team looking for a power hitter may sign him, based on his lifetime stats, still being young, but couldn't play in NY. A lot of players can't play historically for the Mets or the Yankees, while other's shined. Some had to adjust. People like Cepapadas, Carter, Hernandez, Piazza, Reggie Jackson, Franco, Howard Johnson immediately jump to mind, and a few other mid career players immediately made huge contributions. With a little thought, it would be easy to find stars
that failed to perform in New York.

ruben safir

Mar 26, 2017, 3:56:35 PM3/26/17
In return for Bruce, the Mets sent one-time second baseman of the future
Dilson Herrera to the Reds along with minor league left-hander Max
Wotell. The deal was renegotiated for hours Monday because of an issue
with the physicals. It initially included outfielder Brandon Nimmo,
according to a team source.

thank god for small miracles

Beach Runner

Mar 26, 2017, 9:39:31 PM3/26/17
The Mets last year had a number of miracles happen for them last year. Lugo, Gselman, Rivera, all came in at the end dominated at the major league level. Caberrea and Cespadas were hurt. They need more time off.

It seems they can never have enough starting pitching, especially losing
Colon.

ruben safir

Mar 27, 2017, 1:09:02 AM3/27/17
On 03/26/2017 09:39 PM, Beach Runner wrote:
> The Mets last year had a number of miracles happen for them last year. Lugo, Gselman, Rivera, all came in at the end dominated at the major league level. Caberrea and Cespadas were hurt. They need more time off.
>
> It seems they can never have enough starting pitching, especially losing
> Colon.
i think they had the wost offense in basbeall when they aquires Bruce.
The problem is that Bruce doesn't make it better. What made it better
was then they went by the following run, if you hit you play...

Ruben Safir

Mar 27, 2017, 9:52:05 AM3/27/17
If they send Bruce to Las Vegas, his numbers will inflate like they did
in Cincinatti and his value will go up. You can't help but be tempted
by a player with a 800 BA and 900 Slugging in AAA

Beach Runner

Mar 27, 2017, 8:01:35 PM3/27/17
Over 162 games, considering the Mets, if they are going to play hard, will need 4 outfielders. They will also dh, Granderson is smart, but he's 36. Both Bruce and Cespadas would benefit from recovery time. /ces

Jim S.....

Mar 27, 2017, 8:23:46 PM3/27/17
Do you do a lot of drugs?

ruben safir

Mar 27, 2017, 9:45:40 PM3/27/17
On 03/27/2017 08:01 PM, Beach Runner wrote:
> Over 162 games, considering the Mets, if they are going to play hard, will need 4 outfielders. They will also dh, Granderson is smart, but he's 36. Both Bruce and Cespadas would benefit from recovery time. /ces

I love Granderson but you can't forget that he was almost 0 for
April-July last season. We can't go through another slow period like that.