alltime great Mets 25 man roster

ruben safir

Feb 3, 2018, 12:37:25 PM2/3/18

1st - Hernandez
2nd - Fonzie
3rd - Wright
SS - Reyes
C - Piazza
LF - Cleon Jones
CF - Carlos Beltran
RF - Daryl Strawberry

Pitching 1 Seaver
Pitching 2 Gooden
Pitching 3 Cone
Pitching 4 Matlack
Pitching 5 DeGrom

Relief 1 Orosco
Relief 2 Franco
Relief 3 Koosman
Relief 4 Johan Santana

C - Hundley
IF - Olerud
IF - HoJo
IF - Ventura
IF - Rosario (I need a SS and we hav none)
OF - Maz
OF - Cepedes
OF - Agee

That is a 25 man roster.

Beach Runner

Feb 3, 2018, 5:36:19 PM2/3/18
You;d rather have Cleon Jones and Cespedas?
Hundley over Carter or Grote
Rosario hasn't really proven himself. Mets won a lot of games with Harrelson.

ruben safir

Feb 3, 2018, 8:38:59 PM2/3/18
On 02/03/2018 05:36 PM, Beach Runner wrote:
> Rosario hasn't really proven himself. Mets won a lot of games with Harrelson.

and lost a lot of games with Harrelson.
They've had no SS's other than Reyes and Harrelson, unless you want to
consider Hubbie Brooks, Howard Johnson, and Wilma Flores.

Ruben Safir

Feb 5, 2018, 11:49:25 AM2/5/18
If you look at it closely, you relize it is not really close. Jones was
a much better ballplayer than Cespedes and Cespedes has been injured.

> Hundley over Carter or Grote

Actually, before Carter would be Sterns

Piazza, Hundley, Sterns, Carter.

Carter had a lotof bad years in NY.

> Rosario hasn't really proven himself. Mets won a lot of games with Harrelson.

OK St Reye has been the best SS they have had ;)

tmp

Feb 6, 2018, 2:31:32 PM2/6/18
No argument with the starting lineup.

I can't put Rosario on the team based on what, 2 months? Of course, I think he will be there eventually.

Instead of Rosario, I have to get Carter on the team. I know he was only there 5 years, but he was such a key player and prominent figure on two of the best Mets teams ever, 98 wins in 1985, and 108 wins and the World Series in 1986 (They've only won 2 of those). He also played on the 1988 team (100 wins), although clearly diminished.

If you want a 2nd SS, either Ordonez or Harrelson can replace Maz.

Ruben Safir

Feb 6, 2018, 2:47:01 PM2/6/18
I thought the contraversal point would be Mazilli on the roster.
Basically, after mulling things over, I decided that Maz was one of the
6th best OFer we have had, and I based that on his very good OBP, which
was nearlly 400 and his outstanding contribution in '86. When you look
back on it, Maz was a better OFer for the Mets than Dykstra, McReyolds,
Granderson, Staub, Mitchel, Kingman, and even that all time great, Agbiani!

I also left Murph and Kent off the list and there is no 2ndbaseman on
the bench.

tmp

Feb 6, 2018, 4:46:05 PM2/6/18
Once you get past the obvious ones, there's always room for debate. I just scanned the list, and went from memory, and Rosario being there and Carter missing were the only 2 that jumped off the page.

Without researching the numbers, I can't say off hand whether Maz belongs there or not, but he was one of my favorite players from back in that era. Other than the throwing arm, he was a pretty decent all around player. The Mets have not exactly had a lot of great outfielders, at least not one in the prime of their careers.