Nimmo is making his case

ruben safir

Sep 12, 2017, 12:56:10 AM9/12/17
"One of my favorite late-season statistics is Nimmo's walk rate, which
has reached 17.3 percent in a no-longer-tiny sample of 139 plate
appearances. To put that into context, only Mike Trout, Joey Votto and
Aaron Judge have walked more frequently among qualified Major League
hitters."

If he hits at all, they will have a very solid outfield. You just can
not ignore a 400 OBP. I wish we could see similar improvement from
Cecchini, and even Smith.

matt....@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2017, 10:40:14 AM9/12/17
He seems to be capable of hitting, and with some power. Hard to project him from a small
sample, but recall this is the guy that had as a pinch-hitter extraordinaire. He also looks decent
in the outfield, although it is hard to say if he's really a center fielder.

Smith is starting to heat up, you can see what they liked about him. I like him at first too. Haven't
really seen enough of Gavin to say if he's what they need at second.

Matt

ruben safir

Sep 13, 2017, 12:02:30 AM9/13/17
On 09/12/2017 10:40 AM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> He seems to be capable of hitting, and with some power. Hard to project him from a small
> sample, but recall this is the guy that had as a pinch-hitter extraordinaire. He also looks decent
> in the outfield, although it is hard to say if he's really a center fielder.
>
> Smith is starting to heat up, you can see what they liked about him. I like him at first too. Haven't
> really seen enough of Gavin to say if he's what they need at second.

I love his srikezone control and I wish Flores would learn some of this.

Nimmo makes the pitcher work every time and he is going to be the
leadoff hitter next season, as far as I can tell, and he has earned it.
I expect some rough spots. He is not the natural launching pad like
Conforto or other hitters, but his ability to make the pitcher through
over the plate is rare and makes for the great hitters.

ruben safir

Sep 13, 2017, 12:05:55 AM9/13/17
On 09/12/2017 10:40 AM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> He seems to be capable of hitting, and with some power. Hard to project him from a small
> sample, but recall this is the guy that had as a pinch-hitter extraordinaire. He also looks decent
> in the outfield, although it is hard to say if he's really a center fielder.

of course, Nimmo was out of the lineup tonight because... well Collins
is a mad genius.

matt....@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2017, 11:59:22 AM9/13/17
Just a normal off day. Even the kids need them, he's played a lot lately. I have no problem with this move.

Matt

Popping mad

Sep 14, 2017, 12:12:04 AM9/14/17
On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 08:59:20 -0700, matt....@gmail.com wrote:

> Just a normal off day. Even the kids need them,

they have all winter. He was out of the line up again today BTW

matt....@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2017, 1:09:33 PM9/14/17
Well, yes, they do.

He was a pinch hitter. I assume Collins doesn't think he does well against lefties, or simply wanted to see more of Taijeron.

Matt

ruben safir

Sep 14, 2017, 9:20:17 PM9/14/17
On 09/14/2017 01:09 PM, matt....@gmail.com wrote:
> I assume Collins doesn't think he does well against lefties, or simply wanted to see more of Taijeron.

because he is the future?

Popping mad

Sep 14, 2017, 9:24:46 PM9/14/17
David Magadan - with speed.

ruben safir

Sep 14, 2017, 11:48:54 PM9/14/17

matt....@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2017, 11:52:07 AM9/15/17
Taijeron? Or Nimmo?

Not that there was anything terrible about Dave Magadan.

Matt

Ruben Safir

Sep 15, 2017, 7:55:17 PM9/15/17
Nimmo and it is a complement, especially sinc he has more power than
Magadan had.

Did you catch him arguing balls and strikes last night?

> Matt

tmp

Sep 16, 2017, 9:21:48 AM9/16/17
And the thing about Nimmo is that what he's doing now is not a fluke. He has a history of strike zone judgement and good OBP (.387 in the minors, .377 in MLB).

Add to that he's a good baserunner, and a good defensive outfielder, and always hustles, and it should be a no-brainer that he's starts in next year's outfield.

ruben safir

Sep 16, 2017, 12:06:12 PM9/16/17
On 09/16/2017 09:21 AM, tmp wrote:
> Add to that he's a good baserunner, and a good defensive outfielder, and always hustles, and it should be a no-brainer that he's starts in next year's outfield.

He has had some interesting times tracking balls, and despite being
slower, Conforto is actually a better fielder. He will learn with
experience, but this reminds me a bit of Strawberry as a fielder. There
will always be a clumsiness in his tracks on balls, I think.

Beach Runner

Sep 16, 2017, 7:40:50 PM9/16/17
I think you nailed it on defense. Conforto uses better instincts, hands, and arm. Nimo though could improve a lot, while I think with Conforto what we see is what we get as far as defense.

Nimo has shown they don't need to get another outfielder. They have 4 fine outfielders, Cespedes, Conforto, Nimo and Larges. They need not spend money on another.

Popping mad

Sep 17, 2017, 2:00:06 PM9/17/17
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 16:40:49 -0700, Beach Runner wrote:

> Nimo has shown they don't need to get another outfielder. They have 4
> fine outfielders, Cespedes, Conforto, Nimo and Larges. They need not
> spend money on another.

their problem hasn't been bats... but that being said, I don't know how
Conforto will come back.

tmp

Sep 18, 2017, 8:42:58 AM9/18/17
Right, I have seen him misplay a few balls - one just the other night. Hopefully that improves, but overall he should easily be a starter next year

Bigsby

Sep 18, 2017, 9:07:03 AM9/18/17
On 18-Sep-17 08:42, tmp wrote:
> On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 12:06:12 PM UTC-4, ruben safir wrote:
>> On 09/16/2017 09:21 AM, tmp wrote:
>>> Add to that he's a good baserunner, and a good defensive outfielder, and always hustles, and it should be a no-brainer that he's starts in next year's outfield.
>>

>> He has had some interesting times tracking balls, and despite being
>> slower, Conforto is actually a better fielder. He will learn with
>> experience, but this reminds me a bit of Strawberry as a fielder. There
>> will always be a clumsiness in his tracks on balls, I think.
>
> Right, I have seen him misplay a few balls - one just the other night.

Since you are an expert in knowing how to play with balls, we can trust
your observation.

matt....@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2017, 10:01:09 AM9/19/17
I did, and I can't really blame him. That last strike was just an awful call.

Matt

> > Matt

matt....@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2017, 10:02:55 AM9/19/17
From everything I've read, his hitting shouldn't be affected, nor should this really be a long term
problem. It is hard to say, of course, and this is the Mets. With that said, he's young, he's in good
shape, I think he'll be fine.

Matt

Popping mad

Sep 19, 2017, 11:27:38 AM9/19/17
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 07:01:07 -0700, matt....@gmail.com wrote:

>> Did you catch him arguing balls and strikes last night?
>
> I did, and I can't really blame him. That last strike was just an awful
> call.

Oh he was completely right and completely lucky for not getting tossed :)

It was a pleasure to see.

Popping mad

Sep 19, 2017, 11:34:58 AM9/19/17
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 07:02:54 -0700, matt....@gmail.com wrote:

> From everything I've read, his hitting shouldn't be affected,

Matt,

I just don't believe those reports. His entire shoulder needs to be
rebuilt and he blue up the shoulder on a **routine** follow through of a
swing.

For the rest of his life he is going to get up there and question if his
swing will do that again. It is only human, and that is assuming they
rebuild this most complex of all human joints, correctly.

Beach Runner

Sep 19, 2017, 5:36:18 PM9/19/17
You don't paint a very rosy picture. What do you know about other players that have had similar injuries?

Beach Runner

Sep 19, 2017, 5:42:49 PM9/19/17
On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 8:34:58 AM UTC-7, Popping mad wrote:
Is this relevant. http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/adult/spine_shoulder_and_pelvis_disorders/rotator_cuff_injury_85,p01381

ruben safir

Sep 19, 2017, 7:04:08 PM9/19/17
On 09/19/2017 05:36 PM, Beach Runner wrote:
> What do you know about other players that have had similar injuries?

i don't think there has ever been any

ruben safir

Sep 19, 2017, 7:35:06 PM9/19/17

ruben safir

Sep 19, 2017, 7:35:49 PM9/19/17
I don't think that is what happened to him. It is not a rotator cuff
injury.

https://jomi.com/article/3/arthroscopic-repair-of-posterior-labral-tear-with-paralabral-cyst-decompression/

there was a better article but I can not find it.

ruben safir

Sep 19, 2017, 7:36:59 PM9/19/17
On 09/19/2017 05:36 PM, Beach Runner wrote:
> You don't paint a very rosy picture.

not just Conforto, but also Flores. What is the chances he returns and
continues to improve after that accident?