Wilmer Flores: “I’m Going to Work My Ass Off”

ruben safir

Nov 19, 2017, 1:03:33 PM11/19/17
http://metsmerizedonline.com/2017/11/wilmer-flores-im-going-to-work-my-ass-off.html/

Wilmer Flores‘s season didn’t end quite the way he wanted it to.

On Sept. 2 in the second game of a double dip with the Houston Astros,
Flores fouled off a ball that hit him in the face, effectively ending
his season.

He finished his year hitting 18 homers and driving in 52 runs while
hitting at a .271/.307/.488 clip with a 106 wRC+, .331 wOBA, .217 ISO
and .270 BABIP in 362 plate appearances.

“I feel really good about the year I had,” Flores said Thursday at Citi
Field.

Flores also appeared on the Sports Zone with Pete McCarthy on Friday and
said that he will seize his opportunity when given a chance to play
everyday.

“If they give me one (position), I’ll work my ass off to be the best I
can be at that position,” Flores said.

The 26-year-old spent a majority of his time at third base this past
season, while also getting reps at first and second.

This week, Mets assistant general manager John Ricco said the team is
leaning in the direction of having Asdrubal Cabrera starting the season
at the hot corner.

The team has been rumored to be interested in external infield
solutions, but with T.J. Rivera also hoping to be ready for the
beginning of the season, a logjam of sorts is starting to form.

However, with Dominic Smith reportedly not a lock to start the season as
the starting first baseman, Flores could get a hefty amount of playing
time there if the team doesn’t bring in a free agent or make a trade.

“It’s like every year. I can’t tell you what’s going to happen but all I
can tell you is I’m ready, that’s it,” Flores said. “I’m just ready for
anything.”

Regardless, Flores has improved each year he has been with the team and
will either breakout here in New York or will do it with another team.
Mets fans can only hope for the former.