Thank You Sandy II

ruben safir

Mar 16, 2017, 8:02:25 PM3/16/17
One of the most amazing transformations in this team since Sandy took
over is that the NY Mets is once again the place every player wants to
play (-minus Ben Zobrist). And much of that is a combination of a
steady hand at the wheel who allows the fans to come to appreciate the
players (by not alienating fans by turning over players every week), and
the core personality of Mets Fans themselves.

It's interesting, that in NYC, the dynamic and personality of Mets Fans
and Yankee Fans is completely different. Mets fans really are the heirs
of the Dodgers and the Giants. They are not arrogant. They are
extremely humble, and appreciative of the game as an art form, so to
speak. They hope to win and have been winners, but it is never a given,
which makes our hero's that much more heroic. Players should LOVE to
play here. Hell, even Chipper Jones loved to play here! It takes a lot
of fucking things up to empty that stadium and turn the fans on the team
and players.

Look how much everyone __wants__ to be a Mets now.

Flores, Reyes, Wright, Murphy, Dickey, Wheeler, Cabera, Walker, and now
Cepedes.

Read this, it can bring a tear to your eyes:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/yoenis-cespedes-mets/

"The first time I put on a Mets uniform and walked onto the field in New
York, the fans greeted me with so many cheers. I knew that the Mets were
going to be a good fit for me. I could feel it. The way I was welcomed
by the team and the fans, and the way they made me really feel wanted
for the first time since I had first signed with the Athletics — I just
knew I was not going to find that anywhere else. Not like that."

That is the love that Mike Piazza has for us, and Keith and Darling and
Strawberry and Backman, and Tom and Kooz, and Grote, and GIL and
everyone but Richie Ashburn!

tmp

Mar 18, 2017, 12:52:15 PM3/18/17
Or Richie Hebner (maybe it's the name Richie).

Anyway, when Alderson was hired in 2011, it seemed like a good move to me, but I was worried that the Wilpons would find a way to ruin it anyway, no matter who the GM was. Have to admit now that I was wrong about that. Maybe, just maybe, the Wilpons have finally learned something about how to run a baseball team (like to stay out of the way).

Enjoyed reading the Cespedes article.

Beach Runner

Mar 18, 2017, 1:05:16 PM3/18/17
That is indeed a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it. What a spring he's having while healthy. Imagine a full healthy, motivated year from him, he's a likely MVP.

ruben safir

Mar 18, 2017, 4:19:02 PM3/18/17
On 03/18/2017 12:52 PM, tmp wrote:
> Enjoyed reading the Cespedes article.

Fulmer for Cespedes? Do you make that trade today?

ruben safir

Mar 19, 2017, 12:15:03 AM3/19/17
On 03/18/2017 12:52 PM, tmp wrote:
> Anyway, when Alderson was hired in 2011, it seemed like a good move to me, but I was worried that the Wilpons would find a way to ruin it anyway,

There was a lot of reason to have that feeling. The not only meddled,
but seemed to do so in the most nonconstructive way possible. To their
credit, they have the desire to win. They always do. And they love
baseball. They have been open to learning and bringing in who they
think was the best. But they just didn't learn.

And then they worshipsed Rick Petersen. That drove me crazy.

no matter who the GM was. Have to admit now that I was wrong about that.

I've just happy Dave Werthen hasn't destroyed the pitching staff.

Maybe, just maybe, the Wilpons have finally learned something about how
to run a baseball
team (like to stay out of the way).

Like how to have patience, and develop a team from top to bottom.

tmp

Mar 19, 2017, 10:41:43 AM3/19/17
Well by now, Fulmer would be in the Mets rotation, probably their #3 starter behind Synderguaard and deGrom. And before they traded for Cespedes, I wasn't all that impressed with him as a hitter, even though he clearly had tremendous power. He has become a better hitter with the Mets than he was before.

Given the above, I wouldn't want to make that trade now - which doesn't mean I would be right - just being honest.

Beach Runner

Mar 19, 2017, 8:04:15 PM3/19/17
I disagree. He gave the Mets a World Series appearance, and the Mets still are deep in pitching. They have no other hitter any where near the impact that Cespadas has, and he played injured most of last year.

I expect a monster year from him if he's not injured. No one is close to his offensive capabilities and in left field an incredible arm. And he runs the base paths with incredible speed.

I wish Fulmer well. Not sure he'd be more than a 4th or 5th starter.

Popping mad

Mar 19, 2017, 10:14:26 PM3/19/17
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 17:04:14 -0700, Beach Runner wrote:

> Not sure he'd be more than a 4th or 5th starter.

how do you figure that?

Popping mad

Mar 19, 2017, 10:24:37 PM3/19/17
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 17:04:14 -0700, Beach Runner wrote:

11-6 with a 136 ERA+ in over 130 innings generally doesn't describe a 4th
or 5th starter.

tmp

Mar 20, 2017, 12:10:51 PM3/20/17
On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 8:04:15 PM UTC-4, Beach Runner wrote:
> On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 7:41:43 AM UTC-7, tmp wrote:
> > >
> > > Fulmer for Cespedes? Do you make that trade today?
> >
> > Well by now, Fulmer would be in the Mets rotation, probably their #3 starter behind Synderguaard and deGrom. And before they traded for Cespedes, I wasn't all that impressed with him as a hitter, even though he clearly had tremendous power. He has become a better hitter with the Mets than he was before.
> >
> > Given the above, I wouldn't want to make that trade now - which doesn't mean I would be right - just being honest.
>
> I disagree. He gave the Mets a World Series appearance, and the Mets still are deep in pitching.

That's fine, but irrelevant to the question asked. The question asked was would I make the same trade NOW, meaning Cespedes would NOT be on the Mets yet, and would NOT have taken them to the World Series in 2105.

> I expect a monster year from him if he's not injured. No one is close to his offensive capabilities and in left field an incredible arm. And he runs the base paths with incredible speed.

I don't disagree, and I'm happy he is on the team now, but again that has nothing to do with the question that was asked above.

Beach Runner

Mar 21, 2017, 1:26:07 AM3/21/17
Syndergard, Degroom, Matz, all start before him. So at best that makes him 4th. Then we have the unknown, what will Harvey bring back to the table, Gsellman and Lugo. Who would the Mets rather have now, their potential MVP slugger, playing every day, or one more pitcher? With Fulmer and no Cespadas they do not go to the post season. With Cespadas they do.

Popping mad

Mar 21, 2017, 11:52:09 AM3/21/17
On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 22:26:06 -0700, Beach Runner wrote:

> Syndergard, Degroom, Matz, all start before him.

Matz starts before him? I don't think so and this might be unfair
because Degrom and Syndergard are both number 1 pitchers.... Degrom
better than Syndergard, BTW. Syndergard actually reminds me of Sid
Fernandez so far in that he can not complete a game of pitch deep enough.

I do agree that without Cespedes, they are a much weaker team.