Conforto can't play defense

Popping mad

Jul 20, 2017, 12:01:44 AM7/20/17
http://m.mlb.com/nym/video/v1621187383/stlnym-conforto-races-to-track-
down-yadis-fly-ball/?affiliateId=clubMEGAMENU

He looks more and more like a Center Fielder.

Beach Runner

Jul 20, 2017, 12:35:04 AM7/20/17
He lacks the speed to be a real center fielder. He's their best choice now,
but his range is limited compared to a real center fielder. The Mets need
to open a corner spot for him.

tmp

Jul 26, 2017, 2:36:00 PM7/26/17
He can play it, and is getting better with experience. He has also said that he likes playing CF, which is half the battle (see results of Reyes trying to play 3B)

With both Bruce and Granderson probably not returning next season, Conforto would be fine in CF, or I'd also have no problem with him playing RF with Nimmo in CF. Actually it would be a toss up between those 2 as far as who plays CF vs RF.

If they do bring Bruce back in RF, Conforto in CF with Nimmo and Lagares as the 4th and 5th OF would make a solid outfield.

Beach Runner

Jul 26, 2017, 9:56:41 PM7/26/17
I agree, he likes it, and he has excellent reflexes. What he lacks is the extensive range of a real center fielder. Can they win with him in center?
Yes, it's not a show stopper. He's not terrible.

But he will cost runs in the outfield, and they can turn into big hits he can't get to that will result in big innings. Great center fielders cover a lot of ground.

ruben safir

Jul 26, 2017, 10:02:20 PM7/26/17
On 07/26/2017 02:35 PM, tmp wrote:
> nforto in CF with Nimmo and Lagares as the 4th and 5th OF would make a solid outfield.

they are not even including Nimmo in the conversation at this point,
which IMO is a huge error.

ruben safir

Jul 26, 2017, 10:06:57 PM7/26/17
On 07/26/2017 09:56 PM, Beach Runner wrote:
> What he lacks is the extensive range of a real center fielder.

I've been at the stadium watching there current roster of OFers for
quite a few games and Conforto has the largest range of any of the OFers
on the current roster, including Reyes.

It's not close.

ruben safir

Jul 26, 2017, 10:07:50 PM7/26/17
On 07/26/2017 09:56 PM, Beach Runner wrote:
> But he will cost runs in the outfield,

Only when compared to Largares maybe, but maybe you don't need an OFer
who players LF and RF at the same time.

Beach Runner

Jul 27, 2017, 9:59:37 PM7/27/17
How many games have you seen Reyes play outfield?

Speed helps. Reyes now has 501 SB. In fact, his combination of stolen bases, home runs, and triples is only matched by Lou Brock.

ruben safir

Jul 27, 2017, 10:08:08 PM7/27/17
On 07/27/2017 09:59 PM, Beach Runner wrote:
> Speed helps. Reyes now has 501 SB. In fact, his combination of stolen bases, home runs, and triples is only matched by Lou Brock.

you keep forgetting the part where is OBP is like 200 and he shouldn't
be a starting player

Hass

Jul 28, 2017, 7:28:08 AM7/28/17
.290

Beach Runner

Jul 28, 2017, 11:56:22 AM7/28/17
He had a horrendous start. It's climbing and he's scoring runs and getting to balls Cabera can't get to. He's hitting great since moving to SS on a regular basis this year. And, he steals bases and scores runs.

Look at Cespedas, he's been mediocre at best. If he had a normal year the Mets would easily be 5 games ahead of here they are more, maybe more.

Players go through slumps.

ruben safir

Jul 28, 2017, 3:10:02 PM7/28/17
On 07/28/2017 11:56 AM, Beach Runner wrote:
> He had a horrendous start.

no he sucks at this point and shouldn't be on the roster. Nothing else
needs to be said that hasn't already been pointed out to you about how
much he sucks.